Crazy Bargain Build $300! Thoughts?

stevecarn

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
Hi folks! Here's the deal. I put together a pc with a friend back in 2005. Slowly upgraded it since then but it's totally obsolete (and then some) by now. I'm looking to keep my current monster of a case, and pop in a new MOBO, CPU, video card, RAM, all for ~ $350 (very tight budget). Would like it if computer could run current games (Mass Effect 3?) at decent specs, but it is not meant to be a hardcore gaming tool. Following is the checklist:

--------------------

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: This week preferably

Budget Range: $350 total

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Surfing the web! Occasional gaming.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Motherboard, CPU, RAM, Video Card, and possible PSU (currently have a 420 W PSU, 20+4Pin, wouldn't mind keeping it but will upgrade if needed).

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: NewEgg, although I'm flexible if better deals are readily availble.

Parts Preferences: Not sure. My previous CPU was AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1.8GHz Socket 939 Single-Core Processor, I'm not really sure if I have serious leanings for AMD vs Intel.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Unsure

Your Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024-already own, will not be replacing.

Additional Comments: I do game on occasion (Mass Effect and Mirror's Edge, would like to be able to play Mass Effect 2). Other than that, I mostly would be checking email, browsing, , nothing too intense.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My previous computer was put together with a friend in 2005. Yes, 2005. I've slowly upgraded it, with more RAM and newer video cards, but it's far past obsolete. I would like to keep the current PSU (420W), Desktop case (It's a beast, lot's of room: RAIDMAX Scorpio ATX-868WBP Black 0.8mm Japanese SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case) and monitor. Just looking for advice on new motherboard, CPU and video card. If I must get a new PSU, I'm willing to do so.

Here's the build I was looking at, what do you all think?
1. BIOSTAR Hi-Fi A85W FM2 AMD A85X (Hudson D4) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813138366 comes with Free 2x4GB memory with purchase, limited offer

2. Western Digital WD Black WD5003AZEX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822236345
-$30.00 Instant $99.99
$69.99

3. AMD A10-5800K Trinity 3.8GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD ...
Item #: N82E16819113280
$129.99

Total: $301.95

----

Thank you for any suggestions and help you can offer!

seriousgamer

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
Im not very good with builds but from what I've heard the APU seems nice and your resolution isnt super high so I dont think it should have any problems but Im not a pro.

What i wanted to tell you was that last week there was a deal going on at microcenter (if u have one near u) for an I5 3570k for only $100!
I dont know if u wanna wait until they do another deal like this up to u
Good luck

ckholt83

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
I think one or both of us might be confused. You're saying you only need a new motherboard, CPU, and GPU, but you have a hard drive eating up a good chunk of your budget there?

Also, could you be a little more specific as to the make/model of the PSU, and also which city you're in? If you have the option of picking up the CPU in store at Microcenter, it will have a big impact on possible recommendations.

You're running at pretty low resolution, so the Trinity onboard graphics will likely be fine for you for light gaming, but it's possible you might be able to do better depending on some of the aforementioned variables.

Spiker101_15

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012

Wait wtf!! How often do they do deals like that? I have one 5 minutes away but I never went in. Do I have to go inside everyday and check or do they post the deal online too?

stevecarn

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

Looks like I neglected to add the HDD info. Yeah, I'm looking to upgrade the hard drive as well. The old 160gb drive is a joke :)

I do live within 1 hour of a Microcenter. A bit of a drive but I'm open to suggestions. Haven't been to one before, is it a bit like Fry's?

PSU info: Enermax Whisper 431 W psu...lot's of cables coming off of it, sorry, I think it's 20 + 4 pin, I have adapter for it too

TRENDING THREADS