Sign in with
Your question

Installed new PSU/GTS 250, doesn't see moniters

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 26, 2012 4:04:32 PM

Hey,

I've been running a Gateway 4850-08 for about 2 years now and decided that I needed a better graphics card (and PSU to boot) for video-editing/gaming. The software I was using wouldn't work well with the current graphic card.

I got both today, and on instillation, the monitors do not turn on (no signal). I've triple checked the connections, tried installing the old card, all nothing works.

Something to note: The graphics card (Geforce XFX GTS250) has dual DVI connections, and I have two VGA. I have VGA>DVI adapters (one came with the graphics card) so I am not sure if this would be an issue. I don't think so because the old card should still work, and it does not.

The computer powers up otherwise. I hear the beep, the normal noises of my two-harddrives, everything. My blue LED fan comes on so I can tell right away the system is working. I thought the card might be defective, but if that was the case the old card should work (again).

Any ideas?

Specs:
Windows 7
2.8GHz Intel® Core™ i5 quad core
8GB ram

New parts:
OCZ 600W PSU
XFX Geforce GTS 250 512mb

Thanks in advance.
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 4:16:59 PM

What video card was in there before? Was it built in video? sometimes the bios needs to be changed to allow the system to boot from an external video card instead of the onboard.
m
l
September 26, 2012 4:26:40 PM

getochkn said:
What video card was in there before? Was it built in video? sometimes the bios needs to be changed to allow the system to boot from an external video card instead of the onboard.

It was a Geforce G30 or something like that. Not a very popular card; it had DVi/VGA ports so I could use my dual monitor setup.

I've also tried hooking a monitor to the on-board card and seeing if I can get at least one screen to work.. no luck.
m
l
September 26, 2012 5:24:56 PM

Solved

here's what I did:

.1 Remove the battery from the motherboard for about 10 minutes
.2 Mess around with cables in the meantime: organizing, removing, adding, etc. Just wasting 10 minutes trying to remove unused cables and what-not

Put battery back in, boot PC, and I could see my monitor.
Turn off, buy GTS250 back in and connect the cables, boot, works.

:D 
m
l
!