Opinions on my build for 3D modelling and rendering

Here is my current build list, I'm not sure about what PSU, case, cooling, hard drive to add to it. Its my first time building a computer so I'm a bit of a noob. Scroll down to see the copypasta about my build and my needs.

GPU: GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000

Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

That mobo comes with 2 free 4GB memory sticks:
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model

I got recommended this cooler:
CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CWCH60) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

I'm probably going to save money and get a HDD, unless someone can convince me as to why I definitely need an SSD now.

Approximate Purchase Date: CPU and GPU this week or next week (depending on Blck Friday deals)

Budget Range: $1500 before shipping (though Newegg is offering free shipping so not much of an issue)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Workstation for visual effects- rendering, 3D modelling, particle simulations, physics calculations (raytracing, fluid dynamics, cloth, etc), and programming. Using software like Autodesk Maya, Houdini, 3dsMax, Nuke, Renderman.
Gaming is secondary to this, I game jsut fine on my laptop but I might play on my desktop too, but it is not nearly as important. Having a CPU and GPU that are optimized for content creation is more important.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, I think. I may have a copy of Linux and Windows 7 that I can use.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg

Parts Preferences: I prefer Intel, NVIDIA, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte

Overclocking: Probably in the long run

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe... not sure if I need to.

Your Monitor Resolution: My current monitor is 1920 x 1080 but if I can get a deal I might upgrade to something higher for a dual monitor setup.

Additional Comments: Must be able to handle scenes with high poly-count geometry, many lights with high raytracing settings (refractions/reflections), advanced particle sims and physics calcuations, batch rendering all these scenes, etc

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I'm on a laptop right now and I was getting severe lag with one of my previous projects that had many objects (40+ objects, half with high poly-count) and many lights (30+) and the lights weren't even using raytracing. Its only going to get more intense from here so I need a dedicated home station to do my work.
2 answers Last reply
More about opinions build modelling rendering
  1. Add another 8 GB of RAM at least. Don't worry about SLI/Crossfire as the software may not work with it.

And (i keep saying this) consider investing in a render node.
  2. I don't need to think about render nodes yet, my school has its own render farm and out of school I'll be working for a company that'll have its own as well. But I can get why you recommended it, if I was freelance I would definitely consider it!

I'm going to be buying some additional RAM later on, probably go up to 32GB, 8GB is what I have now on my laptop and its definitely not enough for what I'm doing.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems Product