4870x2 - All games crashes

santi1703

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
Hello, I'm Santiago from Argentina, I have a problem with my pc, I guess it's the GPU because windows crashes mostly when running games, more frequently when running on fullscreen.

I have just updated my pc from:

- ASUS M3A78 HDMI
- 2X2 GB 800 MHZ Kingston RAM
- AMD Phenom 9870
- PSU Power Cooler 850 W

to

- ASUS M5A99X EVO
- 2X8 GB 1333 MHZ GSkill RAM
- AMD FX 8150
same VGA and PSU

It just happens that EVERY game that uses 3D makes the pc crash, not restart, just the last frame rendered and a noise on the audio, I just have to reset the pc.

Can anybody tell me what should I look at? Please ask me for anything I could forgot to tell :)

Thank you :) excuse my bad english lol

vegettonox

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
If its not only happening during games i would start to think power supply. I recommend you swap out your power supply if at all possible, run on a single card if you need to and determine if it continues with just one card.

I have seen this identical situation and it was almost always a result of a faulty power supply. Since you are not getting a bsod screen I would assume power supply as anything else would generally net you a bsod with code.

The X2 has two GPU's, remember, so it looks like a Crossfire config even though it's a single card.

104C is way too hot. Is your case cooling adequate? Have you at any time replaced the thermal paste on the GPU's? Any 4xxx series card is bound to have a few years behind it, and with age plus heavy usage the thermal material may be degraded to the point where it needs to be replaced.

santi1703

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
mmmmm nop, I never opened its case, the cooling on my case is not so bad i guess :S it really confuses me how before I replaced motherboard and cpu that crashes wasn't happening :S

santi1703

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
yes, I have installed all the system drivers, also, the driver that I have installed for the VGA is the latest on AMD page...I think I will take the pc to a...technic is called in english? to replace the case's coolers and thermal solution of the GPU