Sign in with
Your question

Improve Windows 7 Standard VGA

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 24, 2012 8:04:06 PM

I have an ACER Intel i5 with ATI HD 5470. The display does not work well with the ATI graphics card which I believe must be broken - the screen gets flashing pixels all over and gradually gets worse as use increases until it becomes almost unusable. I have tried updating graphics drivers from ATI with no improvement.

When I disable the graphics card driver I get the Standard Windows 7 graphics driver. All the flashing pixels disappear but the resolution is poor.

I only use the computer for basic tasks so am happy with a basic display but wonder if there is a way I can get a slightly better resolution than under the Standard Windows 7 graphics driver.

Another alternative would be to 'turn off' the ATI graphics card and resort back to the 'onboard graphics' but I can't find a way to do that.

I've spent hours looking for a solution and can't find one, so any would would be really welcomed.
September 24, 2012 9:20:40 PM

hi jeremy
the main problem with windows "standard vga adapters " are the options you have ... which are pretty basic,however you should still be able to change the resolution to your monitors native resolution,so for example is its a 17" this will be 1280x1024 .. and to do this you need to right click anywhere on the desktop and select "screen resolution" ... then using the drop down menu change the resolution to your monitors native resolution.... to discover what your native resolution is you can google the model name of your pc/laptop and add "specs" to the search criteria ... this should direct you to pages that will list your displays native resolution
from the description you have given the problem seems to be driver related ... even with a standard windows vga adapter the information still needs to go via the HD5470,the only difference being is the drivers are not installed and features such as powerplay are not being used .....
flashing pixels are normally a sign of overheating .. this pushes the gpu too much which creates pixelating(artifacting ) ... however you can lower the core and memory clock speeds which will reduce the performance of the card but will also ensure it runs much cooler,and this hopefully will eradicate most of the pixelating
now normally i would recommend using the built in "overdrive " feature that comes with all amd/ati drivers however the only problem there is you cant underclock ..... so instead i recommend "ati tool "( http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/ ) ... this tool can underclock both core and memory clock speeds and also has a artifact scanning feature which will run a intensive 3d application in the shape of a fur cube ... this will stress the gpu and if you dont experience any pixelating or artifacts during this test then you can be sure it will run fine when doing general tasks
in regards to disabling the HD5470 well it depends if this card is allready onboard.. the HD5470 is a mobile graphics processing unit and unless your pc/laptop has dual gpu,s were one is used for gaming and the other for web browsing theres no way to disable your only gpu
that said with thousands of pc,s and laptops its impossible to be 100% sure... so if there is a option to disable your HD5470 it will be in the bios ( also known as set up ) .... now some bios,s can have several catergorys ... some have advanced options allowing more detailed adjustments ..... however the option you need to look for will be
1) onboard vga ( disable/enable)
2) HD5470 ( disable/enable )
3) init display first ... this lets the bios/cmos know what graphics adapter to use when booting
if you do have another graphics adapter then there will be a option in the bios..... you may find it in a catergory such as advanced bios features or advanced chipset features .... also if you change any settings remember to "save and exit set up " so the bios can remember these changes
personally i would try underclocking the HD5470 first using the ati tool ...... it may also be worth trying some older drivers ......just because a drivers new does not mean its the best,especially with older gpu,s
hope this helps
a b U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
September 24, 2012 9:32:33 PM

jeremyfisher said:
I have an ACER Intel i5 with ATI HD 5470. The display does not work well with the ATI graphics card which I believe must be broken - the screen gets flashing pixels all over and gradually gets worse as use increases until it becomes almost unusable. I have tried updating graphics drivers from ATI with no improvement.

When I disable the graphics card driver I get the Standard Windows 7 graphics driver. All the flashing pixels disappear but the resolution is poor.

I only use the computer for basic tasks so am happy with a basic display but wonder if there is a way I can get a slightly better resolution than under the Standard Windows 7 graphics driver.

Another alternative would be to 'turn off' the ATI graphics card and resort back to the 'onboard graphics' but I can't find a way to do that.

I've spent hours looking for a solution and can't find one, so any would would be really welcomed.

Sounds like the card is bad. The simplest thing to do is take it out, hook up the monitor cable to the onboard graphic adapter, and turn on the machine. Everything should take over automatically with malfunctioning card removed from the system.
Related resources
September 24, 2012 11:31:05 PM

Thanks for the thoughts.

I tried underclocking but it didn't really make any difference.

The BIOS does not contain any option to turn off the graphics card.

I wouldn't know what I was doing to open it up to move the monitor cable. I 've just watched the you tube video doing this and it's a step beyond my skill.

Any other ideas would be great. Or any other thoughts on better driver than the standard windows VGA?

September 25, 2012 10:07:56 AM

Yes - did remove the drivers with a driver cleaner before reinstalling. All to no avail.

I'm happy delving into a desktop, but very wary of a laptop - perhaps I should give it a go!

I'm amazed there isn't a better standard VGA driver out there than the windows one. Just something a little better is what I'm looking for, although perhaps if that's what I had then the pixellating would come back!
!