Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GTX550Ti Upgrade

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 26, 2012 12:23:31 PM

Hello,

My computer info is:
AMD FX 810 3.1 GHz 8 Cores (3.4 GHz with Turbo Core)

16GB DDR3 1333MHz Memory
2TB SATA Hard Drive NCQ
nVidia GeForce GTX550Ti-3GB PCI-E Graphic's
Windows 7

Motoerboard is a M5A88-M Link:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A88M/#sp...

Grapgic's Card Link:
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt...

What i want to know is my computer can handle itself and i only use the 6 cores at the moment not the 8 plus it isn't even Overclocked but the GTX550Ti is not very good and i want to play all my games on the highest setting possible high/ultra what ever. What is the best graphic's card to upgrade to and not going crazy like a GTX680 or 690. Can someone please help me out im a newbie when it comes to these things.

Cheers

Matt

More about : gtx550ti upgrade

September 26, 2012 12:39:07 PM

Your budget? Also what is your PSU?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 12:47:28 PM

You left out the three most important pieces of information.

What psu do you have? What resolution is your monitor? How much is your budget for a new card?

There is no such thing as FX 810.
m
l
Related resources
September 26, 2012 12:51:21 PM

Might wanna wait till mid October when Nvidia releases another new card. I think they now have the GTX 660 ti, GTX 660, GTX 650 ti, and GTX 650. I would pick whichever one of those cards fall into your budget once the 650 ti comes out in october.

Latest article
m
l
September 26, 2012 12:54:15 PM

Budget i dont really care about just want to have games like arma 2, fall out new vegas, borderlands 2 all them sort of games on full noise. How can i find out about the psu i brought this computer from a retail store called harveynorman the system is called a pryon. Is there a way i could tell without opening up the case??? And my CPU and motherboard are they up to the task do you think or do i have to upgrade them too?
m
l
September 26, 2012 1:09:12 PM

If money is no object then why are you running an AMD processor? The i3 performs better than that. If I were you I would look into an overclocked i5 + one of the cards above. If money really is no object then go with a GTX 690 + i5 3750k.

I currently have the 550 ti, and plan on upgrading to the 660 ti soon.
m
l
September 26, 2012 1:36:26 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
Might wanna wait till mid October when Nvidia releases another new card. I think they now have the GTX 660 ti, GTX 660, GTX 650 ti, and GTX 650. I would pick whichever one of those cards fall into your budget once the 650 ti comes out in october.

Latest article

Cheers Thankyou
m
l
September 26, 2012 1:40:42 PM

geekapproved said:

What psu do you have? What resolution is your monitor? How much is your budget for a new card?

Sorry it was a AMD FX 8120 dont know my psu and my monitor is a Samsung Full HD 1080P LED 27 inch USB 3.0 HDMI.
m
l
September 26, 2012 1:45:39 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
If money is no object then why are you running an AMD processor? The i3 performs better than that. If I were you I would look into an overclocked i5 + one of the cards above. If money really is no object then go with a GTX 690 + i5 3750k.

Like i said im new too PC's been playing xbox and xbox360 for years so i went into Harvey Norman (Retail Store) and asked them whats the best PC they had in there and this was it the Pryon. I just want to upgrade my graphic card for now cause i was playing fall out new vegas put my settings on ultra and it ran like *** so i have to run them on high. If the AMD processor is crap il upgrade it soon but for now do you think its ok?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 1:45:47 PM

You need to find out your psu. Open the case and look, check your receipt, call the company that built it, whatever.

Nobody can recommend anything without knowing that.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 1:47:14 PM

DarkOutlaw said:

Typical fanboy nonsense. Makes about as much sense as running a 2500K at 4.5ghz with a 550ti. :cry:  :pfff: 

With a single gpu video card the 8120 is going to run games just as well as any other cpu.
m
l
September 26, 2012 1:57:40 PM

geekapproved said:
You need to find out your psu. Open the case and look, check your receipt, call the company that built it, whatever.

Nobody can recommend anything without knowing that.

