Antagonists and Ghost Stories, anyone read them?

Last response: in Video Games
December 3, 2004 3:37:32 PM

Hey I'm trying to make my x-mas list and I saw Antagonists and Ghost
Stories both at the book store and I was wondering if anyone's read them
yet? I want to know how useful they'd be for a Vampire chronicle, not
just a World of Darkness chronicle. Thanks in advance for any reviews.
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 12:49:08 AM

Jinx D. Jeztor wrote:

> Hey I'm trying to make my x-mas list and I saw Antagonists and Ghost
> Stories both at the book store and I was wondering if anyone's read them
> yet? I want to know how useful they'd be for a Vampire chronicle, not
> just a World of Darkness chronicle. Thanks in advance for any reviews.

Just got my copies today. Sorry.

Antagonists would be useful if you're interested in zombies, monster
hunters, cults, or weird creatures, since that's what it's about. Ghost
Stories would only be useful if you want your vampires to run through
one or more of five pre-written scenarios revolving around ghosts.
--
Stephenls
Geek

Stephenls <stephenls@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:<31d1edF38q5naU1@individual.net>...
> Jinx D. Jeztor wrote:
>
> > Hey I'm trying to make my x-mas list and I saw Antagonists and Ghost
> > Stories both at the book store and I was wondering if anyone's read them
> > yet? I want to know how useful they'd be for a Vampire chronicle, not
> > just a World of Darkness chronicle. Thanks in advance for any reviews.
>
> Just got my copies today. Sorry.
>
> Antagonists would be useful if you're interested in zombies, monster
> hunters, cults, or weird creatures, since that's what it's about. Ghost
> Stories would only be useful if you want your vampires to run through
> one or more of five pre-written scenarios revolving around ghosts.

Ah, thanks.

Jinx (posting through google because for some reason my normal
newsreader isn't working)
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 6:52:33 AM

Antagonists would be useful if you're interested in zombies, monster
hunters, cults, or weird creatures, since that's what it's about. Ghost
Stories would only be useful if you want your vampires to run through
one or more of five pre-written scenarios revolving around ghosts.
--
Stephenls
Geek

-----
note that as a new storygamer myself, i bought ghost stories and am looking
forward to receiving it this week (from rpg-shop online store). will let you
know what i think. i wanted to get antagonists too but I felt that ghost
would help me with storylines...it doesn';t mean you have to follow those
pre-written plots it can be very helpful as a guide for other chronicles.

regards,

tom m.
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 6:52:34 AM

FanDome123 wrote:

> note that as a new storygamer myself, i bought ghost stories and am looking
> forward to receiving it this week (from rpg-shop online store). will let you
> know what i think. i wanted to get antagonists too but I felt that ghost
> would help me with storylines...it doesn';t mean you have to follow those
> pre-written plots it can be very helpful as a guide for other chronicles.

This could be a good use for it -- it's can be useful to look at
existing scenarios to see how they get written and what they should look
like. And, of course, nothing stops you from using them as written as well.

That said, Antagonists is looking pretty good. I haven't really delved
into it yet -- I started on Fair Folk but then got distracted by
Coteries, and figure I will switch over to Antagonists once I've
finished off the first Coteries chapter -- but it looks damn useful.
The last chapter more of a Monster Manual than a toolkit, but the first
three are much more frank discussions of how to make things work in games.

Actually, from my initial impressions, it looks like Antagonists is
pretty much what's needed to round out the info in the World of Darkness
corebook.
--
Stephenls
Geek
"I'm as impure as the driven yellow snow." -Spike
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 12:08:07 PM

<<<<> note that as a new storygamer myself, i bought ghost stories and am
looking
> forward to receiving it this week (from rpg-shop online store). will let you
> know what i think. i wanted to get antagonists too but I felt that ghost
> would help me with storylines...it doesn';t mean you have to follow those
> pre-written plots it can be very helpful as a guide for other chronicles.

This could be a good use for it -- it's can be useful to look at
existing scenarios to see how they get written and what they should look
like. And, of course, nothing stops you from using them as written as well.

That said, Antagonists is looking pretty good. I haven't really delved
into it yet -- I started on Fair Folk but then got distracted by
Coteries, and figure I will switch over to Antagonists once I've
finished off the first Coteries chapter -- but it looks damn useful.
The last chapter more of a Monster Manual than a toolkit, but the first
three are much more frank discussions of how to make things work in games.

....>>>>

I just received Ghost Stories and am glad to say it was a worthy purchase. It
really can help a newbie like myself and discusses what the GM should expose to
the players and what he/she should hold back. The stories are good but the
explainations on how to present them to the players are even better. There is
one very gruesome story (Magnus) but I can already create some useful threads
from it for a different chronicle if i wish.

I look forward to picking up Antagonists once I get some more spending $$.

Tom M.
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 12:08:08 PM

FanDome123 wrote:

> I look forward to picking up Antagonists once I get some more spending $$.

I have an almost-review of Antagonists here:

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=161934

The discussion that follows has more thoughts as I develop my opinions
and bounce ideas off other posters' foreheads.

I also have an almost-review of Coteries, here:

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=161665

The thread that follows is somewhat shorter.

People seem to like both of them, and by "people" I include Matt
McFarland, who developed Antagonists.
--
!