Sign in with
Your question

Water cooling system on Fractal Design Core 1000 and PSU satisfiabilit

Last response: in Systems
November 20, 2012 1:27:59 PM

Hello, I would like to ask if my PSU is enough to power up my system with this build:

MOBO: ECS H77H2-M3 GL v1.0 V/S/L/ddr3 or MSI Z77MA-G45
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K (3.5G) 8mb 22nm
CPU Cooling: Antec Kuhler H20 620 Liquid Cooling
Fans: negative Fractal Fan 120mm (exhaust), positive Fractal fan
RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 8gb 1600 (12800CL9D) 2x4
HDD: 500gb WDigital Blue
GPU: PowerColor HD7850 2gb ddr5 256bit
PSU: COUGAR ST500W
CHASSIS: Fractal Core 1000

And also would like to ask your opinions and guesses regarding Antec kuhler H20 water cooling fitted on Fractal Design Core 1000 92mm/80mm rear fan sockets :3 through drilling the back panel enough to fit the 120mm Antec Fan w/ Radiator.
November 20, 2012 2:41:59 PM

Stay away from water cooling until you have the money to do a custom build. Air cooling will be just as efficient as any all-in-one water cooling, such as the antec H2O series, or the Corsair H-series. Now, if you are willing to spend more money you could look into the XSPC Rasa Rs/Rx 120/240/360 kits. These are going to be more costly than the all-in-ones, but they are expandable(GPU cooling?) and are easier to customize to your personal needs/preferences, as well as efficient. Don't short change yourself with cheap cooler. So, in my opinion, buy a good air cooler, or a water cooling kit. :) 
P.S. you should also get a better PSU soon. :p 
Hope I helped.
November 20, 2012 3:08:10 PM

+1 on the Water related question, and where in the world are you? That Psu isn't very powerful at all, If we knew where you were we could find out alternatives,
theres also a worldwide sitelist here,
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=t...
Maybe a vendor near you has some decent branded units
Moto
Related resources
November 20, 2012 3:39:06 PM

^Fun Fact: I've never heard of a Cougar brand power supply.
November 20, 2012 4:17:35 PM

You'll be fine; you can fit a Kuhler 620 in there. I think you'd have to use the front fan spot for your radiator. This man did it, so you should be able to as well.

You're graphics card isn't very power hungry... if possible I'd suggest you go for the Corsair CX-430, or the Antec VP-450. Both are reliable budget power supplies, and will supply more power and supply more power efficiently than your current choice.
November 20, 2012 6:41:53 PM

That man has terrible cable management and a crowded case lol
And depending on where Op is would define whether or not he can get decent brad kit, If he's in the phillipines then it may be difficult to grab quality gear and maybe the cougar is the best he could find, which is a shame
Moto
November 20, 2012 7:02:47 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
That man has terrible cable management and a crowded case lol
And depending on where Op is would define whether or not he can get decent brad kit, If he's in the phillipines then it may be difficult to grab quality gear and maybe the cougar is the best he could find, which is a shame
Moto

Oh dude if you saw mine you would kick me off the forum

except my side fan blows on the GPU intake not pointlessly into the middle of the case
November 21, 2012 2:07:22 PM

spentshells said:
Oh dude if you saw mine you would kick me off the forum

except my side fan blows on the GPU intake not pointlessly into the middle of the case

Cable management isn't a priority when it comes to mATX, though, :p 
November 21, 2012 3:24:23 PM

^Indeed, Full ATX cases have no excuse though. :p 
Edit: I didn't mean to bash your PSU, but you need to look for a good brand or at least a higher voltage one, DON'T CUT COSTS ON PSU. Without a good PSU, you can kill your system.
-Hilo
November 21, 2012 3:38:10 PM

**Cable management isn't a priority when it comes to mATX,**
It should be more important due to the lack of space in there :) 
Moto
November 21, 2012 4:08:18 PM

