Installed new PSU/GTS 250, doesn't see moniters

craigsnedeker

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
Hey,

I've been running a Gateway 4850-08 for about 2 years now and decided that I needed a better graphics card (and PSU to boot) for video-editing/gaming. The software I was using wouldn't work well with the current graphic card.

I got both today, and on instillation, the monitors do not turn on (no signal). I've triple checked the connections, tried installing the old card, all nothing works.

Something to note: The graphics card (Geforce XFX GTS250) has dual DVI connections, and I have two VGA. I have VGA>DVI adapters (one came with the graphics card) so I am not sure if this would be an issue. I don't think so because the old card should still work, and it does not.

The computer powers up otherwise. I hear the beep, the normal noises of my two-harddrives, everything. My blue LED fan comes on so I can tell right away the system is working. I thought the card might be defective, but if that was the case the old card should work (again).

Any ideas?

Specs:
Windows 7
2.8GHz Intel® Core™ i5 quad core
8GB ram

New parts:
OCZ 600W PSU
XFX Geforce GTS 250 512mb

Thanks in advance.

craigsnedeker

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012

It was a Geforce G30 or something like that. Not a very popular card; it had DVi/VGA ports so I could use my dual monitor setup.

I've also tried hooking a monitor to the on-board card and seeing if I can get at least one screen to work.. no luck.

craigsnedeker

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
Solved

here's what I did:

.1 Remove the battery from the motherboard for about 10 minutes
.2 Mess around with cables in the meantime: organizing, removing, adding, etc. Just wasting 10 minutes trying to remove unused cables and what-not

Put battery back in, boot PC, and I could see my monitor.
Turn off, buy GTS250 back in and connect the cables, boot, works.

:D