Sign in with
Your question

Which way to go

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 24, 2012 11:04:45 PM

Hi everyone,

the time has finally come for me to throw out my trusty old GTX260.
I've been planning this for a while now and I'd settled on getting a GTX560ti but then I heard about the coming 660ti and I decided to wait. Now that it's here I'm reading reviews and getting more confused every day.

I was going to go for a Nvidia solution because I use software like adobe premiere and aftereffects which make use of nvidia cards to render video's but I've realised recently that I do most of my rendering at night or at work so that's out the window.
This opened up AMD cards for consideration which makes my decision even harder.

I see 660ti's and 7950's for about the same price where I live and I don't know which way to go.
The review here on the 660ti says that the memory bus limits the card severely and while I don't really understand what they're talking about it sounds bad. I see the 7950 getting beaten in 3dmark but winning over the 660ti in actual games.
The 670 looks over-priced to me atm. Is there any chance of a price-drop in the near future that would put it nearer to where the other 2 cards are now? Should I wait for that?
I'd like to know what you guys think would be the better choice for me.

I play games like World of Tanks, Mass Effect 3, Anno 2070, SWTOR and X-com - Terror from the deep :p 

My system is as follows:
Intel Core i7 860 @ 3.0 Ghz
16GB DDR3
GTX260 Sc (for now ;)  )
26" Ilyama @ 1920x1200

I like to run the games I play with all the bells and whistles ofcourse but I'm not married to the idea of ultra-quality. I want to play games in a manner that looks good and gives me a decent 30-40 fps or more.

More about : question

a c 80 U Graphics card
September 24, 2012 11:40:27 PM

Well, there is the option of the GTX 660 now too. It's got the same memory bandwidth as the GTX 660 Ti but a slower GPU, meaning the memory limitation isn't as big of a problem. The Radeon HD 7870 matches it pretty well though. And both of those cards should be able to max out the games you play, as well as the new XCOM (the demo's out already!).
September 24, 2012 11:45:44 PM

While I'm not adverse to paying less my budget has room for a 7950 (or a 660ti).
I don't update my hardware very often so the card I buy has to last me a couple of years.
a c 267 U Graphics card
September 25, 2012 12:19:07 AM

At any price point, you will get comparable performance out of similarly priced cards.
You would be hard pressed to tell the difference between any two cards a tier or two apart without a synthetic benchmark.

Do not anguish over the choice.
Also, ignore the spec war where DDR type vram, bandwidth etc are quoted.
The video engineers know what they are doing, and how the parts come together to meet a price point and performance level.

My advice is to buy the strongest graphics card that you feel comfortable paying for.
Since you already use Nvidia, I would go that route. You will not need to change video drivers.
!