Maxxum 7D rebate

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 20, 2005 4:17:22 AM

Konica Minolta is now offering a $200 mail-in rebate on the purchase of a 7D
between 3/14/04 and 7/30/05. Darn, I purchased mine in November 2004.

Fred

--
We're Fulltimers and proud of it!

View our photos online at:
http://community.webshots.com/user/famueller

More about : maxxum rebate

March 20, 2005 4:17:23 AM

Fred & Sandra Mueller wrote:

> Konica Minolta is now offering a $200 mail-in rebate on the purchase of a 7D
> between 3/14/04 and 7/30/05. Darn, I purchased mine in November 2004.
>
> Fred

Seems odd a rebate would already be offered for a relatively recent
product. <shrug>

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 01:17:22 GMT, "Fred & Sandra Mueller"
<fmueller@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Konica Minolta is now offering a $200 mail-in rebate on the purchase of a 7D
>between 3/14/04 and 7/30/05. Darn, I purchased mine in November 2004.
>
>Fred

Judging by some reviews, it's going to take more than that
to make it sell against better product from Canon and Nikon.
-Rich
Related resources
March 20, 2005 4:17:24 AM

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 18:31:47 -0800, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:

> Fred & Sandra Mueller wrote:
>
>> Konica Minolta is now offering a $200 mail-in rebate on the purchase of
>> a 7D between 3/14/04 and 7/30/05. Darn, I purchased mine in November
>> 2004.
>> Fred
>>

> Seems odd a rebate would already be offered for a relatively recent
> product. <shrug>

Slow sales?
--
Slack
Anonymous

Jer wrote:

> Seems odd a rebate would already be offered for a relatively recent
> product. <shrug>

It came out in Sept. It's now 6 months into it. Similar price cuts
and rebates happened to Canon and Nikon, IIRC, whether officially or on
the street.

Further, I have a feeling that the 7D is moving slowly (if steadilly) as
K-M users have been trained to be patient by K-M's long march to the
line with the 7D. Now that the initial bunch of buyers has dried up,
they need to reach out to the holdouts.

Per dpreview, K-M have reported pretty bad financial results (in the
black, but not black enough) although this is pinned to a different
entitiy than the camera group. This may put pressure on reducing
inventories across the board.

Cheers,
Alan

March 20, 2005 2:02:53 PM

RichA wrote:

> Judging by some reviews, it's going to take more than that
> to make it sell against better product from Canon and Nikon.

?

This camera is more camera than the D70 in several respects, and despite
the 6 MP, compares favourably to the 20D. See the dpreview review.

This camera will not make converts of Nikon or Canon users who have a
lot of lenses. It won't attract many new customers due to the high
price. The camera is aimed principally at Minolta glass owners like myself.

K-M will likely introduce a pared down version as a "5D" or something
similar. A-S might get sacrificed in that version. In short, they need
a sub $1,000 (incl kit lens) if they are to break in new sales.

I don't know if they have the balls to do a 9D in full frame. I suspect
not. But if they could at least increase the pixel count to the 10 - 12
MP range and improve the sync speed, in a couple years, I would be happy.

Cheers,
Alan

March 20, 2005 4:20:40 PM

> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 01:17:22 GMT, "Fred & Sandra Mueller"
> <fmueller@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>Konica Minolta is now offering a $200 mail-in rebate on the purchase of a
>>7D
>>between 3/14/04 and 7/30/05. Darn, I purchased mine in November 2004.
>>
>>Fred
>
> Judging by some reviews, it's going to take more than that
> to make it sell against better product from Canon and Nikon.

It does appear they need to get well under $1000 to have a chance with those
customers who do not already have KM lenses.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 4:20:41 PM

Anti-shake is nice, but a $20 monopod accomplishes the same, if not better
results.
They need to release a truly competitive product to even have much appeal to
the Minolta community. I am not excited about spending $1300 (after rebate),
just to see my $600 85mm portrait lens turn into a cheap 135mm APS
appendage. And the 6MP resolution! Pocket digicams do better these days!

