I5 3570K Worth it?

I've been reading and in my build i was able to include a 128GB ssd but i had to lower the cpu cooler to an CM Hyper 212+ and to an i5 2500K so i was reading that the extra $30 for the i5 3570K is not worth it? Orginally it was an i5 3570K no ssd, so what should i do?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/owYN
17 answers Last reply
More about 3570k worth
  1. if it was me id personally go with the 2500k and ssd because most games now a days are gpu heavy
  2. I think a Radeon 7870 is fine and the ssd over the 3570K would be a better choice i suppose?
  3. the actual real world performance increase you will see from a 3570k is little to none unless your doing very heavy video editing. the ssd will shows its performance right off the gate and deliver a much smoother experience.
  4. kiickz1 said:
    I think a Radeon 7870 is fine and the ssd over the 3570K would be a better choice i suppose?


    From what I've been reading, the 2500k is actually a little bit better overclocker if that is of any interest. I went with a 3570k, but I think performance wise that it probably is not worth $30 more. However, I believe the Ivy bridge CPU performs about 10% better so that would account for the difference in price.

    I think it would be more about the platform, but if you chose to go with a Z77 chipset it wouldn't matter. So flip a coin, but I don't think you'd be missing out on much with the 2500k.
  5. Ok i guess it's the i5 2500K then and another question Hyper 212 Evo vs + performance diff? even though it's like $5 more what is it? and why is your i5 at 4.0 OC'd i've read hyper 212 have OC'd and i5 3570k 4.2-4.5 good temps?
  6. Actually the i5-3570k on microcenter is at 169.99$, switch the cpu for the i5-3570k, save ~50$

    http://www.microcenter.com/product/388577/Core_i5_3570K_34GHz_LGA_1155_Processor

    Definitely switch the ssd for this one : http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0077CR60Q/?tag=pcpapi-20
  7. djangoringo said:
    Actually the i5-3570k on microcenter is at 169.99$, switch the cpu for the i5-3570k, save ~50$

    http://www.microcenter.com/product/388577/Core_i5_3570K_34GHz_LGA_1155_Processor

    Definitely switch the ssd for this one : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442


    Haha and you assume i live next to a microcenter??? nice and i'm fine i can't put no more money in the budget.
  8. How would i know ? Still i think other shops will follow the price, i'd take a eye on that.
    Cause 50 $ less buys you a good ssd : the samsung 830 128gb or crucial m4 128 gb.
    That ssd that you chose is really bad, it is sata 2 has half of the performance of the two above and its only less ~20$.
    Edit : the samsung 830 128gb is now $99.53 on amazon so only 15$ more : http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0077CR60Q/?tag=pcpapi-20
  9. Cheapest i5 3570K is $200 on ebay $8 shipping to us and an ssd is better than no ssd at all.
  10. djangoringo said:
    How would i know ? Still i think other shops will follow the price, i'd take a eye on that.
    Cause 50 $ less buys you a good ssd : the samsung 830 128gb or crucial m4 128 gb.
    That ssd that you chose is really bad, it is sata 2 has half of the performance of the two above and its only less ~20$.
    Edit : the samsung 830 128gb is now $99.53 on amazon so only 15$ more : http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0077CR60Q/?tag=pcpapi-20


    There's i5 3570k amazon $205
  11. The 3570k is a more efficient cpu. It runs cooler and is a tad faster. When you overclock, its won't clock as high (if you are interested in running a 5HZ cpu) and when it does run overclocked, its much harder to cool. I would go with the 3570k myself as I wouldn't overclock that high anyway. If you have them money, get it, if you don't, the 2500k is a great cpu too.
  12. kiickz1 said:
    Ok i guess it's the i5 2500K then and another question Hyper 212 Evo vs + performance diff? even though it's like $5 more what is it? and why is your i5 at 4.0 OC'd i've read hyper 212 have OC'd and i5 3570k 4.2-4.5 good temps?


    My understanding is the EVO is better looking but exactly the same performance wise in tests. They both are fine coolers in their price range. To do better you would be looking at $50+, which is fine if getting the best OC is a goal.

    As far as the overclocking goes, 4.0 is a perfectly reasonable and safe over clock for 24/7 operation. I had my FX 8120 up to 4.4 Ghz easily, but backed off to a 4.0 day to day overclock. It depends on how long you want to keep your processor. Overclocking will shorten the lifespan.
  13. The 212 EVO's main difference to the 212+ is the baseplate. Much wider direct contact heatpipes that primarily leads to better idle temps. The fan is better as well.
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/cm_hyper212_evo/4.htm

    I had a Hyper 212 EVO on my 3570k and was easily running at 4.2Ghz. Only reason I haven't gone much higher now that its water-cooled is because I don't want to really mess with voltages when this CPU has to last me a good 3yrs (Also don't really need the performance boost overclocking it further brings).
  14. microcenter has the i5 2600k for 99.00
  15. Yea i'll go with the i5 3570k 205 on amazon. Sucks microcenter does not ship :( 169 dollars at mc...
  16. my 2500k is only 4ghz because i dont want to push the chip i stay under 65c during prime 95 runs
  17. I think i'm done i'm going with this i really have no need to oc http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ozFG
Ask a new question

Read More

Build SSD Cooling Intel i5 Systems Product