Ok il have alook around and see what i can do otherwise this weekend il crack open the case and have alook.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 2:02:51 PM

gtx 660ti...or hd7950.....from either msi asus evga or sapphire....good luck

both of those cards will run off of a 500+ watt psu......the problem would be your overclocked fx powerhog.......
m
l
September 26, 2012 2:09:32 PM

Quote:
I suggest an AMD 7850, its cheap, fast and very oveclockable. It won't play all games at the highest settings (BF 3 being the one that comes to mind), but I have no problem running most of my games at high settings in 1080p. Most likely it will run fine on your power supply if the 550ti did.

Cheers Thankyou
m
l
September 26, 2012 2:12:37 PM

nzrando said:
Like i said im new too PC's been playing xbox and xbox360 for years so i went into Harvey Norman (Retail Store) and asked them whats the best PC they had in there and this was it the Pryon. I just want to upgrade my graphic card for now cause i was playing fall out new vegas put my settings on ultra and it ran like *** so i have to run them on high. If the AMD processor is crap il upgrade it soon but for now do you think its ok?

This should have kicked in earlier...Like I said I do have a 550 ti currently. I also currently run New Vegas on ultra settings with no problem. I also run Skyrim on ultra settings with no problem. If you are running that bad there may be something else going on, because New Vegas can be run on cards alot cheaper than the 550 ti. It is possible that the GPU is fine and your CPU or your temps are causing issues.

geekapproved said:
Typical fanboy nonsense. Makes about as much sense as running a 2500K at 4.5ghz with a 550ti. :cry:  :pfff: 

With a single gpu video card the 8120 is going to run games just as well as any other cpu.

What can I say, benchmarks don't lie! It tickles me when AMD Fanboys try to act like they know what they are talking about. Toms Hardware Best Gaming CPUs
m
l
September 26, 2012 2:20:15 PM

badtaylorx said:
gtx 660ti...or hd7950.....from either msi asus evga or sapphire....good luck

both of those cards will run off of a 500+ watt psu......the problem would be your overclocked fx powerhog.......

lol im new to this stuff but i havnt had a PC for years. I even havn't OC it yet(still looking into it and reading forums) and it's still running the 6 cores i havn't even unlocked it to 8. Do you think i should might aswell go the whole hog and up grade to a i5 or i7?
m
l
September 26, 2012 2:27:09 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
This should have kicked in earlier...Like I said I do have a 550 ti currently. I also currently run New Vegas on ultra settings with no problem. I also run Skyrim on ultra settings with no problem. If you are running that bad there may be something else going on, because New Vegas can be run on cards alot cheaper than the 550 ti. It is possible that the GPU is fine and your CPU or your temps are causing issues.

What can I say, benchmarks don't lie! It tickles me when AMD Fanboys try to act like they know what they are talking about. Toms Hardware Best Gaming CPUs

At 1176x664 on ultra it is fine as soon as i crank it up to 1920x1080 it runs good on high setting but on ultra the movements slow down and i can notice a sort of laggyness or my fps are down thats why i thought it was a gpu problem. My temps are fine.
m
l
September 26, 2012 2:51:44 PM

nzrando said:
lol im new to this stuff but i havnt had a PC for years. I even havn't OC it yet(still looking into it and reading forums) and it's still running the 6 cores i havn't even unlocked it to 8. Do you think i should might aswell go the whole hog and up grade to a i5 or i7?

nzrando said:
At 1176x664 on ultra it is fine as soon as i crank it up to 1920x1080 it runs good on high setting but on ultra the movements slow down and i can notice a sort of laggyness or my fps are down thats why i thought it was a gpu problem. My temps are fine.

Thats a tough call. I know games like new vegas and skyrim are alot more CPU driven than fps like BF3. I am going to use skyrim because it's more demanding than New Vegas. As you can see the intel processors all have the edge over AMD. Now grant it these were done with a radeon 7950 card, but you can still see how the CPU impacts games like skyrim. If, like me, you enjoy games like skyrim/new vegas over games like BF3 I would seriously consider an i5. The i5 performs the same as the i7, better in some cases, but keep in mind that your max FPS are going to be 60 unless you have some dumb crazy expensive TV monitor that has a 120 refresh rate. I consider playable to be around 30-40 FPS. I am only running 1600x900 with a 2500k @ 4.6ghz, but my average FPS are at 60. I cannot imagine that increasing the resolution to 1920x1080 would kill your FPS so much that you fall below 30 and make things that unplayable. With New Vegas I want to say my FPS never dipped below 60 FPS.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 2:53:33 PM

DarkOutlaw said:

Yes I'm a AMD fanboy with a Intel system. :hello: 

I'm very familiar with the article. I love it when a fanboy tries to show that a much more expensive cpu is faster than a much cheaper cpu. You get what you pay for.

