Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Gtx
  • SLI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 26, 2012 9:31:11 AM

Hello,
I just got my second gtx 480 to run sli. Once installed, my computer will not boot. It just repeatedly shows the mobo splash, followed by a black screen, then back to the splash, over and over again. I tested the new card by itself to see if it was a faulty one, but it works perfectly fine. My questions is, why won't my computer even boot with two gpu's in, but will with one? My mobo supports sli, and my psu @ 750w should be more than enough to run dual cards. Any input would be awesome, as I am new the boards and cannot find anything on the web.

System Specs:
Intel i5 3570k Ivy Bridge
AsRock z77 extreme 6
Gskill Ripjaws x series 8gb DDR3 1600
Kingston HyperX 120gb
EVGA gtx 480 (x2 soon hopefully)
Thermaltake 750w psu

More about : sli gtx 480

September 26, 2012 10:17:59 PM

i take back everything i just said, besides the advice about the hardrive
m
l
September 27, 2012 7:12:41 PM

Samander,
I did not see your last post, so I don't know what you are talking about. haha

Maximum.
If it was a psu issue, wouldn't the computer just shut off after attempting to boot? There is no sign of loss of power or anything, just a cycle of splash screens.
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
September 27, 2012 9:32:39 PM

That power supply won't power up 2 480's. Thermaltake makes crappy power supplies.

Even a GOOD 750W would be cutting it close for a 480 SLI.

m
l
September 27, 2012 11:19:08 PM

Just make sure you don't burn down your house with the heat of those things.
m
l
September 28, 2012 1:29:21 AM

With the psu you calculator, I need less than 700w to power my rig WITH sli gtx 480's. That being said, even if it was a psu that couldn't supply enough energy to run what I have, wouldn't it just restart or turn off instead of remaining on and continuously showing the splash screen. While this is happening, both cards are on with the fans spinning.

And Colin, I am aware of the heat that these will create, why do you think I bought them just before winter? :D 
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 28, 2012 1:59:17 AM

Spawnroid said:
With the psu you calculator, I need less than 700w to power my rig WITH sli gtx 480's. That being said, even if it was a psu that couldn't supply enough energy to run what I have, wouldn't it just restart or turn off instead of remaining on and continuously showing the splash screen. While this is happening, both cards are on with the fans spinning.

And Colin, I am aware of the heat that these will create, why do you think I bought them just before winter? :D 

The PSU calculator is also assuming a good quality power supply.
m
l
September 28, 2012 3:00:48 AM

Deemo13 said:
The PSU calculator is also assuming a good quality power supply.

I'm under the assumption that you just don't like thermaltake and their psu's, but everyone has neglected to inform me whether or not they know, or think, that the computer would just shut off or restart if the psu wasn't providing the energy needed.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 28, 2012 4:59:35 AM

Spawnroid said:
I'm under the assumption that you just don't like thermaltake and their psu's, but everyone has neglected to inform me whether or not they know, or think, that the computer would just shut off or restart if the psu wasn't providing the energy needed.

The power supply is causing the loops. The thing is that the computer will boot up. The power supply has a mechanism inside that shuts off the power supply when there is too much power being drawn. Its called over current protection I believe.

As for restarting, there might be an option in the BIOS that says restart after power failure, or the computer will just boot up again after a sudden power failure.

That's pretty much it.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 28, 2012 5:03:09 AM

Quote:
Well, as for the booting issue, that PSU is cutting it extremely close, plus thermaltake are known for bad PSU's.

From experience, a 850w+ PSU is what you should have if powering a GTX 480 SLi setup.

1000W+ for overclocks on the GPU's.

RECON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hello: 
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 28, 2012 5:04:47 AM

amuffin said:
RECON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

?
m
l
September 28, 2012 5:05:41 AM

Alright, well I was messing with the bios, went under north bridge, and disabled IGPU multi-monitoring. For whatever reason, this allowed my computer to boot, and I was able to enable sli. From what I skimmed over quickly, IGPU is the internal gpu in the CPU? Any ideas why this seemed to fix my problem?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 28, 2012 5:05:53 AM

Deemo13 said:
?

Recon-UK.... :sarcastic: 
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 28, 2012 5:07:10 AM

Spawnroid said:
Alright, well I was messing with the bios, went under north bridge, and disabled IGPU multi-monitoring. For whatever reason, this allowed my computer to boot, and I was able to enable sli. From what I skimmed over quickly, IGPU is the internal gpu in the CPU? Any ideas why this seemed to fix my problem?

I don't know why it works now, but just be happy it does :) 
m
l
!