Upgrading a 9600GT to ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepsiman

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Hello,

I want to upgrade my graphic card currently I am using a 9600gt, Q6600 cpu, gigabyte p35 mobo and antec 500w earthwatt ps. I want to know whats the best bang for the buck GPU I can get that works with this currect system.

Solution

But even at 2.4Ghz you will see a massive boost with the 7770
A very high bang/buck card, which would run in your system, is the HD7850. That's an eight-tier jump from what you have.
We could give you a more relevant answer if you post your budget, games you [want to] play, monitor resolution, and what kind of performance you'd like from the new card. On a more modest budget, the HD7770 is still a good choice.

Pepsiman

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
I just recently build a new computer. I am looking for just a budget upgrade for the video card just to get a little bit more life out of the sytem. I am not planning to spend more than $150. I looked into the the HD7770 it seem like it will fit my budget perfectly. Question now is will the HD7770 have any compability issue with a p35 mobo? and will the Q6600 be a bottleneck for the HD7770? Thanks for the help!

But even at 2.4Ghz you will see a massive boost with the 7770

Solution

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
If you're not overclocked at all, and your motherboard supports a 1333Mhz FSB, look into the BSEL mod. Effectively, it'll kick your CPU up to about 3.0Ghz even and with no side effects. I recently did this to a system running a Q6600 and an old GeForce 9800GTX+ and saw a 10+ FPS increase in Guild Wars 2.

G

if you can a very modest overclock of 3Ghz the 7770 is the way to go with your budget. an article with benchmarks of a q6600 @ 3Ghz and a high end graphics card.
Test: What about your Intel Core 2 Quad? - Gaming Performance HD 7970
Conclusion

As you can see from those results, the Intel Core2Quad is still up to date if you compare it to the FX-4170/FX-8150 from AMD. Okay in some games like Call of Duty, Skyrim and StarCraft II, the AMD FXs are 10 % faster than the Core2Quad but that's all. Everywhere else those processors are scoring almost the same at +/- 1% in both games and synthetic benchmarks . . .
Now if you compare the Q6600 to the i7 3770K you see a serious gap performancewise going from almost nothing up to twice the performance. But hey, this is another league . . .

now i am going to take a guess and any "performance gap" (bottleneck) will not be as noticeable or substantial with a entry level gaming card like the 7770. i'd be happy enough to game with that rig

but what do i know, i have a 550ti :lol:

Thanks for the link

Status
Not open for further replies.