Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

PC boots but after up to 15 seconds of it starting then stopping

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 20, 2012 3:32:02 PM

I put my PC together a few weeks ago but I am still having problems. When I turn the PC on it appears to be booting up but then suddenly shuts off, then tries to boot but then suddenly shuts down again, it repeats this many times before finally booting up properly. No display is shown on the screen until it stays booted. It stays on once it does boot but the problem is extreamly frustrating and I feel like it could be damaging parts or be because of a faulty part. I have replaced the RAM with a 100% compatible module but the problem is just as bad.

Specs:

ASrock pro 3 MB
i5-3570k
450W Pentium PSU (My new corsair 650W replacement is on its way) (Borrowing this one from a friend because my original 650W Corsair was broken on arrival)
WD 1tb HDD SATAII
Crucial 8Gb dual channel DDR3

Any help will be greatly appreciated :) 

November 20, 2012 3:48:32 PM

No gpu listed? Are you using the on-board graphics?
I'd like to see if it changes with the new power supply as that could be the issue.
Also you did install all of the standoffs for the MOBO? Check to make sure there is nothing touching that could be shorting it out.
Another option is to set the system up outside the case (on cardboard or something non static) and see if you get the same results.
1 more thing. Check all of the temps (doubt this has anything to do with it) but still something that should be done :) .

Here is a great checklist to go through to check all your p's and q's. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...
November 20, 2012 4:08:54 PM

cyrusdobbs said:
I put my PC together a few weeks ago but I am still having problems. When I turn the PC on it appears to be booting up but then suddenly shuts off, then tries to boot but then suddenly shuts down again, it repeats this many times before finally booting up properly. No display is shown on the screen until it stays booted. It stays on once it does boot but the problem is extreamly frustrating and I feel like it could be damaging parts or be because of a faulty part. I have replaced the RAM with a 100% compatible module but the problem is just as bad.

Specs:

ASrock pro 3 MB
i5-3570k
450W Pentium PSU (My new corsair 650W replacement is on its way) (Borrowing this one from a friend because my original 650W Corsair was broken on arrival)
WD 1tb HDD SATAII
Crucial 8Gb dual channel DDR3

Any help will be greatly appreciated :) 


Did you modify any BIOS settings when you booted the first time? I've had this issue before and it will try to boot with bad settings a few times and eventually load the fail safes or default settings and allow you to boot. I would try clearing the CMOS (remove battery for ~2 minutes) and seeing if that has any affect on the issue. With this in mind it could be an issue with the RAM speed or other component settings in the BIOS. Have you tried loading fail-safes or defaults once it finally boots?

In my experience if it is a power supply issue it will generally boot up then reboot randomly or fail under load (or not boot at all).
Related resources
November 20, 2012 7:21:35 PM

unoriginal1 said:
No gpu listed? Are you using the on-board graphics?
I'd like to see if it changes with the new power supply as that could be the issue.
Also you did install all of the standoffs for the MOBO? Check to make sure there is nothing touching that could be shorting it out.
Another option is to set the system up outside the case (on cardboard or something non static) and see if you get the same results.
1 more thing. Check all of the temps (doubt this has anything to do with it) but still something that should be done :) .

Here is a great checklist to go through to check all your p's and q's. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...


I have a 660ti Jetstream ready to add but I wanted a fully functioning PC before I add my most expensive component, that's why I did not add it.
I tried the new PSU, no change:(  Yes and nothing is touching the edge. I have set it up outside the case before but I got the exact same problem. I have checked temps, all are stable... I have tried absolutely everything that comes to mind but still no change. I have exhausted all of my friends knowledge too... Thanks for the vid I will check that out!

Thanks for the help!:) 
November 20, 2012 7:25:58 PM

trnddwn33 said:
Did you modify any BIOS settings when you booted the first time? I've had this issue before and it will try to boot with bad settings a few times and eventually load the fail safes or default settings and allow you to boot. I would try clearing the CMOS (remove battery for ~2 minutes) and seeing if that has any affect on the issue. With this in mind it could be an issue with the RAM speed or other component settings in the BIOS. Have you tried loading fail-safes or defaults once it finally boots?

In my experience if it is a power supply issue it will generally boot up then reboot randomly or fail under load (or not boot at all).


I have reset the CMOS several times as well as resetting BIOS to default. I have never seen a 'fail-safe' option although I will have a look. I also haven't tried checking the RAM speed in the BIOS, then default speed for the RAM 1600Mhz. It wasn't the power supply... I have removed the MB from my case now because I am going to send it back to Ebuyer (online store I bought it from) to see if they find it faulty, I will go from there although any extra knowledge is always helpful!

Thank you very much for your suggestions!:) 
!