Mike_120

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
Hello,

I'm having a lot of trouble using my third monitor. Basically, I have 1 monitor going DVI - DVI, one DVI - HDMI and the third is supposed to go DVI - Mini DP.

However the third monitor doesn't get recognised after the windows boot screen. Usually the middle monitor shuts off & the MDP one comes on and then shuts off.

I am using an active DVI - Mini DP converter purchased from the Apple store today. My graphics card is the Raedon HD 7870 2gb with 1 dvi, 1 hdmi & 2 Mini DP.

Please help me before i end up destroying my card & monitor!

Mike_120

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
I've got 2 adaptors. One cheap one from amazon and then a £25ish one from Apple. I should point out that I'm not intending to use Eyefinity.

& surely having the monitor work right up until windows logs in shows that cables / adapters are working?

Mike_120

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
Also, when I bring up the screen resolution menu, it shows that there are 3 monitors there, but with the DP one all the options are greyed out. It still says that it is my Dell U2312HM though. However, CCC doesn't recognize it at all.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Try cycling power on the display port adapter (edit again: Once you've booted up and the monitor has dropped out that is). I have a display port monitor which loses connectivity pretty regularly on my 7870 (I'm pretty sure the issue is AMD's drivers, as the issue became more common when I installed windows 8), I have to reset the monitor (aka the display port device) to get it to come back.

For me this usually happens after the computer goes to standby, however it does happen on boot sometimes.

edit: For the record, my monitor is connected directly, via DP to mini-DP cable.

Mike_120

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
Thanks for the replies. Yes it's active. I've switched the connection so that the dp monitor is the second monitor (works great) so now the 3rd monitor is DVI - DVI and has the same problem....

Mike_120

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012

Okay I've just done that still to no avail. Same thing happened.. 3rd monitor came on during boot while 2nd didn't & then they switched after login...

@xunicronx There was an update available for it a few days ago, but I guess there's no harm in uninstalling & reinstalling. I'll do that now.

RussK1

Splendid

Are you getting any pop-ups saying like "link fail"? Some software screws up the drivers for Eyefinity. In my case was HWinfo64...

Feldii

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
What CPU and motherboard do you have? I wonder if there is any chance that Windows is getting confused by having integrated graphics around. Make sure if integrated graphics exists that it is disabled in BIOS if possible and disabled in the device manager, if you see it there.

Mike_120

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012

I have the Intel i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz, 16gb RAM and this is what 'Speccy' says my motherboard is Dell Inc. 0YJPT1 (CPU 1)

Under device manager I don't see any onboard graphics, only the card... i'll check bios EDIT: nope. Nothing in bios

Feldii

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Sounds like it isn't any confusion with the integrated graphics then. The integrated graphics on the i7-3770 actually does support 3 monitors I believe, if you wanted to try it, though I'm not sure what outputs you've got available on that motherboard.

Mike_120

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012

Yeah that's what i thought. I would try that but it only has 1 output.