Sign in with
Your question

HD 7970 Ghz Edition Vapor X 6GDDR5, Your thoughts?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 26, 2012 10:01:36 AM

Hey, Im building a new gaming rig and im looking for a graphics card that can handle the latest and greatest games. Im looking to be able to max games out at 60fps+ like BF3 etc.

Would this graphics card be able to do such?

Thanks.
September 26, 2012 11:16:43 AM

Quite literally nothing can benefit from 6GB vram... not even triple-screen resolution gaming. Buy the 3GB card and save your money.

At 1080p, the 7970 can certainly max everything out smoothly, but you'll have minimum framerates in the low 40s in BF3 on 1080p ultra. You need to turn down settings or use multiple cards to achieve 60fps minimum framerates at 1080p ultra in that game.
Related resources
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
September 26, 2012 11:19:59 AM

Quote: Sapphire's HD 7970 Toxic is like a Lamborghini. It's expensive, not very efficient, and noisy. Unfortunately, noisy computer components don't impress people nearly as much as noisy cars, and a fast graphics card doesn't get you girls either.
Thanks to a massive overclock out of the box, the HD 7970 Toxic delivers outstanding performance results for a HD 7970. In our testing, the card ends up 11% faster than the HD 7970 reference design, 3% faster than the HD 7970 GHz Edition and 4% faster than GTX 680. If that's not enough for you, you can use the card's dual-BIOS feature to switch to an extreme BIOS called "Lethal Boost", increasing clocks and voltages even further. The Lethal Boost BIOS provides an extra 5% performance boost on top of the card's already very good performance, making the card faster than any single-GPU card we ever tested.
Sapphire has equipped their card with 6 GB of GDDR5 memory. This might look nice on paper, but we don't see any performance advantage as a result of 6 GB of memory in all of our testing. We recently tested a 4 GB GTX 680 and did some memory consumption testing, which showed that, even on a triple-30" monitor setup, the maximum memory usage does not exceed 3 GB, so buying a card with 6 GB of memory seems unnecessary.
All the extra performance comes at the price of massively increased power consumption because Sapphire not only cranked up the clocks, but also the voltages to keep the card stable. During typical gaming, we see the HD 7970 Toxic, similar to the HD 7970 GHz Edition, use 203 W of power, whereas the original HD 7970 only used 163 Watts. Once you switch the card into Lethal Boost mode, this number increases by 10% to 222 W for a 5% performance gain. When looking at performance per Watt, the card does 10% worse than the HD 7970, but a little bit better than AMD's HD 7970 GHz Edition. NVIDIA's Kepler based cards are around 20-30% more efficient.
All power that a graphics card consumes is turned into heat that has to go somewhere. The massive dual-fan cooler certainly keeps the card cool, but can only do so at high RPMs and with quite a bit of noise. While fan noise is lower than the HD 7970 with the normal BIOS, fan noise ends up higher than the HD 7970 GHz Edition once you use Lethal Boost. NVIDIA Kepler based cards offer much better low noise capabilities. It also doesn't help fan noise that Sapphire apparently favorers low temperatures over low fan noise; a more balanced approach would have been better and could have been integrated with the dual BIOS feature.
Overclocking the card worked well thanks to the increased GPU voltage. With a maximum clock of 1275 MHz, the card reaches the highest clock speeds of all HD 7970 cards we ever tested by quite a large margin. Memory overclocking works well and reaches 1885 MHz, which is the second highest we've seen.
Sapphire is asking $700 for their card, which seems very expensive when looking at performance per Dollar. The GTX 680 and HD 7970 GHz offer 35% more performance per Dollar and the GTX 670 even offers 56% more performance for your money. You could build a dual GTX 670 SLI rig with those 700 Dollars. Sapphire does include a useful bundle with the card that includes an active single-link DP to DVI adapter, making running three 1080p monitors in EyeFinity possible without any additional purchases.
If you want the absolute fastest single-GPU card, have the money and can stand the noise, you should definitely consider the Sapphire HD 7970 Toxic; other users should probably look at a GTX 680 or 670. Source: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_7970_Tox...
September 26, 2012 11:31:08 AM

