How is this for a cheap gaming computer

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
RAM is overpriced.
I wouldn't suggest a Biostar board.
7770 should perform fairly close to the 6870 especially with the new drivers.
CM PSUs have high failure rates, the Antec VP-450 is the best PSU you can get in the 450w range.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($81.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock 970DE3/U3S3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($20.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card ($116.97 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($31.64 @ NCIX US)
Total: $361.57
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-21 02:43 EST-0500)

cutebeans

Distinguished
An Intel 2120 would be better if it's gaming.

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H61M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: PNY Optima 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($14.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card ($109.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 311 (Silver) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($39.31 @ Compuvest)
Total: $349.26
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-21 02:57 EST-0500)

twelve25

Distinguished
Why is everyone still spec'ing 1x4GB DIMM? We all know you want 2 for performance and it's not even any more money.

You had a $150 Radeon 6850 in your build and you can get a 7850 1GB for that price which is easily 50% faster.

See what you think of this build:

CPU: Intel Pentium G860 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor ($67.74 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ECS B75H2-M3(1.0) Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($50.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 311 (Silver) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($53.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $395.67

There are a lot of rebates included, though.

cutebeans

Distinguished

Becaus he wants it to be very low budget.

cutebeans

Distinguished

On what? Benchmark tests? Also, if you didn't know we put in 1x4gb so that he can buy another one when he has the money for 8gb so that he won't be limited to only 4gb.

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
I seriously doubt that someone with a really tight budget would have the option to pay the full price upfront and just wait for rebates. You have gone almost $100(~$80) over his original total.

I agree dual-channel would be better, though lol, you make it sound like the difference margin is so great that we committed a crime by spec'ing 1 DIMM. It shouldn't even make much of a difference in gaming.

ECS doesn't have the best reputation in motherboards as well, you basically cheaped out on the motherboard to squeeze in the 7850, and yet you still ended up way over his original total.

550w is also overkill. I doubt he'll be OC'ing a Pentium CPU, and even then 450w would be fine.

cutebeans

Distinguished

+1 to the beautiful excella! If she's really a girl. LOL

twelve25

Distinguished

Why don't we let the OP decide what they can afford. I hope people aren't spending every last penny on a computer build, and usually people want to spend less than they have.

Alright, I am sure you'd love running a single DIMM in your next build, so I will leave that one alone.

That ECS is a newer B75 chip with 6GB SATA and USB 3. I've never had any issues with ECS. I didn't cheap out on the board, I picked one that is more modern. I could just as easily say you cheaped out the video card to get a more expensive board that adds nothing to the build. Mainly I swapped to a cheaper, similar performing, CPU to pay for the video card.

450W is underkill for a 7850, which is included in my build.

You don't seem to take kindly to people recommending different parts than you, I've noticed. Don't worry, there is more than one right solution.

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

Wasn't deciding for him, you did by going over his original total. All I did was change some stuff but stayed in his range. I hope people understand that some people just really have tight budgets and won't exaggerate on things.

Good job on missing the point over the RAM thing. I already agreed with the dual-channel thing.

I didn't even comment on the chipset nor the features that come along with it. I noted that the brand itself isn't very reputable in terms of reliability and efficiency. Again, if I stoop to the price range you went to, the 7850 would fit in perfectly so I don't see where you're coming from.

The 7850 is one of the most power efficient cards in this generation. 450w is good enough for a single GPU unit even at max load which doesn't even happen alot. The 7850 page on the AMD website says 500w "or greater" is recommended, that statement itself already is questionable, they're probably saying that to account for cheap quality power supply units. If you don't believe me, you can go ahead and use a PSU calculator for your build.

That's ironic since cutebeans posted before you and he did a build that's completely different to mine - I have said nothing. You may need to observe more. What I don't appreciate are unnecessary comments that somehow provokes or infuriates other people and implying that what they're doing is such a great mistake. Whether or not that was your intetion, I don't know, but that's how it rubbed in on me.

It's also good to check other threads since most of them I say nothing with other build suggestions, I even +1 those I see that are quite well done.

cbag

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
I think the original build is fine except the RAM and the GPU. Never had a problem with Biostar personally. But for the money you need to get the 7850 and get 8gb of RAM (2x4gb for dual channel) for the same price.

cutebeans

Distinguished

Dude, you obviously don't know what you are talking about. I wouldn't be such an ass in the forums especially when your build recommendations aren't that hot. 450w is plenty for a 7850.

ECS is pretty cheap and isn't as good as other motherboard manufacturers that's why they don't get recommended much by anyone ever.

She does take kindly to other people recommending other builds, it's probably more like you who has a problem. I would just shut up especially when you aren't saying helpful things.

Dual Channel has its benefits but it's not something that you'd notice or is it a big improvement over single channel.

cutebeans

Distinguished

Yeah, it's pretty ironic. =( PCPartpicker already has a PSU wattage system and he'll see that 450w is more than enough. I wouldn't give this guy any attention looking at his rank and yours, it's obvious who the OP needs to believe.

twelve25

Distinguished

Online web rank? That just means someone talks alot. How about 15 years in I.T. and 20 building my own computers? Does that mean anything? Go ahead and have a web fight, I'm just trying to help people out, not win points or gain your approval.