> It does appear they need to get well under $1000 to have a chance with
those
> customers who do not already have KM lenses.

Anonymous
March 20, 2005 4:20:42 PM

Happy Traveler wrote:

> Anti-shake is nice, but a $20 monopod accomplishes the same, if not better
> results.
> They need to release a truly competitive product to even have much appeal to
> the Minolta community. I am not excited about spending $1300 (after rebate),
> just to see my $600 85mm portrait lens turn into a cheap 135mm APS
> appendage. And the 6MP resolution! Pocket digicams do better these days!

Nice trolling, if complete BS.

A-S (like VR or IS) is up to the photog to use or not use as may be
appropriate to the situation).

Detail?
http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/ColBill_SM.U.jpg

Full size: (2.5 MB) http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/ColBill_FD.U.jpg
be sure to view at 100%.

(Or a smaller crop from same:
http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/ColBill_FD.U.C.j... )

100 f/2.8 macro @ f/8.

Pocket cams? With tiny sensors? I can only conclude that you have no
idea what you're talking about.

Cheers,
Alan.

March 20, 2005 6:12:56 PM

Alan Browne wrote:
> Jer wrote:
>

>> Seems odd a rebate would already be offered for a relatively recent
>> product. <shrug>
>

> It came out in Sept. It's now 6 months into it. Similar price cuts
> and rebates happened to Canon and Nikon, IIRC, whether officially or on
> the street.
>
> Further, I have a feeling that the 7D is moving slowly (if steadilly) as
> K-M users have been trained to be patient by K-M's long march to the
> line with the 7D. Now that the initial bunch of buyers has dried up,
> they need to reach out to the holdouts.
>
> Per dpreview, K-M have reported pretty bad financial results (in the
> black, but not black enough) although this is pinned to a different
> entitiy than the camera group. This may put pressure on reducing
> inventories across the board.
>
> Cheers,
> Alan

Well, as Slack pointed out and your own post, slow sales (slower than KM
likes) would seem to make the most sense, not that I've kept up with
them. I suppose one could say I'm a contributing factor to that angle.
Now that a rebate has entered the ring, coupled with all this KM glass
I still have (along with the film backs), I'll admit I may help them
turn things around by a count of 1.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 11:17:19 -0500, Alan Browne
<alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>Happy Traveler wrote:
>
>> Anti-shake is nice, but a $20 monopod accomplishes the same, if not better
>> results.
>> They need to release a truly competitive product to even have much appeal to
>> the Minolta community. I am not excited about spending $1300 (after rebate),
>> just to see my $600 85mm portrait lens turn into a cheap 135mm APS
>> appendage. And the 6MP resolution! Pocket digicams do better these days!
>

>Nice trolling, if complete BS.
>
>A-S (like VR or IS) is up to the photog to use or not use as may be
>appropriate to the situation).
>
>Detail?
>http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/ColBill_SM.U.jpg
>
>Full size: (2.5 MB) http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/ColBill_FD.U.jpg
>be sure to view at 100%.
>
>(Or a smaller crop from same:
>http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/ColBill_FD.U.C.j... )
>
>100 f/2.8 macro @ f/8.
>
>Pocket cams? With tiny sensors? I can only conclude that you have no
>idea what you're talking about.
>
>Cheers,
>Alan.

How's the Minolta for this;
One thing that really bugs me is the control of lack of control over
chromatic aberration that most cameras still exhibit. Whether it's
due to the CCD (doubtful) or the lens design, it's a pain. In Paint
Shop Pro 9 there is a function that removes it, and it works pretty
well, but you can only compensate for that bright-dark edge chromatic
aberration that sees the purple fringe attached to the edge. When it
bleeds over into the dark areas of the image (tree branches against
the sky) there isn't much you can do. Until they really start using
a lot more fluorite or fluorite-glass composites (like FPL-53) in
lenses (expensive, in any case) this problem will keep showing up.
-Rich
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 8:33:46 PM

