Sign in with
Your question

7970 now considered better value than 670?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 26, 2012 5:46:22 PM

It seems that literally overnight people went from recomending GTX 670 as the best bang for your buck to now recomending the 7970. Why the sudden change? Is there some sort of new pricing going on that I am not aware of?

Please dont turn this into a green vs red death match. I just want to know if there is a reason that the general cosensus has shifted from NVIDIA to AMD in such a short period of time.

Thanks! :hello: 

More about : 7970 considered 670

a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 6:00:09 PM

I don't recall the exact numbers, you can check TH I think they had an article about it, but because of the new Nvidia releases AMD has lowered some of their prices.
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 6:03:06 PM

The 7970 ischeaper and the fastest single card available.
Related resources
September 26, 2012 6:05:21 PM

Man, I swear, this market is so volatile and unpredictable. I picked up my 670s when they were considered the best deal by far. Not only that, the 600 series has been out for less than a year and people are already talking about holding off on buying one in anticipation of the 700 series. If you literally tried to keep up with the latest hardware in GPU's you would be updating constantly, not to mention you would also be broke.

I suppose I won't worry about it. Prices will change again soon.
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 6:05:34 PM

both are great cards......i perfer nvidias new vsync caus tearing grabs my grundel the wrong way.....

but a 7970 is NO slouch...AA all day....maxed away....
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 6:10:42 PM

Yes, I got my 670 at the release price, however I was pleased with the features of the Gigabyte one I received, good cooler and factory OC'd for same price as a reference card! Buyers remorse sucks, but especially in the tech industry, the newest, latest, and greatest, is always right around the corner! Gotta go for it sometime ;) .
September 26, 2012 6:24:48 PM

Well, I don't regret my 670s. They are bad ass cards and honestly running these in SLI makes all my games run so smooth that I honestly doubt I would notice that much performance increase by switching to SLI the 7970s given that I game at 120 hz 1080. I would probably need to get a bigger PSU too and worry about overheating, which equals more babysitting, etc.
September 26, 2012 6:37:54 PM

I can't stand it when people say the 7970 is the single fastest card out there. They might have one or two vesions out on the market that are highly overclocked compared to a references version. *** fire and call me Susie, but you can't say the 7970 series is better bang for your buck. When it comes to dollar vs perfomance and take into consideration power consumption, nothing is going to compare to a 670 or 680 right now. The performance differneces between a 670oc, 680, 7970, and a 7970Ghz edtion are negledgable. Everybody is going to have brand preferences obviously but very few people will sit down and read the fine details, reviews, benchmarks, and differences between 2 competing brands before sounding off about it. I apologize if I sound like I am raging, and I am not I promise. I just think people over hype performance differences of maybe %5 with overclocks to much.
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 6:47:48 PM

If someone is looking to get a 680 or 7970 Ghz, the 7970 is cheaper. At one point up until yesterday you could get a msi 680 for $448 AR. Pricewise its better value, unless your looking at a 670 which at that point you can't say the 7970 is cheaper by today's prices, not when it came out.
September 26, 2012 11:08:44 PM

Quote:
Both cards are very good. The 670 actually is available for as low as 350 bucks and the 7970 is 390 bucks at its lowest. The 670 is still the better deal for some games. For others it may be worth the extra $40 to get the Radeon. It really depends on what games you play.

As I said earlier -- this market is just so damn volitile. I wonder how many people just turn into cerial-GPU buyers, always looking for the best "deal" and irrationally purchasing multiple high-level GPUs. What's more, these new generations are obviously staggered to come out just often enough so that people can feel justified in buying them. It's like you can feel your epenis shrinking with every release that you don't own :) 

Personally, I'm goign to skip the next generation. I think every-other generation is a reasonable update-cycle given that I'm not filthy rich. Still, I am curious as to what it's like to game on an AMD beast card as opposed to NVIDIA beast card given that I have been a life long nvidia owner. It's so hard to get objective info these days that isn't tainted by fanboy BS.
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 11:30:29 PM

I'd say both are great cards and it depends on what you want to do with your rig. I personally went the 670 root since I was able to score an ASUS GTX 670 DC2 for 450 tax included. It OCs well and I'm currently running at 1200/6200 with 52 degrees celsius as my temp and it's still whisper quiet. I planned on nabbing one more or 2 on black friday. You can get a 7970 windforce for 350 from newegg.com so check it out.
a c 185 U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 11:32:44 PM

