Netgear FS108 switch issues.

Okay let me explain what is going on. My neighbor gave me a Netgear FS108 switch to hook up to my fiber connection, so that I could network several computers. When I hooked everything up about 165 different devices and computers started to show up in my network that I cannot explain, everything from Directv to xbox360's.

Is there any way that I can remove these devices from my network or will I have to deal with this issue as it stands?

Any help would be awesome.

Specs if they are needed,

Vista ultimate 64bit
100mbps fiber internet
8 answers Last reply
More about netgear fs108 switch issues
  1. oldgamer78 said:
    Okay let me explain what is going on. My neighbor gave me a Netgear FS108 switch to hook up to my fiber connection, so that I could network several computers. When I hooked everything up about 165 different devices and computers started to show up in my network that I cannot explain, everything from Directv to xbox360's.

    Is there any way that I can remove these devices from my network or will I have to deal with this issue as it stands?

    Any help would be awesome.

    Specs if they are needed,

    Vista ultimate 64bit
    100mbps fiber internet


    Also as a side note, there is no wireless connection being used here whatsoever.
  2. So I am going to guess with the lack of replies I am either screwed or nobody has a solution. Well thanks anyways.
  3. Makes no sense. It's just a simple, unmanaged, network switch. It alone can't account for devices mysteriously appearing on your network. Not unless they're attached to the switch. And even then, there's only room for 8 wired devices.

    Where exactly are you "seeing" these devices listed?
  4. eibgrad said:
    Makes no sense. It's just a simple, unmanaged, network switch. It alone can't account for devices mysteriously appearing on your network. Not unless they're attached to the switch. And even then, there's only room for 8 wired devices.

    Where exactly are you "seeing" these devices listed?


    I am seeing it in my network. Currently my network is showing 48 "Strangers" on my network.

    When in reality its only 3 desktops on this network.

    It is the strangest thing. If I could post a screenshot of this I would but I don't see how I can through here.

    Edit. Look at my profile, I posted a screenshot of this on there.
  5. Sorry, too small, I can't read it.

    You'll need to host it somewhere else (e.g., http://photobucket.com ), then provide a link.
  6. eibgrad said:
    Sorry, too small, I can't read it.

    You'll need to host it somewhere else (e.g., http://photobucket.com ), then provide a link.


    Okay sorry for the delayed response, I just got home from work. Created the photobucket account.

    Here is the photo, this is what really messed with my head when I saw all these devices in my network that ARE NOT mine.

    http://s1182.photobucket.com/albums/x443/oldgamer78/?action=view&current=Networkstrangers.jpg

    For some reason when I took the initial screenshot it did not show all the devices it had in the past.

    Hope this helps.

    Thanks again!
  7. It's always been my assumption this is an UNMANAGED switch, so it wouldn't remember information about connected devices. But maybe I'm wrong, maybe it is a MANAGED switch. I assume you can't actually contact any of those other devices, right? Does the switch have a reset switch/button? If so, use it.
  8. eibgrad said:
    It's always been my assumption this is an UNMANAGED switch, so it wouldn't remember information about connected devices. But maybe I'm wrong, maybe it is a MANAGED switch. I assume you can't actually contact any of those other devices, right? Does the switch have a reset switch/button? If so, use it.


    I do not see any reset button on it. The only one I see one that says Normal/Uplink.
Ask a new question

Read More

Routers Switch Netgear Computers Networking