RichA wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 11:17:19 -0500, Alan Browne
> <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>

>>Happy Traveler wrote:
>>

>>>Anti-shake is nice, but a $20 monopod accomplishes the same, if not better
>>>results.
>>>They need to release a truly competitive product to even have much appeal to
>>>the Minolta community. I am not excited about spending $1300 (after rebate),
>>>just to see my $600 85mm portrait lens turn into a cheap 135mm APS
>>>appendage. And the 6MP resolution! Pocket digicams do better these days!
>>

>>Nice trolling, if complete BS.
>>
>>A-S (like VR or IS) is up to the photog to use or not use as may be
>>appropriate to the situation).
>>
>>Detail?
>>http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/ColBill_SM.U.jpg
>>
>>Full size: (2.5 MB) http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/ColBill_FD.U.jpg
>>be sure to view at 100%.
>>
>>(Or a smaller crop from same:
>>http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/ColBill_FD.U.C.j... )
>>
>>100 f/2.8 macro @ f/8.
>>
>>Pocket cams? With tiny sensors? I can only conclude that you have no
>>idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Alan.
>

> How's the Minolta for this;
> One thing that really bugs me is the control of lack of control over
> chromatic aberration that most cameras still exhibit. Whether it's
> due to the CCD (doubtful) or the lens design, it's a pain. In Paint
> Shop Pro 9 there is a function that removes it, and it works pretty
> well, but you can only compensate for that bright-dark edge chromatic
> aberration that sees the purple fringe attached to the edge. When it

I've had one strange aberation to date. A thin, OOF branch against
overexposed snow. The color of the branch is a deep red. (I didn't
work these over, just a resize and light sharpen with USM):

Blownout version (green in branches):
http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/PICT0981X.jpg

Exposure corrected:
http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/PICT0982X.jpg

> bleeds over into the dark areas of the image (tree branches against
> the sky) there isn't much you can do. Until they really start using

Here's a shot against the sky. JPG save was at large size, but lowest
res as RAW was on too...
http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/PICT0958X.jpg

> a lot more fluorite or fluorite-glass composites (like FPL-53) in
> lenses (expensive, in any case) this problem will keep showing up.

So far no real problems, but I'm still under 100 frames...

Cheers,
Alan

March 20, 2005 8:35:57 PM

Jer wrote:

> I still have (along with the film backs), I'll admit I may help them
> turn things around by a count of 1.

Given my experience with the camera with esp. the 100 f/2.8 and 80-200
f/2.8 you won't be sorry. I'm not totally enthuses with the 28-70 /2.8
results so far, but this ain't bad:
http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/BirchBarkSnow.jp...

Cheers,
Alan

March 20, 2005 8:41:48 PM

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 07:30:56 -0800, Happy Traveler <happy_traveler@abc.net>
wrote:
> And the 6MP resolution! Pocket digicams do better these days!

The 7D's pixels are much larger than the pixels in a pocket digicam.
This makes for less noise and greater dynamic range.

ISO 400 is as high as the Olympus 8080 goes, and it's quite noisy.
I haven't used a 7D, but I would guess that ISO 400 images from it
look a lot better, even with 2 few megapixels.

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
--Josh Micah Marshall

Alan Browne wrote:

> So far no real problems, but I'm still under 100 frames...
1000
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 10:18:52 PM

RichA wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 11:17:19 -0500, Alan Browne
> <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>
>> Happy Traveler wrote:
>>
>>> Anti-shake is nice, but a $20 monopod accomplishes the same, if not
>>> better results.
>>> They need to release a truly competitive product to even have much
>>> appeal to the Minolta community. I am not excited about spending
>>> $1300 (after rebate), just to see my $600 85mm portrait lens turn
>>> into a cheap 135mm APS appendage. And the 6MP resolution! Pocket
>>> digicams do better these days!
>>