The article is not "best gaming cpu's", it's "best gaming cpu's for the MONEY" silly nubber.

2500K at 4.5 with GTX550ti............ROFL

m
l
September 26, 2012 3:02:00 PM

geekapproved said:
Yes I'm a AMD fanboy with a Intel system. :hello: 

I'm very familiar with the article. I love it when a fanboy tries to show that a much more expensive cpu is faster than a much cheaper cpu. You get what you pay for.

So...how is it my fault that the more expensive CPU is better than the cheaper CPU? Thats the whole point. I am a huge fan of quality. Is it my fault that AMD cannot produce a decent CPU? No sir. My first computer was AMD. Once intel came out with the 'i' series, AMD came out with...well nothing that can compare. The issue here isn't price its performance. Intel can deliver, AMD cannot. If that makes me a fanboy then yes, I am absolutely a fanboy of performance. And wth are you talking about? The i3 and AMD's best chip are nearly the same price, yet Intel's still performs better.

i3 2100 - $119.99
phenom II x4 980 - (discontinued, but the 965 BE is $99.99)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 3:04:15 PM

DarkOutlaw said:

Latest article

Since your on the subject of "best g/cpu for the money". Why would you only suggest Nvidia cards Mr. Fanboy??

Maybe your familiar with this? http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

There's only 5 Nvidia cards recommended and 11 AMD cards. ;)  Yet cause your a fanboy, you only recommend Nvidia cards.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 3:06:07 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
So...how is it my fault that the more expensive CPU is better than the cheaper CPU? Thats the whole point. I am a huge fan of quality. Is it my fault that AMD cannot produce a decent CPU? No sir. My first computer was AMD. Once intel came out with the 'i' series, AMD came out with...well nothing that can compare. The issue here isn't price its performance. Intel can deliver, AMD cannot. If that makes me a fanboy then yes, I am absolutely a fanboy of performance. And wth are you talking about? The i3 and AMD's best chip are nearly the same price, yet Intel's still performs better.

It IS about price. You get what you pay for when it comes to ANYTHING. If it's not about price, only performance, how come your not driving a Bugatti Veyron Super Sport?

m
l
September 26, 2012 3:11:15 PM

The OP already has a CPU it is a FX 8120 let's stay on topic. Look you will do fine with what you have. If money isn't an object then it comes down to a GTX 680 or a 7970. The 7970 has the best bang for the buck as it can out class a 680 overclocked, a 680 stock is about 10% to 20% faster then a stock 7970. Get a GTX 680 since you are new to pc's as it offers the more performance without having to overclock.
m
l
September 26, 2012 3:14:10 PM

geekapproved said:
Since your on the subject of "best g/cpu for the money". Why would you only suggest Nvidia cards Mr. Fanboy??

Maybe your familiar with this? http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

There's only 5 Nvidia cards recommended and 11 AMD cards. ;)  Yet cause your a fanboy, you only recommend Nvidia cards.

Various reasons. Some games perform better than Nvidia cards, and AMD needs to drop their prices a bit more. Which they will soon. What does this have to do with Intel making a better CPU? Doesnt matter what GPU the OP gets, there both on par.

Edit:
I mostly suggested to wait and see what Nvidia comes out with next month since we did not know the OPs budget at the time. The new card should be running $150, which is reasonably priced and fills the gap. AMD has no card in this price range. If there is no budget I would still recommend the Nvidia 690, because it is the best, period. I personally want the 660 ti mostly just because. So far I havent had any issues running games on ultra, so I do not even have a solid issue for needing to upgrade. People need to stop reading between the lines and start reading useful articles....
m
l
September 26, 2012 3:15:12 PM

