blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

They say that tcp/ip (as opposed to udp/ip) is reliable and gaurrantees
packet delivery to destination. But if some rounter along the way is too
busy it drops packets and that is why sometimes we see a page not being
loaded or a file being downloaded just stops in the middle and we end up
retrying the action. So how can tcp claim that it *guarrantees* packets are
delivered safely?

blah wrote:

> They say that tcp/ip (as opposed to udp/ip) is reliable and gaurrantees
> packet delivery to destination. But if some rounter along the way is too
> busy it drops packets and that is why sometimes we see a page not being
> loaded or a file being downloaded just stops in the middle and we end up
> retrying the action. So how can tcp claim that it *guarrantees* packets are
> delivered safely?

The TCP protocol requests to repeat transmission of any missing package.
The effect is a slow-down, but the integrity of the data is not compromised.

--
Veel plezier / Have fun
Bert

Mail via hccnet.nl