>> Nice trolling, if complete BS.
>>
>> A-S (like VR or IS) is up to the photog to use or not use as may be
>> appropriate to the situation).
>>
>> Detail?
>> http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/ColBill_SM.U.jpg
>>
>> Full size: (2.5 MB)
>> http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/ColBill_FD.U.jpg be sure to
>> view at 100%.
>>
>> (Or a smaller crop from same:
>> http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/ColBill_FD.U.C.j... )
>>
>> 100 f/2.8 macro @ f/8.
>>
>> Pocket cams? With tiny sensors? I can only conclude that you have
>> no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alan.
>
> How's the Minolta for this;
> One thing that really bugs me is the control of lack of control over
> chromatic aberration that most cameras still exhibit. Whether it's
> due to the CCD (doubtful) or the lens design, it's a pain. In Paint
> Shop Pro 9 there is a function that removes it, and it works pretty
> well, but you can only compensate for that bright-dark edge chromatic
> aberration that sees the purple fringe attached to the edge. When it
> bleeds over into the dark areas of the image (tree branches against
> the sky) there isn't much you can do. Until they really start using
> a lot more fluorite or fluorite-glass composites (like FPL-53) in
> lenses (expensive, in any case) this problem will keep showing up.
> -Rich

I've run some 4000 shots on my 7D with several different lenses and have
yet to see an obvious example of chromatic aberration; used to get it
fairly frequently on my older Sony CD1000.

The thing I'm having problems with (also saw it on my film 9xi's) is
that adding a polarizer often results in profound image degradation.
Almost like the filters are not threading properly and sitting at an
angle other than perpendicular to the light path, but they don't appear
to be off kilter when eyeballing them on the lens.

Tiffen circulars all, not sure what to do other than buy a couple new
ones to see if I just got a bad batch back in 1993. Also considering a
Cokin polarizer since I already have a Cokin P system - any thoughts
from folks on the Cokin polarizer?

Thanks,

Bob ^,,^
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 1:29:33 AM

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 17:33:46 -0500, Alan Browne
<alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>RichA wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 11:17:19 -0500, Alan Browne
>> <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>>>Nice trolling, if complete BS.
>>>
>>>A-S (like VR or IS) is up to the photog to use or not use as may be
>>>appropriate to the situation).
>>>
>>>Detail?
>>>http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/ColBill_SM.U.jpg
>>>
>>>Full size: (2.5 MB) http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/ColBill_FD.U.jpg
>>>be sure to view at 100%.
>>>
>>>(Or a smaller crop from same:
>>>http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/ColBill_FD.U.C.j... )
>>>
>>>100 f/2.8 macro @ f/8.
>>>
>>>Pocket cams? With tiny sensors? I can only conclude that you have no
>>>idea what you're talking about.
>>>
>>>Cheers,
>>>Alan.
>>

>> How's the Minolta for this;
>> One thing that really bugs me is the control of lack of control over
>> chromatic aberration that most cameras still exhibit. Whether it's
>> due to the CCD (doubtful) or the lens design, it's a pain. In Paint
>> Shop Pro 9 there is a function that removes it, and it works pretty
>> well, but you can only compensate for that bright-dark edge chromatic
>> aberration that sees the purple fringe attached to the edge. When it
>
>I've had one strange aberation to date. A thin, OOF branch against
>overexposed snow. The color of the branch is a deep red. (I didn't
>work these over, just a resize and light sharpen with USM):
>
>Blownout version (green in branches):
>http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/PICT0981X.jpg
>
>Exposure corrected:
>http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/PICT0982X.jpg
>
>> bleeds over into the dark areas of the image (tree branches against
>> the sky) there isn't much you can do. Until they really start using
>
>Here's a shot against the sky. JPG save was at large size, but lowest
>res as RAW was on too...
>http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/PICT0958X.jpg
>
>> a lot more fluorite or fluorite-glass composites (like FPL-53) in
>> lenses (expensive, in any case) this problem will keep showing up.
>
>So far no real problems, but I'm still under 100 frames...
>
>Cheers,
>Alan

The second snow-branch shot looks fine, detail is restored to the
snow. The tree against the sky shows no aberrations.
-Rich
March 21, 2005 11:53:44 AM

Alan Browne wrote:
> Jer wrote:
>
>> I still have (along with the film backs), I'll admit I may help them
>> turn things around by a count of 1.
>

> Given my experience with the camera with esp. the 100 f/2.8 and 80-200
> f/2.8 you won't be sorry. I'm not totally enthuses with the 28-70 /2.8
> results so far, but this ain't bad:
> http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/BirchBarkSnow.jp...

