Sign in with
Your question

Radeon 7770 issue(compatibility?)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 25, 2012 5:48:35 PM

Hi there guys I recently bought an XFX Radeon 7770 Double Dissipation edition and I am struggling to plug it in my pc all day.My mobo: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5VVM...
and psu: Enermax FMA II EG565AX-VE (535W)

The card sits firmly in the pci-e slot and I connected a 6-pin cable from the psu to the card.

When I turn on the pc lights power on and it starts making some noise but the monitor shows no signal.This does not seem to be an issue of the monitor as it works with my older card(geforce 7600GS) plus the keyboard and mouse dont power up and sounds from windows etc cant be heard from the speakers.

I tried updating the bios to the latest version but it hasnt worked...
Any ideas??

a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2012 5:57:45 PM

Did you remove all your nvidia drivers when you uninstalled your old card?

You could also try pulling the cmos batter for 5 minutes and then putting it back in.
September 25, 2012 6:15:55 PM

No I didnt uninstall the nvidia drivers but can this be a driver issue since the pc doesnt seem to even boot?
Anyway I will try your suggestions and see...
Related resources
September 25, 2012 6:19:37 PM

Also forgot to ask what changes will pulling the cmos battery have? Like will it reset the settings?Or will I need to set them because I have never done something like this before.
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2012 7:09:00 PM

So you thought your AMD card would work well with Nvidia drivers?

You said the lights power on and you hear noise (hard drive spinning up and fans spinning) but no signal to monitor. Why do you think it's not booting?

Cmos keeps your bios settings. This will re-set to factory defaults.
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2012 7:30:17 PM

Drivers would not cause this problem...

It seems like the system is powering on but not booting up. Is that correct OP?
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2012 7:32:50 PM

ish416 said:
Drivers would not cause this problem...

It seems like the system is powering on but not booting up. Is that correct OP?

Where did I say drivers would cause this problem? :hello:  I said, "so you thought your AMD card would work well with Nvidia drivers". Meaning your supposed to remove Nvidia drivers upon uninstall, this would cause driver conflicts.

It's apparent to me that computer IS booting up, just no display.
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2012 7:54:00 PM

Even if he had Nvidia drivers installed and installed an AMD card without uninstalling the Nvidia drivers all that would happen is a popup saying no Nvidia hardware could be found. The system would boot to desktop like it normally would using a standard VGA driver.

I have never seen anything other than what I described going back to Win98. Not to say it doesn't or hasn't happened. I have just never came across anything like that.

"This does not seem to be an issue of the monitor as it works with my older card(geforce 7600GS) plus the keyboard and mouse dont power up and sounds from windows etc cant be heard from the speakers. "

With no lights on the mouse and keyboard and sounds that aren't heard from the speakers I assumed the system would not boot. That is why I asked the OP for clarification.
September 25, 2012 8:00:16 PM

Yes althought the fans start spinning,etc the pc doesnt make the short "beep" sound when it starts, so it is pretty obvious it doesnt boot.
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2012 8:14:37 PM

i think your motherboard only supports pci-e 1.x
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2012 8:21:01 PM

Any way to test the card in a different motherboard?

I had a PCIE 1.0 X16 Asus AM2 board in and installed a 7750 in it with no issues. So unless it's an issue with that chipset I am not sure why it would not work.
September 25, 2012 8:30:15 PM

I will try to test it in a friends pc tomorrow and see I guess...
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 1:30:39 AM

ish416 said:
Even if he had Nvidia drivers installed and installed an AMD card without uninstalling the Nvidia drivers all that would happen is a popup saying no Nvidia hardware could be found. The system would boot to desktop like it normally would using a standard VGA driver.

OK........I never said anything different, I think you need to work on your reading comprehension skills. My point was you always uninstall previous drivers before installing a new card because even if it had started up and he had video, he could have had driver conflicts. I never said it would cause the issue he's talking about, I was just making a point.......sigh.....

As far as the beep, well I don't know, I haven't hooked up one of those speakers in 10yrs. I call them dummy dingers.

It seems to me the pc is booting, your mobo just doesn't like the card. Honestly it really doesn't make much sense to install a modern card in a motherboard that's practically ancient anyways.
September 26, 2012 9:29:08 AM

I was thinking of upgrading the whole pc but grabbed the monitor and graphics card earlier in order to be able to use them to play dota 2 which is not such a heavy game anyway.Now it seems that I have to speed up the rest of the changes.
September 26, 2012 11:05:30 AM

Hey one more thing I just noticed that AMD states as a requirement:
Minimum 4GB of system memory

My system has 2 GB of DDR2.Could this be the problem?
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 1:24:40 PM

Quote:
I said, "so you thought your AMD card would work well with Nvidia drivers". Meaning your supposed to remove Nvidia drivers upon uninstall, this would cause driver conflicts. It's apparent to me that computer IS booting up, just no display.

The computer was powering on but not responding. So who's reading comprehension skills should be in question here?

Quote:
I never said anything different, I think you need to work on your reading comprehension skills. My point was you always uninstall previous drivers before installing a new card because even if it had started up and he had video, he could have had driver conflicts. I never said it would cause the issue he's talking about, I was just making a point

Uninstalling the previous driver is always something you should do. However, as I mentioned. It does not cause the issues the OP was describing. If you said it just to make a point when you "knew" it wasn't the cause of the issue, then your point is moot.
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 1:58:08 PM

ish416 said:
Quote:
I said, "so you thought your AMD card would work well with Nvidia drivers". Meaning your supposed to remove Nvidia drivers upon uninstall, this would cause driver conflicts. It's apparent to me that computer IS booting up, just no display.

The computer was powering on but not responding. So who's reading comprehension skills should be in question here?

Quote:
I never said anything different, I think you need to work on your reading comprehension skills. My point was you always uninstall previous drivers before installing a new card because even if it had started up and he had video, he could have had driver conflicts. I never said it would cause the issue he's talking about, I was just making a point

Uninstalling the previous driver is always something you should do. However, as I mentioned. It does not cause the issues the OP was describing. If you said it just to make a point when you "knew" it wasn't the cause of the issue, then your point is moot.

He never said the computer wasn't responding, he said the lights and fans came on but he wasn't getting video. :hello: 

My "moot" point was to tell him that you don't do it that way, you uninstall, then re-install or you may have issues, regardless of if they are the current issue or another issue.

a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 3:15:25 PM

"This does not seem to be an issue of the monitor as it works with my older card(geforce 7600GS) plus the keyboard and mouse dont power up and sounds from windows etc cant be heard from the speakers."

Keyboard and mouse not lighting up is a good sign the system is not responding. Good try though.
September 26, 2012 11:32:38 PM

Tested in a friend's system in a PCIe 2.0 and works like a charm.
So it is either incompatibility of the PCIe or inefficiency of the PSU.
Btw the PSU is pretty damn old like at least 7 years.Could it be that it has lost its quality and cannot power up the system?
September 26, 2012 11:35:57 PM

Quote:
Hey one more thing I just noticed that AMD states as a requirement:
Minimum 4GB of system memory

My system has 2 GB of DDR2.Could this be the problem?

About this the site of AMD states 4 GB of system memory.Does this mean HDD space or RAM?
!