Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Problems with AMD Radeon HD 7770

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 26, 2012 2:35:10 AM

Hi there, I've had continuous issues with my Video card since getting it. The card I have is http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/diamond-diamond-..., I replaced a Zotac GeForce 9600GT.

Since Switching cards, I have been unable to play any of the games I currently play for extended periods of time (SWTOR, WoW, DDO, Skyrim, and a few others) I can play for a while but then I get a Display Driver has stopped responding and recovered message. I used to get a similar problem with my Geforce, however my games like say wow, would go black for a moment and then fix it's self with this card It makes the program go unresponsive or even freezes my entire pc.

I'm more of a mid level computer knowledge guy so I asked some friends, they suggested my Power supply was not strong enough to handle it, so I went from a 500 watt to an 850. I got longer gameplay, however the crashes still happen, and once they started up again they became very frequent again. I have tried it both on default settings in the AMD Vision control center (which overclocks it I believe) and with the AMD overdrive turned off, I get crashes either way.

I monitored it's temp using the overdrive display in AMD vision, it sat around 55 Celsius playing WoW on ultra settings, I turned up the Fan speed as well, in case it was a heat problem (I had become fed up and was about to put my old card back in but I noticed it was pretty hot when I was going to take it out, thought it might be a heat issue)

Any help is appreciated, My PC has

Windows 7 64 bit
6 gigs ram DDR3
AMD Phenom II black edition
Asus M4A78T-E Mobo
and of course the AMD Radeon HD 7770 linked above.
September 26, 2012 2:45:22 AM

Well, what power supply did you buy? And its definitely not a heat problem.
m
l
Related resources
September 26, 2012 3:21:17 AM

I am glad you ordered a nice power supply, but that is very overkill for a 7770. You could probably run like 6 7770's off of that thing.

Nevertheless in the long run it is going to be a very good choice of power supply.
m
l
September 26, 2012 3:25:23 AM

I was aiming for crossfire eventually, plus almost everything on my case uses power (led's and the such) If it's not heat or power what could be the issue? I know alot of people say uninstall drivers and reinstall, or make sure they are up to date. I installed on a fresh hard drive (My old one was 160 gig and was a good number of years old) so it was a fresh install of everything, and my drivers are at AMD Catalyst 12.8

Also I have tried it in more than one of my PCI-e slots (When it was in the lower one was when it was rather hot, I assume this is because it is near the bottom of my case and not as open as the top slot)

One of the few thinks I could think of off the top of my head is maybe a faulty card, but I do get around an 45-60 mins of WoW time, atleast before it started crashing often again.
m
l
September 26, 2012 3:35:15 AM

It could be a memory issue actually. I had this issue with my card (HD 6950) and it turned out to be a bad stick of memory. Try a memtest.

m
l
September 26, 2012 3:41:07 AM

Mem test was what I did before purchasing the new power supply, a separate tech savvy friend recommended it to me. Claimed it had found no errors.

I burnt a bootable version from here http://www.memtest.org/
m
l

Best solution

September 27, 2012 2:30:57 AM

I was having tons of problems and just came across what seems to be a fix for me. I opened up Catalyst Control Center, then Performance --> AMD OverDrive. I checked the Enable Graphics OverDrive box and then I bumped up the Power control settings to 10%. I cranked all of my video settings back up in my games and didn't have any problems for a good two hours. Before, I was crashing at least every five minutes with settings cranked up.

Hope that helps.
September 27, 2012 4:43:06 AM

cswartz04 said:
I was having tons of problems and just came across what seems to be a fix for me. I opened up Catalyst Control Center, then Performance --> AMD OverDrive. I checked the Enable Graphics OverDrive box and then I bumped up the Power control settings to 10%. I cranked all of my video settings back up in my games and didn't have any problems for a good two hours. Before, I was crashing at least every five minutes with settings cranked up.

Hope that helps.

Yeah I cranked my fan speed to 100%, upped the power, and reduced the overclock a bit, haven't had a crash for the last day!
m
l
September 27, 2012 4:43:09 AM

Best answer selected by DBHAMitch.
m
l
September 27, 2012 10:50:41 PM

Hi guys, I'm working for Diamond Multimedia. There is a bios fixed for our HD7770-1G DD Edition due to AMD drivers related. Please contact our tech support line at (818)357-5165 for further assistant with bios update. Thanks!

BEst Regards,
DMM Tech Support
m
l
!