Display Resolution Incorrect

abdulw87

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Hey everyone,

i have an acer aspire t180 i bought it as a temporary PC till i gather some money and get a high end PC. I bought a low profile GT 210 to give my system a little graphics boost. Before i installed the drivers for the card, the onboard graphics were working fine and the resolution of the monitor was available in the resolution list as 1440x900 (Viewsonic VA1916w).

After i have installed the drivers for the GT210 and updated them to the latest version, the native resolution is not available in the list. I used the nvidia control panel to create a custom resolution of 1440x900 and applied scaling. Now the image is slightly fuzzy even when running at 75 Hz.

I rolled back the drivers and all hell breaks loose so i resort to installing the drivers that came with the card. I cant understand what is going wrong, the monitor only has VGA port so am stuck with that.

Darkoil

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
I had a similar problem yesterday, I was using VGA and everything was great and then I switched to HDMI and my picture was sort of fuzzy and didn't fit the screen properly, after messing around with the settings on the pc for about an hour I was about to give up when I read on a different post that the problem may be the settings in the monitor/TV. I simply had to select the source and then pick the correct input and as if by magic my screen sorted itself out.

abdulw87

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012

even at 60Hz its the same thing, have to create my own resolution and the fuzzyness is still there, MIGHT be a little less or maybe my eyes are getting used to it.

have you tried reinstalling the monitor drivers? (they are not really drivers, but it is an inf file that lets your hardware know what display modes your monitor will run)

chugot9218

Honorable
Meh, saw this solution out on the web, figured I would post it. It is possible that your GPU does not support that resolution, I haven't looked at it though.

* Best Resolution to work with Acer 1916w 19" monitor is 1440 x 900.
* Any how if this resolution is not coming in your resolution list, I suggest to follow the steps below, that were helped me to get out of this problem.

1. Restart your Computer
2. deactivate/Off DDC / CI from Monitors' Settings Menu
3. un-pluged My Monitor from CPU
4. Start the Computer
5. And check the Resolution Settings you will get 1440 x 900 option in your resolution list.
Source: http://shahjapan.blogspot.com/

abdulw87

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012

sorry but i cant find DDC/CI my monitor is viewsonic and you mentioned acer

abdulw87

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012

already tried them, they are signed drivers. i download the zip file and extract the exe file run it and after installation it says your driver is not found download unsigned drivers did that and they dont work either. Did a google search as well and found same drivers and that didnt work either. Although i am running a 32 bit system thought of checking out the 64 bit driver and that didnt work either same error of monitor not found. Am i doping anything wrong here.

I went to the location where the drivers were installed, i could see the model number of my monitor but updating the driverf from that location didnt work. there are three files one is an ICC file one is a setup information (open with notepad and configurations in it) and third is a security catalog.

chugot9218

Honorable
I think it is something with your refresh rate, the resolution should be okay to set as custom but the rate must be appropriate. I realize my link was for Acer but it sounds like the same issue.

abdulw87

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Powerstrip doens t seem to help either. i cerated a custom .inf file and the windows wont install it. it stick to the already installed driver of generic non-pnp monitor.

abdulw87

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Problem was solved by changing the vga cable. The wire was at fault, changed the wire and the computer recognized the monitor and adjusted resolution to the native res.

Thanks to everyone for the help.