plz try to solve driver problems

my computer was hit by lightning and it killed my NIC
card so i took one out of an old computer and put it in
the other computer but i couldnt find the software for it
and windows couldnt detect it so i bought a new one from
walmart and put it in and it wont work because i have to
delete the previous one but every time i uninstall it
when i reboot it detects the old hardware and i have
tried puting the nic card in other slots and restarting
but it wont run with the pci card still active
2 answers Last reply
More about solve driver problems

    You probably have more problems than just the NIC - suggestion -
    backup any important data, and get another PC, even a cheap one will
    be more reliable/stable than one hit by lightning.

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service
    "andrew" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > my computer was hit by lightning and it killed my NIC
    > card so i took one out of an old computer and put it in
    > the other computer but i couldnt find the software for it
    > and windows couldnt detect it so i bought a new one from
    > walmart and put it in and it wont work because i have to
    > delete the previous one but every time i uninstall it
    > when i reboot it detects the old hardware and i have
    > tried puting the nic card in other slots and restarting
    > but it wont run with the pci card still active
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

    First you must physically delete the old NIC so that Windows does not
    locate it and reinstall it. Or disable that device using the various
    methods described in Help. The device will then appear in the Device
    Manager with an X indicating that device (old NIC) is not configured.

    If old NIC is part of the motherboard, then you can try to disable
    it in BIOS. But sometimes the OS still finds that old NIC and tries
    to enable it. A function determined by design of motherboard and
    BIOS.

    In the meantime, if lightning damaged your NIC, then you have no
    protection. Even worse is if you have a plug-in protector. Effetive
    protection is not found adjacent to the computer. Effective
    protection is called 'whole house' as described in previous posts such
    as:
    "RJ-11 line protection?" on 31 Dec 2003 in pdx.computing at
    http://tinyurl.com/2hl53 or
    "strange problem after power surge/thunderstorm" in comp.dcom.modems
    on 31 Mar 2003 at
    http://tinyurl.com/2gumt

    "andrew" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<2657001c46301$ad713090$a601280a@phx.gbl>...
    > my computer was hit by lightning and it killed my NIC
    > card so i took one out of an old computer and put it in
    > the other computer but i couldnt find the software for it
    > and windows couldnt detect it so i bought a new one from
    > walmart and put it in and it wont work because i have to
    > delete the previous one but every time i uninstall it
    > when i reboot it detects the old hardware and i have
    > tried puting the nic card in other slots and restarting
    > but it wont run with the pci card still active

Drivers Computers Device Driver Windows XP