Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Nvidia driver on AMD's system

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 25, 2012 7:07:49 PM

Hello friends please guide me

Mobo= Intel DH55TC, Micro-ATX Form Factor, LGA1156 Socket Type, Dual Channel DIMM Memory, PCIe x16 Slots, Generation 1, 2.0.

Processor= Intel 3.06 GHz LGA 1156 Core i3-540.

RAM= two sticks, total 4 GB.

Monitor= LG2041 20 inches with 1600*900 resolution@75Hz.

GPU= HIS Radeon 6870 1 GB.

PSU= Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2UK 600 Watts.

I had an Nvidia GPU I removed it and installed Windows 7 formatting C drive three times then I used driver sweeper each time and it shows me Nvidia leftover in registry and different location of Windows. I removed them then install windows 7 again and after fresh install of Windows and my AMD GPU, I used driver sweeper, again those leftover of Nvidia were there. How is it possible??

Another question, If a game uses dx 9 and we have windows 7 with dx 11 installed then would there be any problem in game's graphics??
a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 25, 2012 7:14:07 PM

A clean install of Windows 7 will include the default drivers for both AMD/ATi and Nvidia graphic cards, this could be what you are seeing.
Score
September 25, 2012 7:43:04 PM

Thanks for the reply, but if I have already attached AMD gpu then still windows by default will install Nvidia drivers and physx?? wouldn't there be any conflict?? Actually in the games I have all beautiful graphics except anti alising. Doesn't matter whether I set it to highest anti alising settings or completely keep it of. I have 10 days if I want to return the gpu. Please tell me if it is a faulty gpu?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please.. :( 
Score
Related resources
September 25, 2012 7:46:38 PM

A 6870 isn't powerful enough to handle much AA in modern games. You are probably good to go :) 
Score
a c 196 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 25, 2012 7:55:13 PM

The Nvidia drivers really shouldn't be intrusive. If you can run games, it should be fine.

You can't use Physx on a Radeon card.
Score
September 25, 2012 7:58:16 PM

^^ PhysX runs just off the CPU which in a couple games really kills performance.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2012 7:59:02 PM

It's for physics I'm guessing because I have them on my system too.
Score
September 25, 2012 7:59:17 PM

Every building has ziz zag edge. I played this same game with gt 440 and it wasn't that bad as it is now, that is concerning.it is only 20 inch led monitor with 1600*900 resolution.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 25, 2012 8:01:15 PM

And some games will not run if they are PhysX enabled and you do not install the software, regardless of whether you can or want to use PhysX.
Score
September 25, 2012 8:08:03 PM

but Sniper Elite V2 and Battlefield Bad Company 2 Don't use physx and I am talking about these games. Physx has nothing to do with smoother edges. right?
Score
a c 196 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 25, 2012 8:14:12 PM

Nope.
Score
a c 547 U Graphics card
a c 86 Î Nvidia
September 25, 2012 8:30:24 PM

Shekhar5 said:
but Sniper Elite V2 and Battlefield Bad Company 2 Don't use physx and I am talking about these games. Physx has nothing to do with smoother edges. right?

Jagged edges can be reduced by enabling anti-aliasing but with a performance penalty to go along with it.
Score
September 25, 2012 8:37:34 PM

ko888 said:
Jagged edges can be reduced by enabling anti-aliasing.

That's what I am saying, Despite having highest anti alising settings enabled or keeping them completely of is not making any difference in graphic distortion. I just want to know that in any way a faulty gpu can be the cause for this??

I think it is all related to AMD thing otherwise when I had played this same game with Nvidia GT 440 1 GB there was no such problems. GT 440 is less powerful then HD 6870 but it was delivering same performance or you can say better than HD 6870. People have right doubt about AMD's performance.
Score
a c 547 U Graphics card
a c 86 Î Nvidia
September 25, 2012 9:13:12 PM

Can you post a GPU-Z image for your system?
Score
September 25, 2012 9:31:25 PM

ko888 said:
Can you post a GPU-Z image for your system?

Score
September 25, 2012 10:58:57 PM

ko888 said:
Are you only having anti-aliasing problems in certain games or all games?

Someone else also had an anti-aliasing problem with their Radeon HD 6870:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/349270-33-anti-aliasi...

Yes I have the exactly same problem(whatever AA settings I apply there is no improvement).The only difference is that I am playing Sniper Elite V2 and Battlefield Bad Company 2 not Skyrim. It means it is game specific?? Can upcoming drivers fix this problem?? Is not there any fix to permanently solve this issue?? btw thank you very much for taking time to help me. :) 
Score
September 25, 2012 11:51:48 PM

Can you post screenshots of what you believe is unsuccessfully applied AA?
Score
a c 547 U Graphics card
a c 86 Î Nvidia
September 26, 2012 12:07:00 AM

Shekhar5 said:
Yes I have the exactly same problem(whatever AA settings I apply there is no improvement).The only difference is that I am playing Sniper Elite V2 and Battlefield Bad Company 2 not Skyrim. It means it is game specific?? Can upcoming drivers fix this problem?? Is not there any fix to permanently solve this issue?? btw thank you very much for taking time to help me. :) 

Sniper Elite V2 and BFBC2 are both DX11 games and as noted in the other thread they weren't able to force AA on DX11 games.
Score
September 26, 2012 8:01:35 AM

BigMack70 said:
Can you post screenshots of what you believe is unsuccessfully applied AA?

When I move these look more weird. I should have bought Nvidia.

