Antagonists and Ghost Stories, anyone read them?

Hey I'm trying to make my x-mas list and I saw Antagonists and Ghost
Stories both at the book store and I was wondering if anyone's read them
yet? I want to know how useful they'd be for a Vampire chronicle, not
just a World of Darkness chronicle. Thanks in advance for any reviews.
6 answers Last reply
More about antagonists ghost stories read them
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    Jinx D. Jeztor wrote:

    > Hey I'm trying to make my x-mas list and I saw Antagonists and Ghost
    > Stories both at the book store and I was wondering if anyone's read them
    > yet? I want to know how useful they'd be for a Vampire chronicle, not
    > just a World of Darkness chronicle. Thanks in advance for any reviews.

    Just got my copies today. Sorry.

    Antagonists would be useful if you're interested in zombies, monster
    hunters, cults, or weird creatures, since that's what it's about. Ghost
    Stories would only be useful if you want your vampires to run through
    one or more of five pre-written scenarios revolving around ghosts.
    --
    Stephenls
    Geek

    Stephenls <stephenls@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:<31d1edF38q5naU1@individual.net>...
    > Jinx D. Jeztor wrote:
    >
    > > Hey I'm trying to make my x-mas list and I saw Antagonists and Ghost
    > > Stories both at the book store and I was wondering if anyone's read them
    > > yet? I want to know how useful they'd be for a Vampire chronicle, not
    > > just a World of Darkness chronicle. Thanks in advance for any reviews.
    >
    > Just got my copies today. Sorry.
    >
    > Antagonists would be useful if you're interested in zombies, monster
    > hunters, cults, or weird creatures, since that's what it's about. Ghost
    > Stories would only be useful if you want your vampires to run through
    > one or more of five pre-written scenarios revolving around ghosts.

    Ah, thanks.

    Jinx (posting through google because for some reason my normal
    newsreader isn't working)
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    Antagonists would be useful if you're interested in zombies, monster
    hunters, cults, or weird creatures, since that's what it's about. Ghost
    Stories would only be useful if you want your vampires to run through
    one or more of five pre-written scenarios revolving around ghosts.
    --
    Stephenls
    Geek

    -----
    note that as a new storygamer myself, i bought ghost stories and am looking
    forward to receiving it this week (from rpg-shop online store). will let you
    know what i think. i wanted to get antagonists too but I felt that ghost
    would help me with storylines...it doesn';t mean you have to follow those
    pre-written plots it can be very helpful as a guide for other chronicles.

    regards,

    tom m.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    FanDome123 wrote:

    > note that as a new storygamer myself, i bought ghost stories and am looking
    > forward to receiving it this week (from rpg-shop online store). will let you
    > know what i think. i wanted to get antagonists too but I felt that ghost
    > would help me with storylines...it doesn';t mean you have to follow those
    > pre-written plots it can be very helpful as a guide for other chronicles.

    This could be a good use for it -- it's can be useful to look at
    existing scenarios to see how they get written and what they should look
    like. And, of course, nothing stops you from using them as written as well.

    That said, Antagonists is looking pretty good. I haven't really delved
    into it yet -- I started on Fair Folk but then got distracted by
    Coteries, and figure I will switch over to Antagonists once I've
    finished off the first Coteries chapter -- but it looks damn useful.
    The last chapter more of a Monster Manual than a toolkit, but the first
    three are much more frank discussions of how to make things work in games.

    Actually, from my initial impressions, it looks like Antagonists is
    pretty much what's needed to round out the info in the World of Darkness
    corebook.
    --
    Stephenls
    Geek
    "I'm as impure as the driven yellow snow." -Spike
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    <<<<> note that as a new storygamer myself, i bought ghost stories and am
    looking
    > forward to receiving it this week (from rpg-shop online store). will let you
    > know what i think. i wanted to get antagonists too but I felt that ghost
    > would help me with storylines...it doesn';t mean you have to follow those
    > pre-written plots it can be very helpful as a guide for other chronicles.

    This could be a good use for it -- it's can be useful to look at
    existing scenarios to see how they get written and what they should look
    like. And, of course, nothing stops you from using them as written as well.

    That said, Antagonists is looking pretty good. I haven't really delved
    into it yet -- I started on Fair Folk but then got distracted by
    Coteries, and figure I will switch over to Antagonists once I've
    finished off the first Coteries chapter -- but it looks damn useful.
    The last chapter more of a Monster Manual than a toolkit, but the first
    three are much more frank discussions of how to make things work in games.

    ....>>>>

    I just received Ghost Stories and am glad to say it was a worthy purchase. It
    really can help a newbie like myself and discusses what the GM should expose to
    the players and what he/she should hold back. The stories are good but the
    explainations on how to present them to the players are even better. There is
    one very gruesome story (Magnus) but I can already create some useful threads
    from it for a different chronicle if i wish.

    I look forward to picking up Antagonists once I get some more spending $$.

    Tom M.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    FanDome123 wrote:

    > I look forward to picking up Antagonists once I get some more spending $$.

    I have an almost-review of Antagonists here:

    http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=161934

    The discussion that follows has more thoughts as I develop my opinions
    and bounce ideas off other posters' foreheads.

    I also have an almost-review of Coteries, here:

    http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=161665

    The thread that follows is somewhat shorter.

    People seem to like both of them, and by "people" I include Matt
    McFarland, who developed Antagonists.
    --
    Stephenls
    Geek
    "I'm as impure as the driven yellow snow." -Spike

Games Video Games