Australian $1800ish Build

stalkerfang

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Hey guys,
I am looking to build my first PC ( gaming laptop user till now) and was just wondering if you guys could check my parts/ suggest some changes.

Approximate Purchase Date: Within 2 weeks

Budget Range: 1800

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (Witcher 2, Modded Skyrim, BF3, etc.), Internet

Parts Not Required: Mouse and headset

Preferred Website for Parts: Umart.com.au - Milton (or any RELIABLE Australian website that ships cheaply enough to Brisbane)

Overclocking: Possibly in the future

SLI or Crossfire: Possibly in the future

All I have at the moment is a Gaming laptop and a mouse, so Ill need an OS, Monitor and keyboard aswell (I've included some in my list just for an estimate on price- please give me suggestions especially for the Monitor/ Keyboard).

Here is a list of parts I have chosen as a rough guideline/ price estimate.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($230 at Umart.com.au)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO w Transparent 12cm ($35 at Umart.com.au)
Motherboard: Unsure (around $100- $140)
Memory: G Skill 16G(2x8G) DDR3 1600MHZ PC3-12800 CL10(10D-16GBXL) ($79 at Umart.com.au)
SSD: SanDisk Extreme SSD 240G - SATA3/MLC/SF-2281/3Yrs ($179)
Storage: Western Digital WD20EFRX RED NAS- 2TB/INTELLIPOWER/DDR2/150MBs/3.5 ($139 at Umart.com.au)
Video Card: GeForce 670 ($400ish) or 680 ($550ish)
Case: HAF 932 Advanced ($164 at Umart.com.au)
Power Supply: SilverStone ST75F-P 750W Power Supply, 80Plus Silver ($143 at Umart.com.au)
Optical Drive: LiteON SATA DVD-RW 24X Black ($28 at Umart.com.au)
Sound: ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 PCI Sound Card ($30 at Umart.com.au)
Monitor: Unsure- possibly 24inch or a good quality, cheapish larger monitor that fits in the budget. (maybe $150 to $200?)
Keyboard: Saitek Cyborg V7 USB Backlit Gaming Keyboard ($95 at Umart.com.au) (open to suggestions on this one! I have no clue about gaming keyboards!)
OS: Windows 8 ($40) (also unsure on this... Everything I've seen of it looks pretty bad, opinions?)

Total: Around $1800

Once again, I just stuck this together as a really rough idea of what I want. I am open to suggestions. Also, as I am in Australia, please do not suggest parts and prices from Newegg, unfortunately they do not ship to Australia! Umart is a computer shop that is local to me, so I would prefer to buy parts from them, but if there is a cheaper, reliable option, I am willing to try it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or ideas!

Solution
You dont even need 8 gig of RAM in a gamer , but 2 x4 gig will give you head room .

The WD RED hard drive is for a NAS not a desktop computer . Its will be very slow . Use a desktop hard drive

I wuld not bother with a sound card unless you have $500 speakers . Till then the on board sound will be more than enough .

Thge GTX 670 will play any game at 1080p resolution on the highest settings . The 680 is only a little faster
The gigabyte windforce cooler is probably the best available at this time

check out
pccasegear.com.au

You cannot install a windows 8 upgrade and then activate it on a new computer . You will need to buy an OEM disk
You dont even need 8 gig of RAM in a gamer , but 2 x4 gig will give you head room .

The WD RED hard drive is for a NAS not a desktop computer . Its will be very slow . Use a desktop hard drive

I wuld not bother with a sound card unless you have $500 speakers . Till then the on board sound will be more than enough .

Thge GTX 670 will play any game at 1080p resolution on the highest settings . The 680 is only a little faster
The gigabyte windforce cooler is probably the best available at this time

check out
pccasegear.com.au

You cannot install a windows 8 upgrade and then activate it on a new computer . You will need to buy an OEM disk

Solution

stalkerfang

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Hey guys, I just wanted to say a thankyou to all of your input, in the end, one of my neighbours told me he was selling a dual gtx 670 build for $1900... So I went for that instead of building my own :) Thanks for the suggestions anyway!