why though?this 680 out performs the 7970
November 20, 2012 4:39:04 PM

yea u will be able to max games out with gtx 680
November 20, 2012 4:44:33 PM

sweet
November 20, 2012 6:33:34 PM

eojhet said:
You might be able to run WOW.

sorry but you said @might be able to run WOW are you kidding?ofc its going to run it..
November 20, 2012 6:42:07 PM

tdzmuzza said:
sorry but you said @might be able to run WOW are you kidding?ofc its going to run it..

Sarcasm, friend

ON TOPIC: Yes. You will be able to max every game out there.
November 20, 2012 7:57:38 PM

oh right,was going to say wait a minute my mate plays it maxed out on a 580,but cheers.
November 20, 2012 8:08:52 PM

tdzmuzza said:
NZXT Switch 810
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4
Intel Core i7-3770k
Corsair Hydro H60
Asus GTX 680 DIRECTCU II
Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz Ram
Silverstone Strider Gold 1000w Psu
Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Ocz 120 SSDx2
And will shortly be getting another 680. :bounce: 

Do you own this system already? Because you can do just as well for a LOT less money.
November 20, 2012 8:15:27 PM

Ill be building my self buddy.
November 20, 2012 8:28:07 PM

DarkSable said:
Do you own this system already? Because you can do just as well for a LOT less money.

Ill be building it my self buddy.
November 20, 2012 8:29:55 PM

^If that was for me, then here's some advice.

1) Get a Gigabyte z77x-UD3H. Any other z77 chipset motherboard around that price point would do as well - your z68 chipset is for older CPUs.

2) Unless you're doing a LOT of video or sound editing, don't bother with the i7. The i5-3570k is the same chip without hyperthreading, and games (and most apps) don't make use of hyperthreading.

3) Don't get a closed circuit water cooler. When compared to an air cooler, they have a LOT of disadvantages. They have more moving parts, so they're more likely to fail. When they do fail, they don't have a huge heatsink to protect the CPU as it throttles down. If they fail catastrophically, they spew liquid all over your computer's innards. Get a Hyper 212 EVO or a Noctua NH-D14. The second will way outperform the liquid cooler you have there.

4) Avoid buying the GTX 680s. A 670 comes within 5% of the performance for $100 less. Either get two of them, or go for two Radeon 7870s, which are amazing cards.

5) 16GB of ram is pointless. With Battlefield 3, photoshop, and 20 tabs in google chrome all open at once, a computer uses just over 6GB. Just get a couple 4GB sticks and call it good - you won't ever miss the extra money wasted.

6) 1000 watts is way too much for even an SLI configuration. Get 750, or 800 if you want to be very safe.

7) What model SSDs are you planning on getting? Because the only really reliable SSD OCZ makes are the vertex 4 series. Also, the fact you're getting two makes me suspicious. Are you planning on using them in a RAID configuration? If so, don't - you lose a lot of the features that help extend an SSD's life. Also, SSDs get faster the larger they get, so you're better off buying a single, larger drive than two smaller ones.
November 21, 2012 1:14:01 AM

Should be able to max out internet checkers :lol:  . What resolution are you going to use when playing? Anyways I was just joking around about the checkers thing. Anyways Darksable pointed out the possible changes in your build. I would say 8gb is more than enough for a gaming build. In addition, go air cooling like he said, less risky and no worries.
November 21, 2012 1:51:42 AM

Ok, put your e-peen away and quit feigning ignorance; everyone knows you have a beastly machine.

But to answer your question, yes, in 1080p your rig can monster any game on the market, and with ease.

I am running a dual 6970 Crossfire machine that is comparable to your graphics solution in terms of power, and there isn't a game I can't max with mods to boot.

In fact, you will probably be able to jack up the supersampling and force anisotropic filtering on every game, with the mods, and still get a solid 60, as do I.

Grats on the rig - it's a mean machine.

November 21, 2012 12:04:11 PM

im not trying to brag or anything,was honestly wondering,and well im getting the 680 as its on sale at the moment so its just the same price as the 670!one of the reasons i am doing so,yes ill be doing alot of rendering and editing and stuff as so,the ram was the same price as the 8GB so i thought i might as well,i hear storys from water cooling and stuff going wrong,but i was recomended to get a hydro h60, ill have the pump linked up so if the pump fails ill be warned to prevent overheating,ill be getting a 212 EVO if the water cooling fails,um i have a Z77, have no idea why i put down that motherboard as its a friends so i dont know why i wrote that MOBO ahah,but thanks for the replies:) .
November 21, 2012 3:31:53 PM

socialfox said:
Should be able to max out internet checkers :lol:  . What resolution are you going to use when playing? Anyways I was just joking around about the checkers thing. Anyways Darksable pointed out the possible changes in your build. I would say 8gb is more than enough for a gaming build. In addition, go air cooling like he said, less risky and no worries.

but will air cooling be as good or even better than water cooling?ill be going for the NH-D14 if it would be best suited.
November 21, 2012 4:57:12 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
November 21, 2012 5:04:54 PM

DarkSable nailed it on every point.