Score
September 26, 2012 8:59:07 AM

What are your AA settings in-game and what is your AA setting in Catalyst Control Center?
Score
September 26, 2012 9:17:40 AM

LOL dude what you are seeing is shimmering.It always happens in thin lines in games.Like fense,lamp post.FxAA along with msaa fixes it somewhat.You can't really reduce it unless you apply crazy 8xAA which will kill performance.
Score
September 26, 2012 9:18:35 AM

cooldudesubho said:
LOL dude what you are seeing is shimmering.It always happens in thin lines in games.Like fense,lamp post.FxAA along with msaa fixes it somewhat.You can't really reduce it unless you apply crazy 8xAA which will kill performance.

This is what I'm thinking as well. Your GPU is not powerful enough to get rid of those "jaggies" because the AA methods needed are super crazy demanding.
Score
September 26, 2012 9:32:28 AM

This means it is normal thing as par my GPU capabilities?? If it is, then fine, I am done. I was thinking one month ago that if I can play these games with gt 440(I had this one) then what a HD 6870 can do, but.... :( 

Thanks friends, you were more than helpful.
Score
September 26, 2012 11:09:56 AM

You could try forcing MLAA through the CCC and see if that works/helps
Score
a c 84 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 26, 2012 3:01:24 PM

regardless of resulting performance you should at least be able to turn AA on in the game...

1. Are the AA and AF settings in CCC set as 'use application settings' or have you tried to force them on in the CCC
2. Are there in-game settings for AA and AF?

I'm asking these because while I havent played these exact games, at least in Skyrim the forced AA settings in CCC didnt do anything, only the game launcher settings worked...
Score
September 26, 2012 3:30:29 PM

Kari said:
regardless of resulting performance you should at least be able to turn AA on in the game...

1. Are the AA and AF settings in CCC set as 'use application settings' or have you tried to force them on in the CCC
2. Are there in-game settings for AA and AF?

I'm asking these because while I havent played these exact games, at least in Skyrim the forced AA settings in CCC didnt do anything, only the game launcher settings worked...

1. I did not alter any setting from CCC,in CCC AA and AF both are set to "use application setting".Having deault settings in CCC I set "ULTRA" from within the game, which set AF to 16 times and AA to "HIGH". But distortion was still there. Then......

2.I set AA in CCC to 8 times, AF in CCC to 16 times and rest of CCC settings to their highest value,but still not improvement, I am providing screenshots for what I did. First two screenshots are changed settings of CCC with "ULTRA" setting in game. Second two screenshots are default settings of CCC with "ULTRA" settings of game. In both condition no improvement.

I talked to the customer care from where I purchased this GPU and he asked me lots of details about this problem and told me that after consulting their technical team he will tell me in 24 hours. He told me that they will try to solve it and if they find that GPU is faulty then they will replace it.

Friends what should I do?? Should I RMA this card?? Can such problem be the ground on which I should seek RMA. If they try to spoof me, I must know these things. :sweat: 

Score
September 26, 2012 3:56:49 PM

There's nothing wrong with your card such that you can RMA.
Score

Best solution

a c 547 U Graphics card
a c 86 Î Nvidia
September 26, 2012 11:42:36 PM

I wouldn't consider the card and its driver to be working either since you can't get rid of those aliasing artifacts in Sniper Elite V2.

I use an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores graphics card and I have to disable AA in both the Sniper Elite V2 game settings and the NVIDIA Control Panel to be able to see the aliasing artifacts that you are seeing. I just have to enable Antialiasing - FXAA in the NVIDIA Control Panel and the jagged edges are gone.

Whether or not you can return the card for a different one is dependent on the vendor from whom you purchased it. Tell them you're not satisfied with the purchase and you want a different graphics card.

You said your previous GeForce GT 440 didn't suffer from this.

Maybe it's the AMD graphics card driver that is buggy. I wouldn't consider this problem acceptable.
a c 84 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 27, 2012 12:20:25 AM

well if it is a game specific bug in the drivers they might fix it eventually...
Score
September 27, 2012 3:45:03 AM

Kari said:
well if it is a game specific bug in the drivers they might fix it eventually...

Its been already 5 months since Sniper Elite V2 is released. What AMD can achieve releasing a fix after 5 months?? Recently I saw them releasing a fix for Crysis Warhead. :pfff: 

Everone wants to play the game as soon as it comes out but AMD fixes its driver bugs after six months or may be not.
Score
September 27, 2012 4:56:42 AM

At ultra settings GPU usage is 78% and memory usage is 800 MB, maximum temp is 58 degree Cel. We can see that the game is not using full VRAM. So it means that it is not the case of less amount of RAM to eliminate those "ziggys". While playing if we get 100 FPS in a game and after applying highest graphic settings including AA, MSAA and AF then if FPS drops to 40 or 50 then those distortion must be gone.
Score
a c 547 U Graphics card
a c 86 Î Nvidia
September 27, 2012 5:54:13 PM

Shekhar5 said:
At ultra settings GPU usage is 78% and memory usage is 800 MB, maximum temp is 58 degree Cel. We can see that the game is not using full VRAM. So it means that it is not the case of less amount of RAM to eliminate those "ziggys". While playing if we get 100 FPS in a game and after applying highest graphic settings including AA, MSAA and AF then if FPS drops to 40 or 50 then those distortion must be gone.

All it means is that it's going through the AA code path but that doesn't mean that the results are correct.

Report the problem to AMD: http://www.amd.com/report

If no one reports the problem it'll never get fixed.
Score
September 29, 2012 3:57:43 AM

Best answer selected by Shekhar5.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 29, 2012 8:30:12 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!