Fotlok

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
Hello, first time posting so sorry if I make some mistakes!

I have a problem; my Sapphire HD 6950(stock, no O/C - changes at all) was working alright for the year and a half I have my desktop PC. Early this month I moved abroad and when my PC finally arrived two weeks later, the card would give no signal when connected to my screen(screen would go into sleep mode without showing anything at all). I switched the HDMI from the external card to the integrated one and the screen showed fine, able to go into Windows and do everything. What is also strange is that the card's fans are running, rather loud as well, but the card does not show up in the device manager, Catalyst also notifies me upon startup that no AMD/ATI adaptor is found...

So far I have tried: connecting over VGA, unseating and reseating the card, checked all connectors, changed BIOS settings to start with the PCIe x16 first, updated card drivers, pretty much things that can narrow it down. Therefore, the issue is not in the cable, screen or the software settings. Since the card fans are running then the card sure gets power.

I am at a loss as to what is the issue. Moving the card to another slot(the x8 I believe one) is difficult since the fan would be above the SATA cables... I am open to any and all suggestions - searching other similar posts I seemed to find no more useful info/solutions than the ones I tried.

Finally, system specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte H67A-UD3H
Processor: Intel Core i7-2600
RAM: Corsair 8GB - 4 sticks of 2, can't find the particular model name
Disk: WD Caviar Black 1TB
Graphics card: Sapphire HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 PCIE

Cheers :D

teokk

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
Are you sure you connected the 6 pin connectors from the PSU to it? Since if you run your PC without them the card will get enough power to start the fan and it will go at 100% power. Then once you plug both 6 pin cables from the PSU the fan will start running at normal speed and the card will work ( I accidentally forgot to plug them in).

As ridicules as this sounds:

The board could have been damaged. It may have cracks.
This happens when the cooling tower is left on, while moving.
Not that you have one, but it's possible.

Put the video card in the correct slot.

try all the video outputs on the card, not just the usual one.
Leave the internal video on..
here is a procedure that worked to get the CCC AMD functioning.
It may seem a bit strange, but it worked on a lot of non functional systems.

Sign in as administrator (If you are not administrator you may be blocked)
Close all the applications that are being used...save and close your files...
Turn Off the antivirus and firewall, turn off the functions of windows defender.
If you have multiple security programs installed, they must be turned ALL off. Security will prevent your driver from installing...
Download the latest CCC driver package, and save it to an easy location. Make sure this is the correct driver for your card.
Delete all the current AMD video software and drivers, restart the system (the video will look screwy, don't worry)
Now load install all the newest CCC drivers and restart the system (the driver will not work (yet) as you said, but load it anyway)
left click start
left click computer
right click C drive
Left click Open
Right click Users
Left click properties
"Check" mark the box that says: Attributes: "Hidden" (there is now a check-mark in the "Hidden" box)
Click: "Apply"
Now the system will apply the hidden attributes...and this will take a while, or maybe a long while. Let this proceed, and don't interrupt it...
During this procedure, a message may inform you that you do not have administrator privilege to the file you are trying to change the attributes of. That's OK. Just click: "ignore all."
When this procedure is finished, click OK (the box will close after you click OK)
Now you will once again be looking at folders in C drive (don’t close the C drive window or you may regret it)
(once again) right click Users
(once again) left click properties
UN- check the box that says: Attributes "Hidden" (you will now take the check mark OUT, Hidden is no longer checked)
Click Apply
Now the computer will UN-apply the hidden attributes, and it may take a while, or a long while...but let it proceed, and finish, don't interrupt it.
During this procedure, a message may inform you that you are not the administrator of the file that you are trying to change the attributes of. That's OK, just click: "ignore all."
When this is completed click OK
Now close all windows and restart the computer
turn all the security back on.
At this point, the CCC should be functional. Open the CCC and test the functions...

Since the fan speed is controlled by the cards bios and the drivers if the card is not working correctly the fans would run at full speed. The only thing I can think of is to double check that both PCI-E power cables are plugged in and the card is seated correctly in the PCI-E slot.

I had a 5850 go bad and the GPU fan would run full speed even without the PCI-E power cables plugged into the card so you can't rule that out.