I gotta tell ya, I hav a reference 670 and I run BF3 on Ultra settings in 1080p and rarely dip below 60 fps. I guess the other parts in my computer help carry it a little but the video card does a fantastic job in every video game I play. I am seriously considering buying a 2nd 670 and SLI'ing and then purchasing a 120hz monitor for some more fun. It's a impressive card for the $$$ and I will always recommend it compared to any card on the market today.
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
September 26, 2012 11:48:07 AM

Seeing as your considering a $700 card i would recommend The MSI PE 670 it's a beast! MSI Power Edition Architecture Boosts Overclocking Potential by 22.5%
The MSI GTX 670 Power Edition graphics card is based on the MSI Power Edition architecture: Afterburner's Triple Overvoltage allows the GPU, Memory and PLL(Aux) voltages to be adjusted . The Enhanced PWM design provides 25% more current than the reference design to ensure high stability during overclocking.

Twin Frozr IV: 20°C Cooler and 11.7dB Quieter than Reference Board
The MSI GTX 670 Power Edition is equipped with MSI's latest Twin Frozr IV Thermal Design. MSI's exclusive Dust Removal technology automatically reverses the fans at startup to prevent dust build-up dust and optimize the cooling module's ability to dissipate heat.

Patented Propeller Blade technology provides 20% more air flow over conventional fans and increases the effective cooling area. When combined with dual 8 cm temperature-controlled fans, SuperPipe technology, and a nickel-plated copper base, temperatures are effectively reduced by up to 20°C and noise by 11.7dB!

MSI's GTX 670 Power Edition uses the famous Twin Frozr IV cooler from the MSI Lightning and comes with a large clock speed boost out of the box, making its default clock speed even higher than GTX 680 stock clocks. MSI is asking a $30 price premium for their card, which doesn't look unreasonable, given the improved cooling and higher clocks.When you consider the current rebate i think it's the best buy right now.This means that you can get faster than GTX 680 performance at $100 less. And. you can add another if you think it's not enough that card just screams "put me in SLI".
September 26, 2012 11:53:35 AM

Whats your oppinions on GTX 680 Zotac Amp Edition?
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
September 26, 2012 12:01:40 PM

680 Zotac Amp Edition think it's a nice card but to loud and runs to hot for my liking! Cutting a long story short, the Zotac GeForce GTX 680 2GB AMP! Edition is overall not all bad. The increased GPU and memory clock rates make it 8-10% faster than the reference GTX 680 as well as the majority of original cards from other brands. The exclusive cooler, although not very quiet, ensures good protection against overheat, even if you dare overclock the card further.I don't like the fact it using the reference PCB.Then again, it's promised by Zotac's extended 5-year warranty.
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
September 26, 2012 12:18:16 PM

What monitor res are you on anyway i forgot to ask
September 26, 2012 12:21:51 PM

Current a really crappy monitor but im going to be buying a 120Hertz, Im looking to play in 1080.
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
September 26, 2012 12:23:36 PM

o.k. well a 7970 ghz or a 680 will max out all current games n that res except metro
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 12:25:34 PM

Go with the 3gb 7970 Ghz Vapor X...if you can find one anymore. Seems newegg has been out for over 2 weeks now.
September 26, 2012 12:27:18 PM

If i was to not go down the crossfire or sli route at the momment but consider it as a future option what would be the best single GPU to current buy atm to max BF3 out?
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
September 26, 2012 12:31:26 PM

Yes i am going to look for benchmarks of that card after i eat breakfast and will post back so that way you know what it can do and you can decide if you are happy with that i rather you not buy it till you see benchmarks i would feel horrible if you spend that much money and were not happy with the results.
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 12:34:47 PM

Does it really matter about BF3? BF3 can't really be maxed perfectly by either card. The 670 will play it on max at 1080p without all the eyecandy specifics. The Ghz 7970 will also play it on max at 1080 and higher resolutions with alternatives options turned on but fps will be similar with both.
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
September 26, 2012 12:36:14 PM

I think he mentioned in his post im looking for a graphics card that can handle the latest and greatest games. Im looking to be able to max games out at 60fps+ like BF3 etc. so i think the fact he mentioned BF3 it matters i will let him answer that though.
September 26, 2012 12:36:24 PM

The 7970/670/680 will all max BF3 just fine - they'll all hold around 60fps average framerates and minimum framerates won't be less than 40. That's plenty for smooth gameplay.

