Battlefield 2 choppy in some map areas?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.ea.battlefield,alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

I bought BF2 and played both single player and multiplayer briefly. So far, one map seems to
lag for me. Strike at Karkand map seems to be very choppy in the center city (open area). Even
staring at a wall was choppy!

I had to put terrain to low and lighting to medium. Every thing was high and at 1152x864 (75
hz). This is with an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) with Catalyst driver v5.2 (not upgrading
the driver due to MMC issues with audio), Athlon 64 3200+, 1 GB of RAM, XP Professional SP2
(all updates), etc.

Anyone else have this problem? Thank you in advance. :)
--
"Is this stuff any good for ants?" "No, it kills them." --unknown
/\___/\
| |o o| | and http://aqfl.net (Ant's Quality Foraged Links/AQFL)
( )

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

<ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message

> I had to put terrain to low and lighting to medium. Every thing was high
> and at 1152x864 (75
> hz). This is with an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) with Catalyst driver
> v5.2 (not upgrading
> the driver due to MMC issues with audio), Athlon 64 3200+, 1 GB of RAM, XP
> Professional SP2
> (all updates), etc.
>
> Anyone else have this problem? Thank you in advance. :)

Not here, but try putting your texture quality down a notch (Medium at most)
and also defrag your hard disk real well. The O&O defrag using the Names
Algorithm seems to work well. They have a 30 day demo.

Lorian.

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

> > I had to put terrain to low and lighting to medium. Every thing was high
> > and at 1152x864 (75
> > hz). This is with an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) with Catalyst driver
> > v5.2 (not upgrading
> > the driver due to MMC issues with audio), Athlon 64 3200+, 1 GB of RAM, XP
> > Professional SP2
> > (all updates), etc.
> >
> > Anyone else have this problem? Thank you in advance. :)

> Not here, but try putting your texture quality down a notch (Medium at most)
> and also defrag your hard disk real well. The O&O defrag using the Names
> Algorithm seems to work well. They have a 30 day demo.

Yeah, I had to use medium and already defragged (once a month). I was hoping
to use maximum details for all video options except FSAA.
--

In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
> I bought BF2 and played both single player and multiplayer briefly. So far, one map seems to
> lag for me. Strike at Karkand map seems to be very choppy in the center city (open area). Even
> staring at a wall was choppy!

> I had to put terrain to low and lighting to medium. Every thing was high and at 1152x864 (75
> hz). This is with an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) with Catalyst driver v5.2 (not upgrading
> the driver due to MMC issues with audio), Athlon 64 3200+, 1 GB of RAM, XP Professional SP2
> (all updates), etc.

> Anyone else have this problem? Thank you in advance. :)

Someone suggested to set CMOS' AGP aperture suze to 256 MB if you have
1+ GB of RAM. The bad sides is longer loading, exiting, etc. It works
for me and I can almost play smoothly now. :)

I wonder if this works for other games like DOOM 3. Hmm.
--

> > > I had to put terrain to low and lighting to medium. Every thing was
high
> > > and at 1152x864 (75
> > > hz). This is with an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) with Catalyst
driver
> > > v5.2 (not upgrading
> > > the driver due to MMC issues with audio), Athlon 64 3200+, 1 GB of
RAM, XP
> > > Professional SP2
> > > (all updates), etc.
> > >
> > > Anyone else have this problem? Thank you in advance. :)

not really suprising that you are getting this performance. you don't
exactly have a high end graphics card. at that resolution you are going to
get some slowdown in places. I don't think you can find some "fault" in your
setup that will correct the problem. maybe you could try overclocking your
video card. or turn the shadows down as low as they will go. they are
already terrible pixelated blobs so it won't make much difference.

actually you will get a bit of an increase with the cat 5.5's. I did. you
don't need to install CCC you know. there really is very little need for
it. You'd be better off installed the 5.5 driver and the control panel
options. this might fix your MMC conflict.

In alt.games.ea.battlefield Paul Good <Paul.Good@telstrawholesale.com> wrote:

> <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message
> high
> driver
> RAM, XP

> not really suprising that you are getting this performance. you don't
> exactly have a high end graphics card. at that resolution you are going to
> get some slowdown in places. I don't think you can find some "fault" in your
> setup that will correct the problem. maybe you could try overclocking your
> video card. or turn the shadows down as low as they will go. they are
> already terrible pixelated blobs so it won't make much difference.

> actually you will get a bit of an increase with the cat 5.5's. I did. you
> don't need to install CCC you know. there really is very little need for
> it. You'd be better off installed the 5.5 driver and the control panel
> options. this might fix your MMC conflict.

The problem with newer drivers is the usage of digital audio. There's no
way to use analog audio in MMC. I use my TV to watch TV with the audio
hooked up to my computer speakers (Klipsch ProMedia).