Thanks for the followup, Alan, looks as though you and I have had
similar tastes in glass. I also have a 135 f/2.8 that has a lot of
portrait miles on it, so my curiosity will be adding a few more. I'll
have to see if my local shop has a 7D available for adoption this week.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Jer wrote:

> Alan Browne wrote:
>
>> Jer wrote:
>>
>>> I still have (along with the film backs), I'll admit I may help them
>>> turn things around by a count of 1.
>>

>> Given my experience with the camera with esp. the 100 f/2.8 and 80-200
>> f/2.8 you won't be sorry. I'm not totally enthuses with the 28-70
>> /2.8 results so far, but this ain't bad:
>> http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/BirchBarkSnow.jp...
>

> Thanks for the followup, Alan, looks as though you and I have had
> similar tastes in glass. I also have a 135 f/2.8 that has a lot of
> portrait miles on it, so my curiosity will be adding a few more. I'll
> have to see if my local shop has a 7D available for adoption this week.

Shooting portraits with the 100 f/2.8 (on the 7D) is difficult at best
in my small studio (living room), unless you have lots of room the 135
is going to be quite difficult.

Is that 135 the STF? A lens long on my lust list.

Cheers,
Alan

March 21, 2005 3:33:06 PM

I just purchased the 28-75/2.8 D using my rebate ($150 since I bought
it in Dec). It should arrive in a few days. Would you happen to know,
other than FL, what the difference between this new lens and your 28-70
is? I would have thought it was the G optics, but Adorama lists the
28-75 as a G lens also. Could be a typo I suppose. B&H only says it's a
D lens.

Also, I'd think the 85/1.4 would be a good portrait lens for the 7D. Of
course, KM lists it as discontinued, so finding one...

Mike
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 6:32:38 PM

I knew that the G optics referred to their professional glass, and
assumed that at the price of 409.00 that the 28-75 wasn't in that
category. This is why I was somewhat startled to see Adorama list it as
a G lens, thus leading to my question.
As far as the guidebook, if it came with my 7D it must have been on the
CD (which is presently hiding somewhere.) But Minolta's website
(http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/main/kmpi/Content/c...)
lists several lenses as being discontinued, the 85/1.4 being one of
them. And it seems that most online stores have that item listed as
back-ordered. Of course, I have no clue when KM last updated this list.
And yes, if you'd be so kind I would like it if you would email a copy
of the 7D catalog to me.
Thanks,
Mike
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 7:03:54 PM

Mike Owens wrote:

> I just purchased the 28-75/2.8 D using my rebate ($150 since I bought
> it in Dec). It should arrive in a few days. Would you happen to know,
> other than FL, what the difference between this new lens and your 28-70
> is? I would have thought it was the G optics, but Adorama lists the
> 28-75 as a G lens also. Could be a typo I suppose. B&H only says it's a
> D lens.

G (in Minolta) refers to their professional glass in the last few years
(See Minolta text below). Usually APO, The "D" refers to ADI (flash
integration using focus distance as a strong weight in the flash
exposure (rather than reflected light)).

So a lens can be both G and D.

The new 28-75 f/2.8 is NOT designated "G" in the Konica-Minolta 7D
guidebook. The older 28-70 f/2.8 is a "G".

> Also, I'd think the 85/1.4 would be a good portrait lens for the 7D. Of
> course, KM lists it as discontinued, so finding one...

Do they? It's in my 7D catalog (Guidebook, I'll e-mail the pdf to you
if you like, it's a nice resource to have).