The 7970 GHz ed or the 680 are the best options for performance.
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
September 26, 2012 12:40:41 PM

@BigMack70 do you know where current benchmarks of that card can be found.I always find it makes a person feel more secure in the cards i recommend plus that way he knows what to expect
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
September 26, 2012 12:45:35 PM

BigMack70 said:
The 7970/670/680 will all max BF3 just fine - they'll all hold around 60fps average framerates and minimum framerates won't be less than 40. That's plenty for smooth gameplay.

The 7970 GHz ed or the 680 are the best options for performance.
I know that and you know that but we are strangers to him so i am sure he has his doubts i would when spending that kind of money lol.
September 26, 2012 12:53:19 PM

To compare GPU's ive been using HWCompare but ofcourse it doesnt compare the real life performance just calculates from the specifications.
September 26, 2012 12:59:48 PM

What about crossfired HD 7950's, They seem reasonably priced and I can afford two MSI Twin Frozr 7950's

What would there performance be like?
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 1:05:57 PM

Two 7950's would be faster than a single 7970. But depends what you will be doing and how many monitors you are running. Not all games will benefit 100% from 2 cards, most will but crossfire does have its quirks. I always find it easier with one card.
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
September 26, 2012 1:06:34 PM

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us There is more benchmarks of other games source: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_670_Power_Ed... so this is with older drivers which means it would preform even better now and the 7970 Ghz trades blows with the GTX 680 so it would preform a little bit better then a gtx 670 in certain games.
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
September 26, 2012 1:11:34 PM

electricfirebolt said:
What about crossfired HD 7950's, They seem reasonably priced and I can afford two MSI Twin Frozr 7950's

What would there performance be like?
Only if you plan to overclock otherwise i don't suggest it it's better to just get a 7970ghz or non reference 670 imo.
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 1:14:35 PM

The Ghz will perform alot better now than the 670 if you are going to be using a 120Hz monitor or higher resolution. Turn up AA and other options on the 670 at that monitor rate or high rez and it will be playable but the 7970 renders faster, especially if you overclock it a little.
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
September 26, 2012 1:19:39 PM

selayan said:
The Ghz will perform alot better now than the 670 if you are going to be using a 120Hz monitor or higher resolution. Turn up AA and other options on the 670 at that monitor rate or high rez and it will be playable but the 7970 renders faster, especially if you overclock it a little.
It will be faster i agree i have game on both cards at that res it's still within spiting distance lol but yes 7970ghz is faster ;) 
September 26, 2012 1:20:53 PM

The problem with benchmarking BF3 and trying to figure out what exact fps you'll get with a given card is that pretty much nobody benchmarks multiplayer. They benchmark single player and get all sorts of completely irrelevant results because multiplayer is a totally different beast in terms of what it requires.

There's also the problem that there's a few very specific places/scenarios where minimum fps will dip considerably. For example, my pair of 7970s will average 100fps+ with typical minimums around 80, but they can dip to 60-65fps in a couple of rare areas/scenarios.

I can say that my experience when I ran a Phenom II x6 @ 4.0 GHz with a 7970 OC'd to 1200/1700, I almost never saw minimum fps below 45, though on occasion it would dip to about 40. Average FPS was around 60-65+.
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 1:21:55 PM

Depends if you are tight on money the 670 would be the cheap way out. Anyway, you have time since the Vapor X Ghz doesn't look like it will be in stock any time soon. I'm about to buy something else, been waiting for restock over two weeks. That rebate by that time will be over too.
September 26, 2012 1:28:43 PM

selayan said:
Depends if you are tight on money the 670 would be the cheap way out. Anyway, you have time since the Vapor X Ghz doesn't look like it will be in stock any time soon. I'm about to buy something else, been waiting for restock over two weeks. That rebate by that time will be over too.

