6850 not working. is it my motherboard?

Medec5

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
Hello everyone, i have a quick question, i'm trying to upgrade my old sapphire hd 4870 to a hd 6850

my pc specs are

foxconn a7vmx-k mobo
4 gigs of ddr 2 8500 pc2 fatality memory
500 watt powersupply, i cant remember the brand but i know its not some off market brand its either corsair or ocz something of this sort

my pcie is a 2.0 x16 and the 6850 has a less power consumption than my current card, and im unable to get the card to boot.
now im positive the card works, my wifes computer once is is a pos emachines, running a winfast board can get this card to boot.

so is it just that my mobo is unable to support this board, im very pc swavy, i have done everything from resetting all my clocks to a bios jumper reset, trying a different psu, unplugging different hardware, i have even tired using a the molex to 6 pin cord that came with my video card instead of the ones that came off my psu rails once i know work just fine, then have been powering my 4870 fine for years now.

any help would be great, thanks!

Medec5

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
Yup turns on fan spins I can use the on video to get into windows but my 6850 won't show up in task manager not even a ! Symbol my monitor when connected to it just says no video detected and then goes into sleep. My mother in laws computer same board but running an athlon x2 7750 won't post the card either

Medec5

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
I have updated my bios already to enabled am3 support, they only update left for my bios is has nothing to do with video support, ill have to look up what it does, but i pretty sure this would not fix my problem :(

Medec5

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012

yes the card still works for now, im getting the overheating light, i reapplied some artic silver to the card since the old thermal paste was darn near gone, but i went ahead in ordered a new video card anyways due to the fact that this card is going on 5 years old for me now and i have darn near ran it into the ground.