Minolta "G" definition: "G-Series Lenses
G-Series AF lenses stand out for the
distinctive level of image quality and
photographic performance they provide
serious photographers. Circular aperture
design, double floating and floating focusing
systems, AD (Anomalous Dispersion) glass,
aspherical lens elements and a focus-hold
button, are advanced G-Series design
features that help produce a unique soft and
natural defocusing effect, as well as enabling
you to take truly high quality photos with the
sharpness and vividness you expect."

March 21, 2005 9:28:46 PM

Alan Browne wrote:
> Hard to believe they discontinue the 85 f/1.4 but
> come out with a new version of the 600 f/4...

Sometimes you have to wonder about the Mind Of Minolta, even though I
wouldn't trade my equipment.

And thanks for the guide.
Mike
March 21, 2005 11:10:23 PM

Alan Browne wrote:

> Jer wrote:
>
>> Alan Browne wrote:

>>> Given my experience with the camera with esp. the 100 f/2.8 and
>>> 80-200 f/2.8 you won't be sorry. I'm not totally enthuses with the
>>> 28-70 /2.8 results so far, but this ain't bad:
>>> http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/BirchBarkSnow.jp...
>>

>> Thanks for the followup, Alan, looks as though you and I have had
>> similar tastes in glass. I also have a 135 f/2.8 that has a lot of
>> portrait miles on it, so my curiosity will be adding a few more. I'll
>> have to see if my local shop has a 7D available for adoption this week.
>

> Shooting portraits with the 100 f/2.8 (on the 7D) is difficult at best
> in my small studio (living room), unless you have lots of room the 135
> is going to be quite difficult.
>
> Is that 135 the STF? A lens long on my lust list.

Yup, dat be da one. Yes, a bit long for indoor portraits, but outdoors
has been my amateur film use.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Mike Owens wrote:

> I knew that the G optics referred to their professional glass, and
> assumed that at the price of 409.00 that the 28-75 wasn't in that
> category. This is why I was somewhat startled to see Adorama list it as
> a G lens, thus leading to my question.

It would not be the first time that Adorama made an error.

> As far as the guidebook, if it came with my 7D it must have been on the
> CD (which is presently hiding somewhere.) But Minolta's website

No, it's something I found somewhere in MinoltaSpace on the web...

> (http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/main/kmpi/Content/c...)
> lists several lenses as being discontinued, the 85/1.4 being one of
> them. And it seems that most online stores have that item listed as
> back-ordered. Of course, I have no clue when KM last updated this list.
> And yes, if you'd be so kind I would like it if you would email a copy
> of the 7D catalog to me.

Done. (Guidebook, incl. list of accessories).

Cheers,
Alan

March 21, 2005 11:31:30 PM

Mike Owens wrote:

> (http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/main/kmpi/Content/c...)

Thanks for the link. Hard to believe they discontinue the 85 f/1.4 but
come out with a new version of the 600 f/4...

Cheers,
Alan

March 22, 2005 12:49:17 AM

Jer wrote:

> Alan Browne wrote:

>> Is that 135 the STF? A lens long on my lust list.
>>

> Yup, dat be da one. Yes, a bit long for indoor portraits, but outdoors
> has been my amateur film use.

Color me envious...

Cheers,
Alan

March 22, 2005 11:37:04 AM

news:D 1nshh$e42$1@inews.gazeta.pl...
> Mike Owens wrote:

(http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/main/kmpi/Content/c...
axxum_Lenses)

> Thanks for the link. Hard to believe they discontinue the 85 f/1.4 but
> come out with a new version of the 600 f/4...
>
> Cheers,
> Alan

http://konicaminolta.com/investors/pdf/fr/konicaminolta...
Any wonder why K-M is in last place? Minolta always suffered from bad
marketing!
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 12:59:05 PM

Darrell wrote:

> http://konicaminolta.com/investors/pdf/fr/konicaminolta...
> Any wonder why K-M is in last place? Minolta always suffered from bad
> marketing!

