A new graphic card OR A new computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rorschachs

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
OK.. so someone here gave me an advice for a graphic card that would help me at this thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=33&post=370469&page=1&p=6&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

NOW!
I would like to know what would be more effective.
Buying the card in the other thread (BTW - power supply and stats of my current computer are there),
OR Buying a new computer , about this one: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-pc-overclocking-pc-building,3273.html

Help? I have NO IDEA when it comes to this stuff ><...

Solution
If I were you I would get a 7750 now and then save your money up to put a system together that is better than the one in the system builder challenge.... especially bc you said you are looking to game at lower resolutions you do not need anything more powerful right now....but the gpu now and save up your money and in a year or so gather more research and throw down for a better system. seems like you are just getting into this whole pc building business its addicting and you will just want more and more so wait until you can go big

drums101

Distinguished
If I were you I would get a 7750 now and then save your money up to put a system together that is better than the one in the system builder challenge.... especially bc you said you are looking to game at lower resolutions you do not need anything more powerful right now....but the gpu now and save up your money and in a year or so gather more research and throw down for a better system. seems like you are just getting into this whole pc building business its addicting and you will just want more and more so wait until you can go big

Solution

To help clarify your options, run these two tests:

a) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 50%.
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.

Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
set to 50% and see how you do.

If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.

G

that E8400 you have isn't that bad for gaming compared to a sandy bridge. i just read an article with benches in various games last night:
Test: Is your Intel Core 2 Duo still up to date? - Gaming Performance HD 7970
Conclusion

As you can see from those results, the Intel Core2Duo is still up to date if you compare it to the FX-4170/FX-8150 from AMD. Okay in some games like Batman, DIRT2 and BattleField 3, the AMD FXs are 20 % faster than the Core2Duo and even 30 % under Call of Duty and Crysis 2. But still on average the gap between the FXs and the Core2Duo is only 13 %. Which is not bad at all since the E8400 is four years old, has only two cores clocked at 3.0 GHz.

drums101 has a good suggestion even though you will see a increase in performance with the sandy pentium in the $500 SBG; you will have a much larger performance difference if you can get an i3 or better yet and i5 in the same build.

Rorschachs

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
Thank you all, I decided to go with the card! I already checked my FPS ages ago and i'm sure the graphics are what causing it.
You are really helping me with this process and I hope to be able to ask you guys more questions in the future, great forum and a great community.
Good bye for now and thanks again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.