Solved

Problems with AMD Radeon HD 7770

Hi there, I've had continuous issues with my Video card since getting it. The card I have is http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/diamond-diamond-amd-radeon-hd-7770-1gb-gddr5-double-black-diamond-oc-edition-pci-e-video-card-7770pe51gdd/10203175.aspx, I replaced a Zotac GeForce 9600GT.

Since Switching cards, I have been unable to play any of the games I currently play for extended periods of time (SWTOR, WoW, DDO, Skyrim, and a few others) I can play for a while but then I get a Display Driver has stopped responding and recovered message. I used to get a similar problem with my Geforce, however my games like say wow, would go black for a moment and then fix it's self with this card It makes the program go unresponsive or even freezes my entire pc.

I'm more of a mid level computer knowledge guy so I asked some friends, they suggested my Power supply was not strong enough to handle it, so I went from a 500 watt to an 850. I got longer gameplay, however the crashes still happen, and once they started up again they became very frequent again. I have tried it both on default settings in the AMD Vision control center (which overclocks it I believe) and with the AMD overdrive turned off, I get crashes either way.

I monitored it's temp using the overdrive display in AMD vision, it sat around 55 Celsius playing WoW on ultra settings, I turned up the Fan speed as well, in case it was a heat problem (I had become fed up and was about to put my old card back in but I noticed it was pretty hot when I was going to take it out, thought it might be a heat issue)

Any help is appreciated, My PC has

Windows 7 64 bit
6 gigs ram DDR3
AMD Phenom II black edition
Asus M4A78T-E Mobo
and of course the AMD Radeon HD 7770 linked above.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about problems radeon 7770
  1. Well, what power supply did you buy? And its definitely not a heat problem.
  2. http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6391018&CatId=2534 is the exact power supply I ordered (same site I ordered from as well)
  3. I am glad you ordered a nice power supply, but that is very overkill for a 7770. You could probably run like 6 7770's off of that thing.

Nevertheless in the long run it is going to be a very good choice of power supply.
  4. I was aiming for crossfire eventually, plus almost everything on my case uses power (led's and the such) If it's not heat or power what could be the issue? I know alot of people say uninstall drivers and reinstall, or make sure they are up to date. I installed on a fresh hard drive (My old one was 160 gig and was a good number of years old) so it was a fresh install of everything, and my drivers are at AMD Catalyst 12.8

Also I have tried it in more than one of my PCI-e slots (When it was in the lower one was when it was rather hot, I assume this is because it is near the bottom of my case and not as open as the top slot)

One of the few thinks I could think of off the top of my head is maybe a faulty card, but I do get around an 45-60 mins of WoW time, atleast before it started crashing often again.
  5. It could be a memory issue actually. I had this issue with my card (HD 6950) and it turned out to be a bad stick of memory. Try a memtest.
  6. Mem test was what I did before purchasing the new power supply, a separate tech savvy friend recommended it to me. Claimed it had found no errors.

I burnt a bootable version from here http://www.memtest.org/
  7. Best answer
    I was having tons of problems and just came across what seems to be a fix for me. I opened up Catalyst Control Center, then Performance --> AMD OverDrive. I checked the Enable Graphics OverDrive box and then I bumped up the Power control settings to 10%. I cranked all of my video settings back up in my games and didn't have any problems for a good two hours. Before, I was crashing at least every five minutes with settings cranked up.

Hope that helps.
  8. cswartz04 said:
    I was having tons of problems and just came across what seems to be a fix for me. I opened up Catalyst Control Center, then Performance --> AMD OverDrive. I checked the Enable Graphics OverDrive box and then I bumped up the Power control settings to 10%. I cranked all of my video settings back up in my games and didn't have any problems for a good two hours. Before, I was crashing at least every five minutes with settings cranked up.

Hope that helps.

Yeah I cranked my fan speed to 100%, upped the power, and reduced the overclock a bit, haven't had a crash for the last day!
  9. Best answer selected by DBHAMitch.
  10. Hi guys, I'm working for Diamond Multimedia. There is a bios fixed for our HD7770-1G DD Edition due to AMD drivers related. Please contact our tech support line at (818)357-5165 for further assistant with bios update. Thanks!

BEst Regards,
    DMM Tech Support
Ask a new question

Read More

Diamond Multimedia World Of Warcraft Graphics