Your question

Opinions on my build for 3D modelling and rendering

Tags:
  • Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
November 21, 2012 7:20:33 PM

Here is my current build list, I'm not sure about what PSU, case, cooling, hard drive to add to it. Its my first time building a computer so I'm a bit of a noob. Scroll down to see the copypasta about my build and my needs.

GPU: GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000

Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

That mobo comes with 2 free 4GB memory sticks:
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model

I got recommended this cooler:
CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CWCH60) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

I'm probably going to save money and get a HDD, unless someone can convince me as to why I definitely need an SSD now.

Approximate Purchase Date: CPU and GPU this week or next week (depending on Blck Friday deals)

Budget Range: $1500 before shipping (though Newegg is offering free shipping so not much of an issue)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Workstation for visual effects- rendering, 3D modelling, particle simulations, physics calculations (raytracing, fluid dynamics, cloth, etc), and programming. Using software like Autodesk Maya, Houdini, 3dsMax, Nuke, Renderman.
Gaming is secondary to this, I game jsut fine on my laptop but I might play on my desktop too, but it is not nearly as important. Having a CPU and GPU that are optimized for content creation is more important.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, I think. I may have a copy of Linux and Windows 7 that I can use.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg

Parts Preferences: I prefer Intel, NVIDIA, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte

Overclocking: Probably in the long run

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe... not sure if I need to.

Your Monitor Resolution: My current monitor is 1920 x 1080 but if I can get a deal I might upgrade to something higher for a dual monitor setup.

Additional Comments: Must be able to handle scenes with high poly-count geometry, many lights with high raytracing settings (refractions/reflections), advanced particle sims and physics calcuations, batch rendering all these scenes, etc

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I'm on a laptop right now and I was getting severe lag with one of my previous projects that had many objects (40+ objects, half with high poly-count) and many lights (30+) and the lights weren't even using raytracing. Its only going to get more intense from here so I need a dedicated home station to do my work.

More about : opinions build modelling rendering

November 22, 2012 5:56:40 AM

Add another 8 GB of RAM at least. Don't worry about SLI/Crossfire as the software may not work with it.

And (i keep saying this) consider investing in a render node.
m
l
November 22, 2012 5:49:56 PM

I don't need to think about render nodes yet, my school has its own render farm and out of school I'll be working for a company that'll have its own as well. But I can get why you recommended it, if I was freelance I would definitely consider it!

I'm going to be buying some additional RAM later on, probably go up to 32GB, 8GB is what I have now on my laptop and its definitely not enough for what I'm doing.
m
l
!