There are a few issues: 1) People make claims without backing it up with proof, 2) People make blanket statements, when the reality is that certain games favor certain hardware, 3) People make a few FPS advantage seem like a "win", when it usually falls within the margin of error and makes no difference in terms of performance. 4)TH has sadly become filled with fanboys who sip red/green kool aid all day long they argue for days on end about this question it's really pathetic imo both are great cards why does one need to be better than the other why can't both be the better card for your needs i will tell you main reason is fanboys a bunch of losers who live in mommy and daddy basement and sit on the computer all day running their mouth about petty stuff.Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.The best thing to do is do your own research and check all the many reliable professional review sites and don't always believe everything someone tells you.
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 11:33:19 PM

nstiver said:
As I said earlier -- this market is just so damn volitile. I wonder how many people just turn into cerial-GPU buyers, always looking for the best "deal" and irrationally purchasing multiple high-level GPUs. What's more, these new generations are obviously staggered to come out just often enough so that people can feel justified in buying them. It's like you can feel your epenis shrinking with every release that you don't own :) 

Personally, I'm goign to skip the next generation. I think every-other generation is a reasonable update-cycle given that I'm not filthy rich. Still, I am curious as to what it's like to game on an AMD beast card as opposed to NVIDIA beast card given that I have been a life long nvidia owner. It's so hard to get objective info these days that isn't tainted by fanboy BS.

I'm following the skip a geneation model. I'm waiting to grab another 670 and then don't buy anything for the next 2 years. You are dead on with the release schedule and smart buyers will always skip one or two witch is just a year and half max. :D 
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 11:34:28 PM

Once all of the Kepler fog cleared out the truth started to unfold. Kepler has autoboost therefore tainting reviews. Futhermore it was quickly realized that the 7000 series was underclocked and once overclocked the performance scaled much better than 600 series parts. The AMD drivers are getting better with each release bring significant performance increases. 3GB Vram 384 bit bus> 2GB Vram 256 bit bus.

Oh and with the AMD pricing scheme at this moment Nvidia cannot compete, of course those who are loyalist and care for cuda will still go green.
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 11:37:22 PM

bigcyco1 said:
There are a few issues: 1) People make claims without backing it up with proof, 2) People make blanket statements, when the reality is that certain games favor certain hardware, 3) People make a few FPS advantage seem like a "win", when it usually falls within the margin of error and makes no difference in terms of performance. 4)TH has sadly become filled with fanboys who sip red/green kool aid all day long they argue for days on end about this question it's really pathetic imo both are great cards why does one need to be better than the other why can't both be the best i will tell you main reason is fanboys a bunch of losers who live in mommy and daddy basement and sit on the computer all day running their mouth about petty stuff.Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Right on, fanboys need to stop replying to messages since they don't give opinions but rumble and brag about their preferred brand. This fella can't go wrong with either card from either manufacture since they are toe-toe on each other and 7970 GHz is pretty awesome and can be had for 420 on newegg last time I checked. So he needs to make decisions based on his needs applications he rans. Cheers to people who are level headed and provide good input on TH!
September 26, 2012 11:42:59 PM

2 things happened:
The 12.7 beta and later drivers improved the 7970s performance considerably in a couple games
And most importantly, the price dropped on the 7970 down to 670 levels

When people were touting the 670 as by far the best value, that's because it was the same speed as a 7970 while being like $70 cheaper. Now, the 7970 is a tiny bit faster at the same price.

And stickem, I'm sorry that you can't handle the facts, but the fastest single GPUs out there are 7970 models. I don't know why that's so offensive? The 7970 GHz edition is basically a tie with the 680, and the 7970 Toxic is the fastest single-GPU graphics card out there (not that it matters with that price tag).

The 670 is still a good buy, but it's no longer a better buy than the 7970, which it was for some time.

And I don't think many people dropping $400+ on a GPU make their decision primarily based on power/temps/noise (but I could be wrong I dunno).
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 11:49:16 PM

BigMack70 said:
2 things happened:
The 12.7 beta and later drivers improved the 7970s performance considerably in a couple games

When people were touting the 670 as by far the best value, that's because it was the same speed as a 7970 while being like $70 cheaper. Now, the 7970 is a tiny bit faster at the same price.

And stickem, I'm sorry that you can't handle the facts, but the fastest single GPUs out there are 7970 models. I don't know why that's so offensive? The 7970 GHz edition is basically a tie with the 680, and the 7970 Toxic is the fastest single-GPU graphics card out there (not that it matters with that price tag).

The 670 is still a good buy, but it's no longer a better buy than the 7970, which it was for some time.

And I don't think many people dropping $400+ on a GPU make their decision primarily based on power/temps/noise (but I could be wrong I dunno).

