Disturbing: "Hard Error". Anyone seen it before?

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I bumped (barely) my pc case & then an error popped up on my screen. It said "Hard error (Unknown)". Immedialtely following the bump, I heard 1(?) of my SCSI disks re-spin (like they do at boot). Here's the weird part. If I tap my case 3 times, I get 3 pop-ups of the same error. 4 bumps = 4 pop-ups, etc etc. Nothing shows in event viewer.

When I reboot, I lose my boot disk (id 0), & I only see disks 1 & 2. Ofcourse Win2K won't load now. To get disk ID 0 "back", I must unplug/replug the cables to it. Then, it shows in the boot scan & all is well. I checked the cables before unplugging/replugging them, & both power & data cables looked properly seated. All drives passed the "verify drive integrity" tests within the SCSI adapter BIOS utility.

Here's pertinent info:
SCSI Disk ID 0 = Atlas 10KII 9GB
SCSI Disk ID 1 = Atlas 10KII 18GB (Win2K software RAID 0)
SCSI Disk ID 2 = Atlas 10KII 18GB (Win2K software RAID 0)
Adaptec 29160
2 IDE Optical Drives

I have no clue what may be causing this. Anyone seen this before or have any suggestions? I am starting to worry :(

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

If you loan a friend $20 & never see them again, it was worth it.

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I have never seen this before, but if you mess with the cables and the problem goes away temporarily, then replace the cable for a better cable. I know that twisted pair cables are usually the best cables you can get, but run about $100US.

For troubleshooting I would dis-connect any other hard drive connected and make one of the Atlas 10K II boot drives the only hard drive. Remove the jumpers to make sure that it can't be the ID's being screwy (it will ID as 0). Other then that if the same problem arises replace the cable and make sure it's terminated properly or that the terminator is good.

<font color=red>1GHz AMD x MSI K7T-Turbo x 512MB PC133 x 2-Maxtor 30GB/RAID 0 = Stream Line Butterfly</font color=red>