dirtymanso

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
I recently brought a new gigabyte 7950 oc and a few days later when i installed new drivers my screen went black when i was playing a game and i could hear realy loud fan noise from my case. I restarted my pc and same thing happened after 10 minutes or so. After that i did a clean install of m drivers and it seemed to have fixed the problem. However a few days ago i did cable management in my casing and while i was surfing the web same thing happened (display went blank and really loud fan noise which i think came from cpu). Please help is my system fried or something? Im using a gx 550 w psu.

5T34LTH

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011

I think your system is over heating, will need more info to figure this out (please note your system specs, try noting most parts)
What is your PC case (some are made to be silent but dont have good cooling)
-fans
-pading
-actual part number

What kinda cooling does your CPU/GPU have
-factory stock fans
-did you build your system?
if so are you using intels cooling compound or something els?

What is the size of your room?
-small office
-windows with sun coming in
(my system overheats when it gets to hot in my small room, i dint realize it until after a while, i let my dore open now days)

Is your system dusty?
(if your system is water cooled, you wont really "see" the dust, but only a little bit of dust is gonna affect it really badly)

so if we figure your system migth be over heating, get an air compressor and blow the dust out of it...... you can buy some small bottles of compressed air online or at normal computer stores

So things to do, test your system with the side open... and if its hot try to open windows ore door's...

Edit:

forgot to tell you to test your system with some... software to detect heat... well looks like someone all ready did

Bolivious

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Its probably not heat. When the screen crashes, is your computer responsive? Or do you have to hard reset? I also had a buzzing sound coming from my speakers when it happened. If so, I was having the same issue with my 7870. Try rolling back your drivers to 12.6, that should fix the issue.

dirtymanso

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012

i have 5 extra case fans and the system was very cool . gpu around 35c..gpu usage was 0% and its a month old only and only a very very fine layer of dust is on it

dirtymanso

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012

Yes whole of the pc is responsive . and there is no buzzing sound . just loud fan noise and no display (the led said it cant detect display). As for 12.6 , the drivers were not good for me as they would not scale properly and my screen would constantly go blank but after installing 12.8 system ran great.

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Remove your gfx card and inspect it for any signs of fan damage, fan blade scratches, etc. If you see any fan blade damage, discard it. If intact, re-install your gfx card and re-connect all ext power cables to it. Try your computer now. By the way, how many ext power cables does your gfx card require ?

Hope this helps.

dirtymanso

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012

it requires 2 6 pin connectors. and it hasnot gone haywire since the last time(when i made this post) but still i will check the fan anyway. However, can all this be software related?

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Yes, it can be software problem, but loud fan noise as you describe it, cannot happen, in my experience, due to software. Software can make auto fan operation uncontrollable. The fan speed may go up and down. You hear it as fan spinning up and down. Is this what you call loud noise ?

If you suspect CPU fan, then you should check it. Fan bearing failure may cause loud noise, which may in turn cause fan blade scratches and/or breakages resulting in imbalance.

dirtymanso

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012

The gpu is almost perfect and there is no sign of wear or tear on any of its fans. And if this was a cpu problem y blank display and the rest of the computer was functioning properly

dirtymanso

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012

The temps are all fine. on load not more the 70c. and the problem hasnt occured after that.

dirtymanso

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012

The temps are all fine. on load not more the 70c. and the problem hasnt occured after that.