System Usage from Most to Least Important: Run FreeNAS for 4-8 simultaneous users at once, accessing small office documents.
Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, Microcenter B&M
Country of Origin: NYC, USA
Parts Preferences: by brand or type: No preferences
I'm building several NAS's for small businesses. I'm looking into FreeNAS.
-RAID 1 for redundancy
-Dual ethernet, as the locations all have two separate networks that cannot be bridged.
-Network switches in the office are 10/100MB based, not Gigabit.
-Data integrity and backups have priority over speed.
CPU: Phenom II X2 560 Black Edition $87.99
MB: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P 760G $10 (before rebate price, free AR at microcenter.com)
RAM: Major brand 8GB DDR3 $50
HD: 2x2TB Hard drive $160
NIC2: ???? $20
Case: Rosewill R103A w/350W PS $45
USB Stick: $15
TOTAL: $400 (roughly)
1) Based on this, I don't think ZFS is necessary, any opinions on this?
2) Should I use FreeNAS 7 or 8?
3) Any issues with FreeNAS 7/8 and the integrated RTL8111E?
4) I know the CPU is overpowered, but Microcenter has a free motherboard deal with this. Any other CPU/motherboard suggestions?
5) What about getting this refurb Dell for only $219 and then upgrade parts? http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0364193