Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

PSU for new rig

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 21, 2012 3:08:39 PM

Hello all I'm building myself a new gaming rig and I'm not entirely sure what psu to get. Using this website http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine it suggests that my rigs recommended psu should be 378w so i was thinking of getting a 430w this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Builder-Series-Bronze-S...).

The comp will be this
Case - SilverStone SST-PS06B (all fans)
MoBo - Gigabyte SKT-1155 Z77X-D3H
Ram - G.Skill 2x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory
Gpu - Asus GeForce GTX660 TI-DC2-2GD5
Sound Card- Creative Sound Blaster Z Gaming Sound Card
HDD - Seagate ST1000DM003 3.5 inch 1TB Barracuda Hard Drive
SSD - OCZ VTX3-25SAT3-120G 120GB Vertex 3 SATA III Internal 2.5 Inch SSD
CPU - Intel 3rd Generation Core i7-3770K CPU
Opti drive - bog standard dell (in current pc)

So yeah I'm just making sure whether that psu will be good enough or if I would need a more powerful one? Oh I'm also in the UK if that makes any difference, I do remember someone saying that before but not sure if it really does

More about : psu rig

November 21, 2012 4:13:39 PM

Seasonic 620W would be good.
November 21, 2012 4:15:32 PM

Yeah but is there any actual need for it? Nvidia suggests that i only need a 450w and they usually go way over what you actually need.
Related resources
November 21, 2012 6:17:36 PM

ultrametroid said:
Yeah but is there any actual need for it? Nvidia suggests that i only need a 450w and they usually go way over what you actually need.

While the 430W Corsair would probably work, I would still prefer to have the extra headroom provided by a 600-650 watt unit by Corsair, Seasonic, PCP&C, XFX, or Enermax, should you ever want (or need) to upgrade.
November 21, 2012 6:23:45 PM

hmm ok well I also dont want a massive psu for my electricity bill too, one thing I have discovered though is that this psu only has 1 pcie x6 connector. I have a molex to pcie converter but that will leave me with only 1 molex free how many molexs would I need for this build?
November 21, 2012 6:31:55 PM

clarkjd said:
While the 430W Corsair would probably work, I would still prefer to have the extra headroom provided by a 600-650 watt unit by Corsair, Seasonic, PCP&C, XFX, or Enermax, should you ever want (or need) to upgrade.


No, I have been discovering things about the CX430 that make it a terrible PSU choice. It doesn't work with large video cards (discovered this last night) and it has an incredibly difficult time with Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge builds (discovered this a few weeks ago). Go with the Seasonic S12 II 430W - much better choice: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It's always better to have more than the minimum wattage and a lot of newer people here don't quite seem to grasp that concept. The power supply draws the power it needs when it needs it. Having more wattage than needed doesn't hurt your PC or your electric bills. However, having too few watts - or having a power supply of incredibly poor build quality - can and will hurt your PC. The Corsair TX 650 is another good choice: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Alternately try the PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
November 21, 2012 6:31:59 PM

Your psu, if efficient, will only use what your system demands - a 650W Gold psu will be more energy efficient than a 430 bronze.
-Bruce
November 21, 2012 6:33:50 PM

ultrametroid said:
hmm ok well I also dont want a massive psu for my electricity bill too, one thing I have discovered though is that this psu only has 1 pcie x6 connector. I have a molex to pcie converter but that will leave me with only 1 molex free how many molexs would I need for this build?

Just because you have a 750 watt PSU doesn't mean that you will use more power that a 430 watt PSU. A PSU will only supply as much power as the PC will actually use, up to the max. Also, a PSU is generally more efficient when run at 50% capacity.
November 21, 2012 7:39:22 PM

g-unit1111 said:
No, I have been discovering things about the CX430 that make it a terrible PSU choice. It doesn't work with large video cards (discovered this last night) and it has an incredibly difficult time with Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge builds (discovered this a few weeks ago). Go with the Seasonic S12 II 430W - much better choice: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It's always better to have more than the minimum wattage and a lot of newer people here don't quite seem to grasp that concept. The power supply draws the power it needs when it needs it. Having more wattage than needed doesn't hurt your PC or your electric bills. However, having too few watts - or having a power supply of incredibly poor build quality - can and will hurt your PC. The Corsair TX 650 is another good choice: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Alternately try the PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Oh really thanks for the info, I didn't realise that psu's only used what they need. I just thought 600 watt psu was going to give me a 600 watt psu electricity bill. As thats not the case time to find me a bigger psu thanks for all the info and help guys, now things are starting to make sense. For instance all these people having massive psu's for no reason other than to create a large electric bill.

Thanks again all
November 21, 2012 8:05:15 PM

for some reason it wont let me edit previous message so will have to make this new one.

Can someone help me find a psu I'll need it to be 500w+, bronze certified and I'd like protective sleeves on the wires but not necessary for under £55 ($70).
November 21, 2012 8:44:16 PM

ultrametroid said:
Oh really thanks for the info, I didn't realise that psu's only used what they need. I just thought 600 watt psu was going to give me a 600 watt psu electricity bill. As thats not the case time to find me a bigger psu thanks for all the info and help guys, now things are starting to make sense. For instance all these people having massive psu's for no reason other than to create a large electric bill.

Thanks again all


No - the stated wattage means that it can draw up to a maximum amount of say, 600W on full use. Normal uses - it maybe uses about 351W, while on idle it uses about 150W. Think of it like turning on or turning off various features on your car.

Quote:
Can someone help me find a psu I'll need it to be 500w+, bronze certified and I'd like protective sleeves on the wires but not necessary for under £55 ($70).


Probably something like this: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/520w-seasonic-bronze-s12...
November 21, 2012 10:36:26 PM

ultrametroid said:
hmm not too bad I've found another myself which is the 500w of the 430w i was looking at. Linked below, has anyone got issues with the Corsair 500W CX Builder?

http://www.ebuyer.com/278634-corsair-500w-cx-v2-psu-cmp...


I haven't heard of any issues with the CX500 but I'm stating my own issues with the CX430 - if that's any indication I would maybe get the Seasonic instead. They're better constructed power supplies.
November 22, 2012 10:06:49 PM

hmm well I would like to go for the seasonic but unfortunately scan also have a very large p&p price making the item £65 which is too much for me personally so i will probably get the cx500 if I cant find the seasonic somewhere else.
!