New Build Boots for 5 Seconds and Shuts Down. Repeats.

drofenaz

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
I just finished putting my new desktop together and tried to boot it up. The computer boots for about 5 seconds and then shuts down for about 3 seconds. It repeats this over and over until turning the power supply switch off. When booting, all drives and fans spin up. There are no beeps.

What I've tried:
-moving the RAM around
-booting with only CPU, no RAM (motherboard beeped 3 times)
-checking all cables
-the checklist on the forums

Specs:
-MSI B75MA-P45 Motherboard
-Intel Core i5 3570K Processor
-Komputerbay 2x8GB DDR3 1600
-WD Caviar Blue 1TB SATA Hard Drive
-HP SATA DVD-ROM Drive
-Cooler Master Elite RS-460 460 Watt Power Supply

Solution
My first thought when working on PC's is a memory problem. If you have a local computer shop, buy a brand name stick of ram for testing purposes. If the problem persists, just return the ram.

drofenaz

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
Wouldn't the motherboard beep if the memory is bad? It beeps when the memory is not installed...

I don't have a graphics card. Only integrated graphics.

I read somewhere on these forums that for the motherboard to beep, the CPU has to be working. So could it still be the CPU?

I appreciate the help!

Munter78

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
As has been stated, remove all add on cards, boot with one stick of ram. Try to use onboard video if you are able, if not, try to find a different video card to boot from. Get into bios and see if you can last in there at least.

If that works, continue on with a hard drive and/or optical drive at most. Then install your OS, if that is all kosher install one add in card at a time.

You could have funky mobo/cpu/power supply if you cant stay stable in bios with just one stick of ram in. (try other sticks if the one stick doesnt work)

drofenaz

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012

I tried that and have the same issue. Computer boots for about 5 seconds and then shuts off. Repeats over and over. No beeps.

I'm using onboard graphics. My monitor doesn't even flash when I try to start the computer. It stays black. I've also tried a million combinations of the RAM I have and can't seem to get it to work. I'm going to get some new RAM and see if that fixes the problem.

drofenaz

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012

How do I update my BIOS if I can't get into it?

nate5532

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
My first thought when working on PC's is a memory problem. If you have a local computer shop, buy a brand name stick of ram for testing purposes. If the problem persists, just return the ram.

Solution

i did check the list, but find it hard to believe the board would be shipped with that bios since the board claims to work with 3rd cpu's. i could understand that if it were a 6x series board. im feeling this has something to do with memory.