Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade suggestion

Last response: in Systems
November 21, 2012 3:10:47 PM

Hi,

I am posting this thread here as i need some help with my new upgrade choice.

AMD Setup:

Gigabyte AM3+ 990FXA-UD5 - 159Eruos

AMD AM3 Piledriver FX-8350 for 200Euros

Corsair H70 - 79 Euros

TOTAL = 438 Euros

Intel Setup:

Asrock Extreme 4 Z77 - 144 Euros

Intel Core i5 3570K - 209 Euros

Corsair H70 - 76 Euros

TOTAL = 429 Euros

Bear in mind that i already have the following components in which to use with the new setup:

Thermaltake M5 Mid-Tower Case
Thermaltake 800W Toughpower PSU
2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz RAM
6 x SATA2/3 HDD's
1 x Optical SATA Drive.
EVGA Nvidia GTX550Ti 1GB VGA Card

N.B: The new setups can both be bought locally from my country, Malta. Therefore i wont have any problems with warranty/RMA etc etc.

Which setup should i go for?
AMD or Intel?

Thank You.

More about : upgrade suggestion

a b B Homebuilt system
November 21, 2012 6:04:05 PM

I would go with the Intel setup but change the motherboard to an asus or a gigabyte board if possible. And which ever system you decide make sure you get the intel corsair H70 since it's 3 Euros cheaper lol.
You'll get what you pay for and the intel's are WAY out in front with performance and price right now.
a b B Homebuilt system
November 21, 2012 6:25:09 PM

maybe go with a hyper 212 since it gives similar performance for cheaper
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
November 21, 2012 6:33:20 PM

There's nothing wrong with the ASRock if it's a good deal for you price wise. Absolutely love mine and have had Gigabyte, Asus, and MSI over the years.

Also recommend getting an Evo or other air cooler over a water loop unless you pay big money for one.
November 21, 2012 7:32:04 PM

whats wrong with the Asrock mobo suteck? i've had loads of ASUS boards in the past but the two recent ones i had were an X58 ROG and a P6T and both of them broke after 9 months. I've had two AsRock ones since then.
a b B Homebuilt system
November 21, 2012 9:09:26 PM

I have had a couple in the past and I only got l little over a years use from them. I heard the new boards when the 2nd generation intel chip boards came out were now "quality enthusiasts boards". So when I built one for a friend with the i5 2500K, 8 gigs of ram and so on I thought I'd try again with the good prices and all, but again, disappointment. There seems to be a problem with the boards not wanting to turn on. I thought maybe it was the Thermaltake Armor case so I looked up things on the internet and found, sadly, it turns out to be a problem with that particular asrock motherboard. So I bought an Asus board and replaced it and so far have not had any issues. You notice I didn't trash the asrock brand? Maybe I just have bad luck with them so I don't recommend them when asked and I will never use them again. That's my sob story and the reason behind my firm belief they're not to be used. Hope it helps.

And why have you had 2 asrock boards since then? Just new builds and upgrades or did you have problems with them? How long did you have each before you changed it out? Was it over a year, two? lol Just asking
November 22, 2012 7:39:31 AM

I had 2 builds... i had a problem with one of them but that was after 2 years of serious use and overclocking. Hmmmm i'm thinking of going gigabyte or even ASUS again.
!