Oh thanks so much :)  so most of you did not agree on my PSU :)  and regarding the cooling for cpu, if i am going to change into air cooling i would choose CoolerMaster Vortex+.. would that be ok? :) 
I have decided to change my PSU into Thermaltake LitePower (500w) or ANTEC NEO ECO 520w. So, which of those two do you recommend it for me? :) 

and the Available PSU's are:

Antec VP450 450w

FSP HEXA HE500 (Eff>80%) 500w

Thermaltake Smart 530w 80+

IMaster PRO 80+ 550w

Huntkey VP450 450w

CoolerMaster Extreme 525w

IMaster PRO 80+ 500w

CoolerMaster EXtreme 500w

Huntkey APFC 600w

Huntkey Green Power LW-6500 500w

Other PSU's are way to expensive for me.. it's beyond my budget already...
November 21, 2012 5:01:02 PM

I would go with a thermaltake or coolermaster PSU. Both of them are great companies.
November 21, 2012 11:17:42 PM

phyll11 said:
Oh thanks so much :)  so most of you did not agree on my PSU :)  and regarding the cooling for cpu, if i am going to change into air cooling i would choose CoolerMaster Vortex+.. would that be ok? :) 
I have decided to change my PSU into Thermaltake LitePower (500w) or ANTEC NEO ECO 520w. So, which of those two do you recommend it for me? :) 

and the Available PSU's are:

Antec VP450 450w

FSP HEXA HE500 (Eff>80%) 500w

Thermaltake Smart 530w 80+

IMaster PRO 80+ 550w

Huntkey VP450 450w

CoolerMaster Extreme 525w

IMaster PRO 80+ 500w

CoolerMaster EXtreme 500w

Huntkey APFC 600w

Huntkey Green Power LW-6500 500w

Other PSU's are way to expensive for me.. it's beyond my budget already...

Go for that one. I'd imagine it's one of the cheaper ones. This or the Neo Eco would be your best choices, so choose whichever one is cheaper.

The Antec VP-450 is a really, really good power supply. It's been featured in countless Tom's Hardware System Builder Marathons, and at 100% load, it can pull 550W of power and still maintain 81% efficiency. This means, it could power pretty much any card on the market besides the really, really high end ones, like the GTX x80's and above. It will be the best bang for your buck.

The Neo Eco is even better, since it's Seasonic made. Seasonic makes the best, most efficient, most reliable power supplies on the market right now, so that's a no brainer, as long as it's in your price range.
November 22, 2012 11:41:39 AM

actually.. i really want an Antec VP-450 but unfortunately 500w isn't available it's only 450w... and i think 450watts isn't enough for my system to be built.

btw, i am a computer science student major in software engineering, hardcore gamer and aside from playing games i'd love to learn the backbone of games not just playing... but developing, elarning algorithms, discovering things.... and also i overclock things when needed ._. and or sometimes :3
November 22, 2012 5:46:37 PM

Well, you need to make sure you get a cpu designed to deal well with massive floating point calculations. You need to at least get 500+ watts of power for oc'ing. be careful or you can kill your system, as I said before, DO NOT CUT COSTS ON PSU! Make sure you get quality parts.
Have fun with your build.
-Hilo
November 22, 2012 7:35:50 PM

ANTEC NEO FTW

I havent used ecs for a while but for serious overclocking ECS is maker of questionable firmware and average hardware quality
November 23, 2012 1:48:04 AM

phyll11 said:
actually.. i really want an Antec VP-450 but unfortunately 500w isn't available it's only 450w... and i think 450watts isn't enough for my system to be built.

btw, i am a computer science student major in software engineering, hardcore gamer and aside from playing games i'd love to learn the backbone of games not just playing... but developing, elarning algorithms, discovering things.... and also i overclock things when needed ._. and or sometimes :3

You misunderstood me. The Antec VP-450 says it can only do 450. But it can do 550W. You'll be fine with it.
!