Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
Current Rig:
i5 2500k @4.3ghz
MSI Z68A-GD55
Exceleram 8GB @1600mhz
Corsair 650w
XFX 6870 Duel Fan

So I've been thinking about getting a new graphics card, I've had my 6870 for a year now and thought i could do with an upgrade. Is it too near the release of the next series to be biting the bullet and buying a 670 and is it worth waiting for the next series? I want something that will last me quite a while.

doct3rphil

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
They're only now finishing this series with the 650TI, so I would imagine it's still a ways off. AMD is about a half cycle "ahead" of Nvidia so their 8 series will be out before NVIDIA's 7 it seems. IMO, get it now, it will last a long time, and you're not always waiting for "the next thing"

grassyuk

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012

Yea i'll probably get the 670 however is just so hard making the decision, i could wait a bit then get something much better at a new launch. How long do you reckon it's going to be until a new series comes out?

redeemer

Distinguished
AMD have done some major price cutting the last few weeks, that could be an indication that their next gen parts are due soon. It could also mean that they wanted to put themselves in a better position against the 600 series parts. Take it anyway you want!

grassyuk

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
Yea its a hard decision but i think i'll wait, the only reason that's making me want something now is that my 6870 is still worth something and i can sell it.

Burgies

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
^ Thats a valid reason, if its not performing to your requirements. I recently got a 670 and its great. So much quieter and so much more performance than my 560 ti. You will always be waiting for the next thing to come along. If somethings been announced then sure wait. But if its all speculation that annoucnemnt might be a while away. When a new series comes out they will be higher priced aswell, then your waiting for that to drop.

wat u looking to play? my friend has a 670, and its overkill in bf3 lol its future proof and if ur not looking to always have a gpu that'll play new games at ultra at good fps and upgrade yearly a 670 will prob last a few years.

a 7850 or higher maybe better as there slightly cheaper and leave u with some future upgrade path sooner and save some.

Honestly if your thinking of buying a card anytime soon the GTX 670 and R7950/7970 are the best bang for buck in the high end video card department the 680/690 are overpriced as well as some of the 7970 are still overpriced keep in mind this is just my opinion.I have no thoughts on if it's worth waiting or not i would assume it would be but that's something only you can decide.