Sign in with
Your question

Netgear FS108 switch issues.

Last response: in Networking
November 8, 2011 7:37:54 PM

Okay let me explain what is going on. My neighbor gave me a Netgear FS108 switch to hook up to my fiber connection, so that I could network several computers. When I hooked everything up about 165 different devices and computers started to show up in my network that I cannot explain, everything from Directv to xbox360's.

Is there any way that I can remove these devices from my network or will I have to deal with this issue as it stands?

Any help would be awesome.

Specs if they are needed,

Vista ultimate 64bit
100mbps fiber internet
November 8, 2011 8:02:35 PM

oldgamer78 said:
Okay let me explain what is going on. My neighbor gave me a Netgear FS108 switch to hook up to my fiber connection, so that I could network several computers. When I hooked everything up about 165 different devices and computers started to show up in my network that I cannot explain, everything from Directv to xbox360's.

Is there any way that I can remove these devices from my network or will I have to deal with this issue as it stands?

Any help would be awesome.

Specs if they are needed,

Vista ultimate 64bit
100mbps fiber internet

Also as a side note, there is no wireless connection being used here whatsoever.
m
l
November 10, 2011 11:39:56 AM

So I am going to guess with the lack of replies I am either screwed or nobody has a solution. Well thanks anyways.
m
l
Related resources
November 10, 2011 12:25:15 PM

Makes no sense. It's just a simple, unmanaged, network switch. It alone can't account for devices mysteriously appearing on your network. Not unless they're attached to the switch. And even then, there's only room for 8 wired devices.

Where exactly are you "seeing" these devices listed?
m
l
November 10, 2011 12:37:19 PM

eibgrad said:
Makes no sense. It's just a simple, unmanaged, network switch. It alone can't account for devices mysteriously appearing on your network. Not unless they're attached to the switch. And even then, there's only room for 8 wired devices.

Where exactly are you "seeing" these devices listed?

I am seeing it in my network. Currently my network is showing 48 "Strangers" on my network.

When in reality its only 3 desktops on this network.

It is the strangest thing. If I could post a screenshot of this I would but I don't see how I can through here.

Edit. Look at my profile, I posted a screenshot of this on there.
m
l
November 10, 2011 12:51:20 PM

Sorry, too small, I can't read it.

You'll need to host it somewhere else (e.g., http://photobucket.com ), then provide a link.
m
l
November 11, 2011 12:58:12 AM

eibgrad said:
Sorry, too small, I can't read it.

You'll need to host it somewhere else (e.g., http://photobucket.com ), then provide a link.

Okay sorry for the delayed response, I just got home from work. Created the photobucket account.

Here is the photo, this is what really messed with my head when I saw all these devices in my network that ARE NOT mine.

http://s1182.photobucket.com/albums/x443/oldgamer78/?ac...

For some reason when I took the initial screenshot it did not show all the devices it had in the past.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again!
m
l
November 11, 2011 1:29:24 AM

It's always been my assumption this is an UNMANAGED switch, so it wouldn't remember information about connected devices. But maybe I'm wrong, maybe it is a MANAGED switch. I assume you can't actually contact any of those other devices, right? Does the switch have a reset switch/button? If so, use it.
m
l
November 11, 2011 1:47:12 PM

eibgrad said:
It's always been my assumption this is an UNMANAGED switch, so it wouldn't remember information about connected devices. But maybe I'm wrong, maybe it is a MANAGED switch. I assume you can't actually contact any of those other devices, right? Does the switch have a reset switch/button? If so, use it.

I do not see any reset button on it. The only one I see one that says Normal/Uplink.
m
l
!