The current financial results at K-M, (in the black, if lighter than
expected) are mainly a result of low returns in the information systems
group. The photo group is also performing less than expected, but is
not the main source of woe. The "price deterioration" they are facing
is the same at the other camera companies.

As to "last place", I seriously doubt they are anywhere near last when
you consider companies such as Pentax, Olympus, Contax, Sigma and others.

As a result of the K-M merger, they were quite slow in releasing the Max
7D and they will be late in releasing lower end versions. It will be
interesting to see if they release a higher end version.

March 23, 2005 10:14:28 AM

news:D 1nshh$e42$1@inews.gazeta.pl...

(http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/main/kmpi/Content/c...
axxum_Lenses)

> Thanks for the link. Hard to believe they discontinue the 85 f/1.4 but
> come out with a new version of the 600 f/4...

You need to read the rest of the chart. The 85/1.4 was only
"discontinued" in the sense that was no longer offered in that
version. It was replaced with the 85/1.4 G(D), which is
optically identical.
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 11:07:20 AM

Robert Lynch wrote:

> You need to read the rest of the chart. The 85/1.4 was only
> "discontinued" in the sense that was no longer offered in that
> version. It was replaced with the 85/1.4 G(D), which is
> optically identical.

Whoops! There it is! I thing the "[RS]" in the box fooled my scanner
(Mk I EB).

Thanks,
Alan

March 23, 2005 11:12:39 AM

Alan Browne wrote:

> Robert Lynch wrote:
>
>> You need to read the rest of the chart. The 85/1.4 was only
>> "discontinued" in the sense that was no longer offered in that
>> version. It was replaced with the 85/1.4 G(D), which is
>> optically identical.
>

> Whoops! There it is! I thing the "[RS]" in the box fooled my scanner
> (Mk I EB).

Whoops again. Not even that one. But I do see the G (D) version
further down.

March 23, 2005 7:35:27 PM

Jer wrote:

> Seems odd a rebate would already be offered for a relatively recent
product. <shrug>

It's a good camera, and the recent lens announcements make it even more
attractive. But it is compared against the Canon 20D, and even with the
integral anti-shake, the 7D was perceived as being overpriced. The 20D
is around $1200 on sale, with the kit lens. The 7D was around $1500,
with the kit lens. So it was perceived as being overpriced, especially
by people that didn't see the value in the anti-shake feature.

With the rebates, you can get the 7D, with the 28-100 lens, for $1270
(see
"http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...").

This is a very good deal, if you're not already committed to the Nikon
or Canon system.
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 12:29:34 PM

Alan Browne wrote:

>I would hazzard the guess that 80% or more of 7D sales go to people
with
$1,000 or more in Minolta lenses.

Which is probably why Konica-Minotla is effectively dropping the price
to the level of the 20D. Selling mainly to previous KM SLR owners is
not going to be sufficient.

To a buyer that looks only at features, it could be an effective ad
campaign for KM to compare the 7D against 20D, focusing (no pun
intended) on the anti-shake feature, and how on Canon you need to buy
expensive lenses to get that feature.
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 1:26:10 PM

Scharf-DCA wrote:

> Jer wrote:
>

>>Seems odd a rebate would already be offered for a relatively recent
>
> product. <shrug>
>
> It's a good camera, and the recent lens announcements make it even more
> attractive. But it is compared against the Canon 20D, and even with the
> integral anti-shake, the 7D was perceived as being overpriced. The 20D
> is around $1200 on sale, with the kit lens. The 7D was around $1500,
> with the kit lens. So it was perceived as being overpriced, especially
> by people that didn't see the value in the anti-shake feature.

I would hazzard the guess that 80% or more of 7D sales go to people with
$1,000 or more in Minolta lenses.

March 24, 2005 5:00:11 PM

Scharf-DCA wrote:

> intended) on the anti-shake feature, and how on Canon you need to buy
> expensive lenses to get that feature.

.... that's been their approach since the A1 days... it was close to 100%
certain that the A-S would be in the digital body whenever it appeared.