Switching displays between Quadro & GTX - long term risks?

DriesV

Honorable
May 31, 2012
Hi,

I have a system with a Quadro 2000 & GTX 670. Being in the top PCIe slot, the Quadro is the primary display device. The system is connected to a dual-monitor setup (2 monitors in total, shared by the two cards).
It runs one W7 installation with the GeForce 306.23 driver.

The Quadro 2000 is connected to my 1st display through DisplayPort and to my 2nd display through DVI.
The GTX 670 is connected to my 1st display through DVI and to my 2nd display through HDMI.

My display configuration is managed by DisplayFusion through 2 display profiles.
*1st profile: "Design & CAD workflow", display outputs on Quadro enabled (outputs on GTX disabled), DisplayPort as primary display.
*2nd profile: "Gaming", display outputs on GTX enabled (outputs on Quadro disabled), DVI as primary display.

I can thus switch between the Quadro and GTX within W7 by loading these DisplayFusion profiles.
Everytime I switch profiles, my screens go blank for a second or two and my outputs are switched accordingly. This has been working very well for the last two days.

Can this switching between graphic cards (enabling/disabling of display outputs) cause damage to my graphic cards on the long term?

greetings,
Dries

DriesV

Honorable
May 31, 2012

Well, I recently had my previous GTX 670 die on me. It failed during a Bunkspeed rendering, after which I couldn't get it to display or do CUDA stuff without BSOD 116 (nvlddmkm.sys "recovery failed"...).

So now with my replacement card I'm extra careful as to what I do with it ;).
But I guess my previous GTX 670 was just fauly from the get-go.

greetings,
Dries