Really? I've seen that card in stock at least a couple times the past two weeks - it just tends to sell out again within 24-48 hours. The rebate has been re-issued a few times too - there's still hope :bounce: 
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
September 26, 2012 1:30:35 PM

BigMack70 said:
The problem with benchmarking BF3 and trying to figure out what exact fps you'll get with a given card is that pretty much nobody benchmarks multiplayer. They benchmark single player and get all sorts of completely irrelevant results because multiplayer is a totally different beast in terms of what it requires.

There's also the problem that there's a few very specific places/scenarios where minimum fps will dip considerably. For example, my pair of 7970s will average 100fps+ with typical minimums around 80, but they can dip to 60-65fps in a couple of rare areas/scenarios.

I can say that my experience when I ran a Phenom II x6 @ 4.0 GHz with a 7970 OC'd to 1200/1700, I almost never saw minimum fps below 45, though on occasion it would dip to about 40. Average FPS was around 60-65+.
That's not to bad then again assuming you bought them new as much money as two 7970ghz cost back then i would be :fou:  lol
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 1:37:41 PM

BigMack70 said:
Really? I've seen that card in stock at least a couple times the past two weeks - it just tends to sell out again within 24-48 hours. The rebate has been re-issued a few times too - there's still hope :bounce: 

Yeh I've been on the Auto Notify email list since 9/18. Someone bought one two days ago and neither one of us got an email saying it was in stock. Yesterday I worked from home so I refreshed the page all day and nothing.
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 1:46:12 PM

Get a cheap "original" 7970 with a good aftermarket cooler and overclock it. You can easily get the same performance as a Ghz 7970 for cheaper.
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 1:47:55 PM

I had a cheap 7970, coil whine out the wazoo. Even scrolling on web pages. The Ghz Vapor X uses the same components as the TOXIC card. Black Diamond chokes so no whine and it runs a lot cooler.
September 26, 2012 1:50:36 PM

bigcyco1 said:
That's not to bad then again assuming you bought them new as much money as two 7970ghz cost back then i would be :fou:  lol

Value was not much of a goal when I made my build :lol: 

I bought an XFX DD BE for $600 on launch day, a 7970 Lightning for $600 the day after it launched, then sold my XFX DD BE for $480, then bought another Lightning for $600. In case you're counting, that's $1320 for a pair of 7970s :pt1cable: 

Also, I find newegg's auto-notify feature to be slow and kinda busted for trying to get a hot item.
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
September 26, 2012 2:05:18 PM

BigMack70 said:
Value was not much of a goal when I made my build :lol: 

I bought an XFX DD BE for $600 on launch day, a 7970 Lightning for $600 the day after it launched, then sold my XFX DD BE for $480, then bought another Lightning for $600. In case you're counting, that's $1320 for a pair of 7970s :pt1cable: 

Also, I find newegg's auto-notify feature to be slow and kinda busted for trying to get a hot item.
:o  :ouch:  that's allot of money but hey as long as your happy with it i guess that's all that really matters ;)  I agree about newegg :pfff:  i only buy from tigerdirect now days because i am in California and everywhere charges me tax except tigerdirect lol.
September 26, 2012 2:09:34 PM

I wanted a pair of these particular cards and I needed the build to be complete in March/early April.

This was a "let's see what can be done with my tax return" build rather than a practical build.

Probably won't do a build like this again, but that was sort of the point - a number of circumstances came together for me where I had opportunity to do a crazy build. And I definitely wouldn't recommend crossfire to anyone after my experience with it.
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
September 26, 2012 2:13:45 PM

Oh i understand what your saying now
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 2:43:06 PM

I honestly think that the newegg auto notify is broken haha and they don't know it.
!