CD burner & win 2k

ArchZ

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
I've recently installed Win 2k over Win 98. Every since then I haven't been able to burn faster than 4x in audio CD.
In 98 I was consistently able to burn at 8x. I was using Adaptec and changed to Nero -- still same problem. Any config settings or application problems I should know about?

FatBurger

Illustrious
It's always better to do a clean install (as opposed to upgrade), if possible.

Sorry, no ideas.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
"Any config settings or application problems I should know about?"

1) Friendly Fire; isn't.
2) When in doubt, empty the clip.
3) The easy way is always mined.
4) Beer math is 4 beers x 35men = 63 cases

So, anyway, I agree. A clean install solves *Sooooooooooo* many problems with Windows. All flavors. Rather than spending 2+ (minimum) hours scouring for a workaround or a fix, or just trying to figure out what the hell is wrong, I backup/crash/install. I have no idea how many times I've installed a program, just to find out it overwrote aspi32.dll or some .cpl/.ocx file and made the system unusable.

Rich is the nation that has many war heroes. Long since forgotten...

ArchZ

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
OK I'll do the clean install. Just to verify, no one knows of any reasons why win2k would slow a burner down.
I don't think it's my hardware...tbird 900 and 256mb ram
and it ran fine before 2k...

thanks for the help

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Slow down a burner?

No. If it was possible, I would expect it to 'speed up' a burner.
I would definately (since you're probably running without justlink/burnproof) expect it to perform many more successful burns when you're trying to do something else too (multitask) over win98/me.

Rich is the nation that has many war heroes. Long since forgotten...