Again the reviews go back and forth between the 680 and the 7970Ghz. The 680 wins in the games that favor Nvidia, but the 7970Ghz wins in the majority of games. The 670 was on par with the 7970 at one time while being cheaper, though the 670 autoboost feature had a hand in that. It all depends on your need SLI, 3D and CUDA are the pros for Nvidia example.

Its is puzzling why someone dropping 400-500 bucks on a GPU cares about power consumption, I mean its going into your desktop!
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 11:50:09 PM

BigMack70 said:
2 things happened:

That's basically the 3/5 things that I looked at and performance/buck and I grabbed the GTX670 DC2 since it was cheaper than the Gigabyte 7970 GHz Ed. I didn't want to spend more money but if had more money I would have bought the 7970 and add another later as I plan on having a tri monitor setup if not a 30' from HP.

People need to consider a lot of things when they make their purchases and also if you find 670 DC2 on sale like I did, you grab it you don't think twice about it and the same goes for 7970.
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 11:51:52 PM

redeemer said:
Once all of the Kepler fog cleared out the truth started to unfold. Kepler has autoboost therefore tainting reviews. Futhermore it was quickly realized that the 7000 series was underclocked and once overclocked the performance scaled much better than 600 series parts. The AMD drivers are getting better with each release bring significant performance increases. 3GB Vram 384 bit bus> 2GB Vram 256 bit bus.

Oh and with the AMD pricing scheme at this moment Nvidia cannot compete, of course those who are loyalist and care for cuda will still go green.

Check your PM
a b U Graphics card
September 27, 2012 12:00:59 AM

I've been without a card for over 2 months since I sold my 560ti. All that time I had been researching and planning to get a 670 until I waited and saw that the 7970 models were lowered in price. Which is why now I want a Ghz model without coil whine so the Vapor X is what I want.

I assume many others noticed this and have bought it out. Its been out of stock for a while and many others that have a card from last generation don't mind waiting until the next. They are saying that its too late now to upgrade. But not if you don't have anything lol.

Didn't AMD release their card first which could have been why the price was set so high, then noticed when Nvidia kept releasing the 670 and 660ti, they would need to compensate on price differences?
September 27, 2012 12:01:25 AM

AMD screwed themselves with two things:

1) A somewhat greedy $550 initial asking price on the 7970
2) Hiring monkeys to figure out what the clock speeds should be on the 7970

If they had released the 7970 at $500 with a 1050/1500 clock (which pretty much every single 7970 will do without voltage tweaks), Kepler would never have taken off like it did IMO.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that Nvidia can't compete... the 670 is just a couple % slower than the 7970 and it is a better purchase for some situations. The 680 is definitely not recommendable on the whole and neither is the 660ti, though. Even there though it's not so bad that they can't compete. If they couldn't compete, prices would drop.
a c 185 U Graphics card
September 27, 2012 12:06:06 AM

I think people care about power supply because $400 or $500 or $800.00 for a sli/cf set up they barley were able to afford then allot of times if they need to buy a new PSU on top of what they already spent it sometimes makes it a deal breaker for them
September 27, 2012 12:12:25 AM

selayan said:
Didn't AMD release their card first which could have been why the price was set so high, then noticed when Nvidia kept releasing the 670 and 660ti, they would need to compensate on price differences?

Yeah AMD beat Nvidia to the punch by several months. However, $500 is a more typical intro price for a top-end GPU... $550 was a bit greedy. It opened the door for Nvidia to intro their 680 cheaper at the typical $500 point. And because of AMD's idiotic move to release the 7970 so underclocked, they had the performance crown snatched right away from them - which really is embarrassing because Nvidia beat them without even using a high end chip.

Nvidia's 3-month long paper launch of the 680 kept 7970 prices up, but once the 680 became more widely available in June or so, it dropped, and when the GHz edition was released, it dropped even further to where it is now.

Agreed that power draw is an issue for SLI/CF users, but they're the minority. If I didn't game with headphones, my ears would probably bleed from the noise that a pair of overclocked 7970 Lightning cards makes under load :ange: 
a c 185 U Graphics card
September 27, 2012 12:30:59 AM

BigMack70 said:
Yeah AMD beat Nvidia to the punch by several months. However, $500 is a more typical intro price for a top-end GPU... $550 was a bit greedy. It opened the door for Nvidia to intro their 680 cheaper at the typical $500 point. And because of AMD's idiotic move to release the 7970 so underclocked, they had the performance crown snatched right away from them - which really is embarrassing because Nvidia beat them without even using a high end chip.

Nvidia's 3-month long paper launch of the 680 kept 7970 prices up, but once the 680 became more widely available in June or so, it dropped, and when the GHz edition was released, it dropped even further to where it is now.