As an example system, the only changes I'd recommend to my sig are a larger SATA3 SSD and a 7970 with the free games.
November 21, 2012 5:37:15 PM

hey tdmuzza,
your system is way overkill for 1080p.
To max out most games at 1080p all that you need is a basic i5 processor, 8GB of ram, and a GPU in the 660 range (or AMD equivilant). In short, it is not hard at all to max out games today, and honestly at 1080p 60fps you will never know the difference between the system you specked out, and what I just mentioned. Heck, even an i3 paired with a good GPU can game most non-CPU heavy games extremely well.

Please note, I am not saying that it would be a complete waste to get what you are looking at... it is merely that you will never actually push the hardware for what it is designed for. If you have the money to build such a monster rig then do yourself a favor and get a screen that is going to put it to work. Get something in the 1600p range for resolution, or at least something that can do 3D or 120Hz so that you can actually harness your hardware towards something you will be able to see.

I know I am not pushing my i7 at all, even on games like Skyrim that are super CPU heavy I am only hitting ~50-66% usage, and if I was building my system for gaming I would have thrown less money at the CPU and motherboard, and would have invested more on GPU and my monitor. But as I am using this also for things like video editing and content creation I needed the extra kick that an i7 can provide.

The other issue is future-proofing the system. Over the last few years PC gamers have had the advantage of knowing what to expect down the road for game requirements, because most games have simply been console ports. In the future we will see even more console ports, but witht eh Nextbox and PS4 coming out it is going to be a little while before we know what PC hardware will be best to suggest going forward until we actually see some ported games released.
These new consoles need to be taken seriously for PC builders, especially if the rumors of them moving to x86 and being paired with huge amounts of ram are true. In the past you typically have ~2x the game quality on PC as you do on console (better textures, smarter AI, uncompressed audio, more polygons, etc.), plus with the fact that the game is designed for PPC instead of x86 you end up needing a relatively massive computer to properly play a ported game (relative to a console... which is really not all that much in today's hardware).
With the move to x86 we may see less need for CPU in tomorrows games, which is a good thing, but we may also see better support for traditionally PC only technologies such as DirectX, Hyperthreading, and PC extensions such as SSE. In other words, we do not know right now if all that will be needed for tomorrow's games will be an i3 because it will have all of the instruction extensions, and will run native x86... or if we will finally have a use of i7 CPUs because HT support will finally be supported. And with the extra RAM support there is a huge question of if PC games will run the same textures as their console counterparts, or if PC games will continue to get extremely high Texture support compared to consoles. Thankfully this is less of an issue because you can always add more RAM easily without having to upgrade things like the mobo like you have to worry about with CPUs.

At any rate, if you want your rig to last a long time, then you are best off purchasing an i5 now, and it will hopefully last you a good 2-3 years. The other option is to buy the case, PSU, GPU, HDD/SSDs, coolers, monitor, etc. that you really want today, but then skimp out on the mobo and CPU (B75 + i3) which will get you by for a year. Then next year, when we know what to expect for future games, get a proper gaming CPU, and a nice big motherboard, and pick up a 2nd GPU which will last you for a much longer life span.

Anywho... that is my 2 cents.
November 21, 2012 6:26:48 PM

Get the i7 / Z77 combo for rendering and gaming. The i5 / Z77 for just gaming.

RAM is dirt cheap right now. Get as much as your budget allows. 8GB is sufficient for gaming while 16 -32GB is not crazy if you use memory intensive apps. DDR3 is unl;ikely to get much cheaper than now. I paid over $200 for my 8GB in January 2011 when I built this computer. Now it would be less than $50 for the same RAM.

The H60 is a bad idea. It's outperformed by even a budget air cooler like the Hyper 212 Evo while being twice as expensive and louder. Get the H80 ( equal to a good air cooler ) or the H100 ( slighly better than good air cooling ) if you want a closed loop solution.

The GTX 680 is fine if it's in your budget. It's your money, spend it how you want. However the GTX 670 is within 7-8% of the performance while being $100 cheaper. In fact newegg has the Gigabyte GTX 670 on sale right now for $330 with Borderlands 2 & Assassins Creed 3 free.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?SID=bz7WcDQW...

I both like and recommend Silverstone power supplies. That being said even with 2 x GTX 680s you only need a recommended 800 watts. Newegg also has the Seasonic X 850on sale right now for $119. The Seasonic X series are among the best power supplies on the market and that is a great price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
!