Radio controlled slave flash

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 20, 2005 9:44:40 PM

I am thinking about getting a wireless radio sender to trigger slave
flashes, along with 5-6 matching receivers, and set up a battery of
cheap auto flashes (e.g. Vivitar 283s) to be bounced against ceilings,
softboxes and and brollys in situations where a single strobe is
inadequate (e.g. receptions, wide angle shots in large interiors).

Q1: Does anyone here have experience with such a radio-controlled
flash set-up and would comment on how pratical and useful it is?

B&H sells the "Quantum Slave 4i" set for $300. I assume this is an
excellent product - but it is not cheap.

On eBay, an outfit know as Joe's Photo Action sells a similar item -
named "GT301-B" - for around $50. It is probably less well built than
the Quantum, and has a smaller reach (100 ft vd. 350 ft.) - but
appears to be able do the same thing. The 100 ft reach is adequate
for my needs.

Here is a link to the eBay item:

I haven't seen a review of this product, nor have I seen it for sale
anywhere else. I like the low price, but I also know that you usually
get what you pay for. The huge price differences compared to the
Quantum kit makes me wary. It may mean that the GT301-B is a bargain,
or it may mean that it is the sort of useless cr*p one can easily pick
up from eBay if one is not careful (i.e. something that does not work
well, is unreliable, awkward to use, or will break easily).

Q2: Does anyone here have experience with this product and can comment
on its quality and usability?

Q3: Is there a similar product from other sources I should consider?
March 20, 2005 9:44:41 PM

Gisle Hannemyr wrote:

> I am thinking about getting a wireless radio sender to trigger slave
> flashes, along with 5-6 matching receivers, and set up a battery of
> cheap auto flashes (e.g. Vivitar 283s) to be bounced against ceilings,
> softboxes and and brollys in situations where a single strobe is
> inadequate (e.g. receptions, wide angle shots in large interiors).
>
> Q1: Does anyone here have experience with such a radio-controlled
> flash set-up and would comment on how pratical and useful it is?
>
> B&H sells the "Quantum Slave 4i" set for $300. I assume this is an
> excellent product - but it is not cheap.
>
> On eBay, an outfit know as Joe's Photo Action sells a similar item -
> named "GT301-B" - for around $50. It is probably less well built than
> the Quantum, and has a smaller reach (100 ft vd. 350 ft.) - but
> appears to be able do the same thing. The 100 ft reach is adequate
> for my needs.
>
> Here is a link to the eBay item:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
>
> I haven't seen a review of this product, nor have I seen it for sale
> anywhere else. I like the low price, but I also know that you usually
> get what you pay for. The huge price differences compared to the
> Quantum kit makes me wary. It may mean that the GT301-B is a bargain,
> or it may mean that it is the sort of useless cr*p one can easily pick
> up from eBay if one is not careful (i.e. something that does not work
> well, is unreliable, awkward to use, or will break easily).
>
> Q2: Does anyone here have experience with this product and can comment
> on its quality and usability?
>
> Q3: Is there a similar product from other sources I should consider?

check calumet.

I chose pocketwizard, more expensive.

I assumed that a unit claiming 100 feet,
might go far less distance inside a building.
will you be happy if a wall reduces your range by 50%?

PW claims 1000,1500 feet,
and one trans + 1 rec go for 350 at calumet.
extra recievers are 184,
and two way units are 295.

to move about the studio,
or using fill strobes, to move about outdoors,
and to know that the sync and lighting will be good is very nice.
I would hate to go back to cords. I have two rec and one trans,
and expect to get one more pair.
they can be used to trigger some cameras,
if they have electrical remote contacts.
(hence the second transmitter)

transmitter sits on the flash shoe,
and the recievers screw onto the studs that manfrotto clamps use.
(1/4"?)

I have also used my sunpak 622 with a reciever,
clamped to all sorts of tables chairs, counters.

I walk around, and when I shoot, flash!

> --
> - gisle hannemyr [ gisle{at}hannemyr.no - http://folk.uio.no/gisle/ ]
> Kodak DCS460, Canon Powershot G5, Olympus 2020Z
March 21, 2005 12:37:34 PM

Gisle Hannemyr wrote:

> I am thinking about getting a wireless radio sender to trigger slave
> flashes, along with 5-6 matching receivers, and set up a battery of
> cheap auto flashes (e.g. Vivitar 283s) to be bounced against ceilings,
> softboxes and and brollys in situations where a single strobe is
> inadequate (e.g. receptions, wide angle shots in large interiors).
>
> Q1: Does anyone here have experience with such a radio-controlled
> flash set-up and would comment on how pratical and useful it is?

It's fantastic. 100% trigger rate and no slave flashes from other
people's cameras. (Shooting shows where other people have their P&S's,
I set up 3 flashes with color gels and pocket wizard receivers...).

> Q3: Is there a similar product from other sources I should consider?

Same product for £29 :
http://www.linktrader.co.uk/showitem3879931765

I don't this product at all, but I'd love to buy these. Pocket wizards
are very expensive. (I rent them when I need them).

Cheers,
Alan

March 21, 2005 4:28:54 PM

In article <423DE712.287F@cox.net>, Crownfield <Crownfield@cox.net>
wrote:

> > On eBay, an outfit know as Joe's Photo Action sells a similar item -
> > named "GT301-B" - for around $50. It is probably less well built than
> > the Quantum, and has a smaller reach (100 ft vd. 350 ft.) - but
> > appears to be able do the same thing. The 100 ft reach is adequate
> > for my needs.
> >
> > Here is a link to the eBay item:
> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...

I have one of the joes photo auction ones... one transmitter and two
recievers.. It works 100%.... my studio is on 2 floors, the trigger
works the downstairs flash if I'm upstairs and vica versa. The studio is
brick built,and about about 30 yards from my house, and the remote
trigger happily fires the studio flash through the walls from inside my
house. I have taken the remote to the bottom of my garden which is 100
metres from the studio, and it still fires the flashes..
So I have no qualms whatsoever about recommending this system...
I use it with bowens, elinchrom and broncolour studio flashes both power
pack and monobloc types..
regards
Andy
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 4:28:55 PM

andy T wrote:

> In article <423DE712.287F@cox.net>, Crownfield <Crownfield@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
> > > On eBay, an outfit know as Joe's Photo Action sells a similar item -
> > > named "GT301-B" - for around $50. It is probably less well built than
> > > the Quantum, and has a smaller reach (100 ft vd. 350 ft.) - but
> > > appears to be able do the same thing. The 100 ft reach is adequate
> > > for my needs.
> > >
> > > Here is a link to the eBay item:
> > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...

Andy:

poor quoting.

did you realize that you left my name in,
and quoted absolutely nothing that I posted,

took someone elses name out,
but attributed his post to me?

> regards
> Andy
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 9:48:03 AM

andy T <event-video@btclick.com> writes:

> I have one of the joes photo auction ones... one transmitter and two
> recievers.. It works 100%....

Thanks! Is it the GT301-B or GT301-A?

In that case, would you be so kind and check out the following
for me:

1. What radio frequency (band) do the transmitter use?
2. What is the rated output effect in mW from the transmitter?
3. Is the item CE-marked (I assume yes, since he specifically
sells to the UK where the CE-mark is mandatory, but it
is nice to know for sure).

TIA!