Agreed that power draw is an issue for SLI/CF users, but they're the minority. If I didn't game with headphones, my ears would probably bleed from the noise that a pair of overclocked 7970 Lightning cards makes under load :ange: 
Well you know it is out of hand when someone posts a thread asking about a 670/7970 card expresses they have no interest in other company cards yet it still try to get shoved down their throat once that starts it's out of line and control somebody comes looking for help and ends up leaving confused or unhappy that's not right people need to stick to the topic and keep their fanboy bs to them self trying to sway people to do something for your own personal reasons is bs members need to help the person asking for help the right way it must be put to a stop i will do it if i half to but i rather not but it's not going to keep happening not on my watch.
a b U Graphics card
September 27, 2012 12:32:21 AM

Well the 680's are still near the 500 mark or more depending if you want an aftermarket cooled option. Waiting sometimes is better in the end.
a b U Graphics card
September 27, 2012 12:33:49 AM

BigMack70 said:
AMD screwed themselves with two things:

1) A somewhat greedy $550 initial asking price on the 7970
2) Hiring monkeys to figure out what the clock speeds should be on the 7970

If they had released the 7970 at $500 with a 1050/1500 clock (which pretty much every single 7970 will do without voltage tweaks), Kepler would never have taken off like it did IMO.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that Nvidia can't compete... the 670 is just a couple % slower than the 7970 and it is a better purchase for some situations. The 680 is definitely not recommendable on the whole and neither is the 660ti, though. Even there though it's not so bad that they can't compete. If they couldn't compete, prices would drop.

Not being able to compete is not reason to drop prices per say at least not right away. I think the biggest AMD screw up was underclocking the cards.
a b U Graphics card
September 27, 2012 12:43:32 AM

I wonder what price they would have set if they had not underclocked the card and kept them stock at 1050. I think prices would have stayed at 470 or so up until now. It gave them a reason to sell reference 7970's at the price of $399-$430.
a c 185 U Graphics card
September 27, 2012 12:54:51 AM

I think the Sapphire Vapor-X and like one or two others would be good buys there allot of them that have horrible coil whine i hope they fix that on the ones that do that
September 27, 2012 1:02:56 AM

Stickem said:
I can't stand it when people say the 7970 is the single fastest card out there. They might have one or two vesions out on the market that are highly overclocked compared to a references version. *** fire and call me Susie, but you can't say the 7970 series is better bang for your buck. When it comes to dollar vs perfomance and take into consideration power consumption, nothing is going to compare to a 670 or 680 right now. The performance differneces between a 670oc, 680, 7970, and a 7970Ghz edtion are negledgable. Everybody is going to have brand preferences obviously but very few people will sit down and read the fine details, reviews, benchmarks, and differences between 2 competing brands before sounding off about it. I apologize if I sound like I am raging, and I am not I promise. I just think people over hype performance differences of maybe %5 with overclocks to much.

Nothing eh? how about at 2k and 5k res? with 8x mass aa?? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Matched prices. How about for compute or folding ? or playing games above 19200x1080 at which these cards are aimed at btw as if you spend $400 + plus dollars and play at 1920x1080 then you are wasting your money.
a c 185 U Graphics card
September 27, 2012 1:05:20 AM

Alright knock it off let's not and say we do o.k. everybody this is how it starts just ignore it and don't say nothing it's a waste of your time
a b U Graphics card
September 27, 2012 1:10:45 AM

bigcyco1 said:
I think the Sapphire Vapor-X and like one or two others would be good buys there allot of them that have horrible coil whine i hope they fix that on the ones that do that

They won't fix the rest because they didn't realize noise like that would be a defect so they don't consider it as much. It sucks these other companies went to save $4-5 bucks on better components for cards that are sold for over $400.

And many people play at 1080p, I wouldn't consider it a waste of money. I plan to get a bigger monitor later, but for now the 22 inch one I have is just fine. It really comes down to what other than gaming you plan to do.
a c 185 U Graphics card
September 27, 2012 1:15:23 AM

selayan said:
They won't fix the rest because they didn't realize noise like that would be a defect so they don't consider it as much. It sucks these other companies went to save $4-5 bucks on better components for cards that are sold for over $400.

And many people play at 1080p, I wouldn't consider it a waste of money. I plan to get a bigger monitor later, but for now the 22 inch one I have is just fine. It really comes down to what other than gaming you plan to do.
That sucks i wonder why they assumed it wouldn't be a deal breaker i would think most people paying that kind of money for a card are not going to like that i know i would go into a violent rage and they be refunding my money :lol:  yeah right they just hang up lol.
a b U Graphics card
September 27, 2012 1:24:40 AM

They probably did not anticipate it at all, the last series before this one also had it or was it the generation before that..not sure. And because it does not hinder performance its not considered a defect.