Whoops I see you said nothing crazy like a 680. Hmm well then get a GTX 670 or 7950 both are awesome the 7950 can overclock and out match a 670 but since that isnt your kinda thing I would assume get a 670. get this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

that one offers a lot of bang for the buck and comes with Boarderlands 2 not a bad deal at all.
m
l
September 26, 2012 4:31:59 PM

mrlime09 said:
The OP already has a CPU it is a FX 8120 let's stay on topic. Look you will do fine with what you have. If money isn't an object then it comes down to a GTX 680 or a 7970. The 7970 has the best bang for the buck as it can out class a 680 overclocked, a 680 stock is about 10% to 20% faster then a stock 7970. Get a GTX 680 since you are new to pc's as it offers the more performance without having to overclock.

Cheers and thankyou
m
l
September 26, 2012 4:48:10 PM

Sweet cheers for that guys il find out my PSU then i know what to run. Stuff going for a GTX690 il probably run a GTX680 or 670. I was looking at the nVidia website and the 590 looks like a good buy its all sold out :(  Il try opening up the pc full with 8 cores instead of 6 and il have a go at OC it to see if it helps my 550Ti if not il upgrade.
m
l
September 26, 2012 5:17:08 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
Various reasons. Some games perform better than Nvidia cards, and AMD needs to drop their prices a bit more. Which they will soon. What does this have to do with Intel making a better CPU? Doesnt matter what GPU the OP gets, there both on par.

Edit:
I mostly suggested to wait and see what Nvidia comes out with next month since we did not know the OPs budget at the time. The new card should be running $150, which is reasonably priced and fills the gap. AMD has no card in this price range. If there is no budget I would still recommend the Nvidia 690, because it is the best, period. I personally want the 660 ti mostly just because. So far I havent had any issues running games on ultra, so I do not even have a solid issue for needing to upgrade. People need to stop reading between the lines and start reading useful articles....

DarkOutlaw what do you have you 550 OC at?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 5:24:50 PM

one last piece of advice...

if money is NO object....and as an admitted PCnoob, i highly recommend sticking to a powerful SINGLE gpu card....avoid the 590/690/7990/6990's like the plague.....

dealing with crossfire and sli is tough, especially with newer games if you're not really into this stuff....

a NON_reference gtx680 or hd7970 will give you all you need to thoroughly enjoy your games....

good luck

bTx
m
l
September 26, 2012 5:58:37 PM

nzrando said:
DarkOutlaw what do you have you 550 OC at?

My 550 ti just has the factory OC. The specs for it and my PC are in my validation link. Think its 951 mhz.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 6:06:14 PM

your FX 8120 is fine you don't have to change it as it would be a waste of money. I suggest getting a GTX 680 or HD 7970 GHz Edition which can be had for $449 AR
m
l
September 27, 2012 11:20:14 AM

geekapproved said:

I found out my psu........its a CWT model # PUFP4055 WITH 405 Watt max. Would this be enough to run a GTX680???
m
l
September 27, 2012 11:20:46 AM

I found out my psu........its a CWT model # PUFP4055 WITH 405 Watt max. Would this be enough to run a GTX680???
m
l
September 27, 2012 11:29:44 AM

DC O/P:405 Watt max
Total Power on 5V & 3.3V is 130 Watt max.
m
l
September 27, 2012 12:16:49 PM

nzrando said:

NO that is not enough, I would suggest a good brand 550w psu, but that shouldn't put you back too much money.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 27, 2012 1:12:24 PM

DarkOutlaw said:

Latest article

Since he knows the specs and honestly the 650 isnt worth all that waiting to be honest..Now 660,660 Ti,670.680,7950,7970 yea depending on what the op wants to do
m
l
September 27, 2012 2:03:55 PM

determinologyz said:
Since he knows the specs and honestly the 650 isnt worth all that waiting to be honest..Now 660,660 Ti,670.680,7950,7970 yea depending on what the op wants to do

He kinda already decided on the 680 I believe, read the whole post when you reply.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2012 1:49:29 PM

nzrando said:
lol how does that work the GPU needs a min of 600W PS and that PSU is only putting out 500W?

company overestimate the wattage needed and this i a quality psu so it will be perfectly fine

but i meant to link this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
October 15, 2012 12:49:28 AM

Best answer selected by nzrando.
m
l
!