Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Sapphire HD 7850 OC - artifacting only when heavy load

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 25, 2012 1:23:00 AM

Hello,

I have a Sapphire HD 7850 factory Overclocked, that I can only see artifacting under heavy load, does this indicate the factory OC is unstable or could this just be a faulty card?.

I have already considered Sapphire and they told me I can RMA the card, but I am just not really sure if it is a problem with the video card or not...

This is my full system:

Saphire HD 7850 OC (at default OC)
i5 2500k (turbo enabled, i.e. 3.7 ghz while gaming)
16 GB Corsair Vegeance @ 1333 (but can activate XPS for 1600 but would this really help at all?)
Maximus IV Gene-z/Gen 3 Motherboard
Blue Caviar WD 500 GB
Seasonic semi modular 620 W

I only play Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2, I have only seen artifacts in Diablo 3 once in about 200 hours, while I don't really ever see them in Guild Wars 2 unless my fps drops under 60, if I am in an area where my fps is consitently under 60 fps, for example Divinity's reach when there are many other players around, the longer I stay still under 60 fps, the more artifacts I will start to see, they flash extremely fast and are either black or light blue. And my UPS says max draw is only 250 Watts, which my Seasonic 620 handles without problems at all.

I have also seen them occasionally in Unigine Heaven after about 6 passes. Temperature is always max 60 C on the video card, and 63 C on CPU max.

This is what the artifacts look like (I had to take a video and then use video editing software to stop at that frame since they are way too fast)



See hazy "cloud" envolving city and part of the bridge.

And in Guild Wars 2:



(See light blue flashing in top right corner and left side)
For Guild Wars I will get 1-3 artifacts every 5 minutes, which can be black random artifacts, or textures flickering to white/blueish white for split seconds, this increases if card is under heavy load 80%+, so in towns for example where there are many people around.

I have also tried 12.4, 12.6 and 12.8 drivers, it seems to improve with 12.8 but the artifacts are definitely still there. I also have the latest CAPs.

Any advice would be appreciated, I don't have a problem with RMA'ing the card at all, I just to make sure that it really is faulty.
September 25, 2012 1:48:09 AM

Try downclocking your card by some degree, then checking if the artifacts still appear.
Faulty cards happen, it's a VERY high chance you got one. (Don't blame AMD either, happens to both sides)
m
0
l
September 25, 2012 5:31:27 PM

azathoth said:
Try downclocking your card by some degree, then checking if the artifacts still appear.
Faulty cards happen, it's a VERY high chance you got one. (Don't blame AMD either, happens to both sides)


I got MSI afterburner that I could use to down-clock the card, but I have never done OC/UC to a card, I know excessive OC might cause issues, but what about UC is that completely safe?. Anyway If the artifacts disappear by down-clocking I still would have to RMA because the OC is unstable correct?.

JallenLabs:

I have not tried Furmark, because I have read it puts way too much stress that will never happen in normal conditions, and can actually damage a card, for how much time is it safe to run it?.

As for the temperatures checked with GPU-Z, while staying in a crowded area with GPU load at 99-90% and fan at 20% in auto mode, I left it there idle-ing in Guild Wars 2 for an hour, then checked max temp was 63 C, it seems to hit that after about 5 mins, then actually goes back to 60 and stays there. From what I have read 60 is a good temp for this card under heavy load, and even 80 C would still be "ok", is that accurate?.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 26, 2012 4:25:46 AM

Oscarmk said:
Hello,

I have a Sapphire HD 7850 factory Overclocked, that I can only see artifacting under heavy load, does this indicate the factory OC is unstable or could this just be a faulty card?.

I have already considered Sapphire and they told me I can RMA the card, but I am just not really sure if it is a problem with the video card or not...

This is my full system:

Saphire HD 7850 OC (at default OC)
i5 2500k (turbo enabled, i.e. 3.7 ghz while gaming)
16 GB Corsair Vegeance @ 1333 (but can activate XPS for 1600 but would this really help at all?)
Maximus IV Gene-z/Gen 3 Motherboard
Blue Caviar WD 500 GB
Seasonic semi modular 620 W

I only play Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2, I have only seen artifacts in Diablo 3 once in about 200 hours, while I don't really ever see them in Guild Wars 2 unless my fps drops under 60, if I am in an area where my fps is consitently under 60 fps, for example Divinity's reach when there are many other players around, the longer I stay still under 60 fps, the more artifacts I will start to see, they flash extremely fast and are either black or light blue. And my UPS says max draw is only 250 Watts, which my Seasonic 620 handles without problems at all.

I have also seen them occasionally in Unigine Heaven after about 6 passes. Temperature is always max 60 C on the video card, and 63 C on CPU max.

This is what the artifacts look like (I had to take a video and then use video editing software to stop at that frame since they are way too fast)

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/6001/photoas.png

See hazy "cloud" envolving city and part of the bridge.

And in Guild Wars 2:

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1715/artifactsflashing.png

(See light blue flashing in top right corner and left side)
For Guild Wars I will get 1-3 artifacts every 5 minutes, which can be black random artifacts, or textures flickering to white/blueish white for split seconds, this increases if card is under heavy load 80%+, so in towns for example where there are many people around.

I have also tried 12.4, 12.6 and 12.8 drivers, it seems to improve with 12.8 but the artifacts are definitely still there. I also have the latest CAPs.

Any advice would be appreciated, I don't have a problem with RMA'ing the card at all, I just to make sure that it really is faulty.

I am thinking of getting the sapphire 7850 oc edition, hows it run with graphics on max in guildwars 2, would really like to know, sorry i cant help you btw
m
0
l
September 26, 2012 6:07:02 PM

Raise your 2d clocks
core 500
mem clock 800
it will resolve!
m
0
l
October 6, 2012 12:26:07 AM

The card worka really good for Guild Wars 2 in my opinion.

I did not get a chance to fix the clocks, since by the tume I read that, the card had been mailed for RMA. I will post back once I get my card back, hopefully that fixes my issues.
m
0
l
October 6, 2012 2:11:43 AM

Oscarmk said:
The card worka really good for Guild Wars 2 in my opinion.

I did not get a chance to fix the clocks, since by the tume I read that, the card had been mailed for RMA. I will post back once I get my card back, hopefully that fixes my issues.


Oscarmk sorry I'm not answering your questions but I also plan on getting this card specifically for Guild Wars 2. Does the card handle the massive WvWvW battles of 75+ players on high settings well? I'm currently running Guild Wars 2 on high with the 7770 and the performance is actually really good. It's just the massive WvWvW battles that the 7770 struggles with.

Thanks a bunch for any response.
m
0
l
October 13, 2012 12:40:46 AM

Stylo said:
Oscarmk sorry I'm not answering your questions but I also plan on getting this card specifically for Guild Wars 2. Does the card handle the massive WvWvW battles of 75+ players on high settings well? I'm currently running Guild Wars 2 on high with the 7770 and the performance is actually really good. It's just the massive WvWvW battles that the 7770 struggles with.

Thanks a bunch for any response.


I never tried huge WvWvW battles and my new replacement card arrives on Wednesday, I will try it then.

Most I have seen is maybe 30 ppl im pve events it was around 45-50 with absolutelly everything on high and 1080p.
m
0
l
!