Good thing I stress tested the last card I had before the 30 day window from Newegg went away. Most likely if it whines you will know right away when you get super high FPS such as in game menus like Alan Wake or BF3.

a c 185 U Graphics card
September 27, 2012 1:32:56 AM

Thanks for info yeah i know it doesn't hinder it's performance that's besides the point for me anyway i wouldn't find it acceptable and it would sway me to go another way i hope you end up with one that doesn't do that my friend had to send his back three times before they got right just to much imo.
a b U Graphics card
September 27, 2012 1:38:32 AM

Yeh me too that is why I am waiting for the Ghz Vapor X 7970. I could get it from Amazon for $499 but Newegg has it for cheaper.
a c 185 U Graphics card
September 27, 2012 1:50:19 AM

I think the wait will maybe be worth while i have had the pleasure of gaming with that card it's very quiet well i mean i had the t.v. on but not loud and i couldn't hear the card really.
September 28, 2012 10:01:13 AM

lol you guys still going on about this???
a c 185 U Graphics card
September 28, 2012 10:19:42 AM

TigerDirect has an EVGA GTX 670 on sale for $339 and that includes Borderlands 2.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Coupon Code: PLU72379 For the extra $20 off. When you take into account the free $60.00 game it's hard to say what the best deal right now is imo.
a b U Graphics card
September 28, 2012 12:31:13 PM

Yeh lots of people like that deal on the Diamond. But I'm not a fan of reference coolers/coil whine so I'll wait still. The 670 is already out of question for me since I am willing to pay up to the price of a Ghz card.
September 28, 2012 1:07:56 PM

bigcyco1 said:
I think people care about power supply because $400 or $500 or $800.00 for a sli/cf set up they barley were able to afford then allot of times if they need to buy a new PSU on top of what they already spent it sometimes makes it a deal breaker for them

If someone is willing to drop $400-$500 a piece for two cards, then I am pretty sure they wouldn't mind getting a power supply to support it either.

I mean realistically here, I wasn't about to pay $479 a piece for two cards without having a CPU, RAM, or anything else, to utilize all that power, to include the power supply.

a c 185 U Graphics card
September 28, 2012 7:36:55 PM

beethree said:
If someone is willing to drop $400-$500 a piece for two cards, then I am pretty sure they wouldn't mind getting a power supply to support it either.

I mean realistically here, I wasn't about to pay $479 a piece for two cards without having a CPU, RAM, or anything else, to utilize all that power, to include the power supply.
I know people who feel different it depends example my friend has a 600W PSU he was pissed when he found out he needed to dump another $130 on a PSU after he spent over $800 on his two cards.
a b U Graphics card
September 28, 2012 7:45:17 PM

I ordered myself a Vapor X 7970 Ghz so I'll get to see how that goes for most of my games/apps and overclocking.
a c 185 U Graphics card
September 28, 2012 7:50:39 PM

@selayan cool man happy for you hope you enjoy that beast!!
a b U Graphics card
September 28, 2012 7:56:37 PM

Well, if you can't afford a 130$ PSU why buy 800$'s of video card lol, sounds like an error at the planning stage.
a c 216 U Graphics card
September 28, 2012 8:03:33 PM

BigMack70 said:

I certainly care about noise. A noisy system can ruin the experience. Temps matter only so much as it affects fan speeds and noise, as long as they stay below 80C, I'm fine there. Power would only be an after thought as maybe a tie breaker.
a c 185 U Graphics card
September 28, 2012 8:03:54 PM

chugot9218 said:
Well, if you can't afford a 130$ PSU why buy 800$'s of video card lol, sounds like an error at the planning stage.
:lol:  agreed i think in my friends case he didn't know 600W was not enough he doesn't know allot about computers.
a b U Graphics card
September 28, 2012 8:10:45 PM

Yeh most people who just use computers for basic processes are like why the heck do you need 750W??? As far as noise, I hate anything that coil whines which is why I bought the card I mentioned, solid components. I don't mind fan noise either as long as it does not squeel or vibrate.
September 30, 2012 3:01:52 PM

bigcyco1 said:
I know people who feel different it depends example my friend has a 600W PSU he was pissed when he found out he needed to dump another $130 on a PSU after he spent over $800 on his two cards.

It was bad planning.

I had 1000W in my last computer, and 1300W in this one. Leaves me room later on to do more. Like water cooling on the 7970's.
!