Aureal Vortex2 Super Quad for $14!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
<A HREF="http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SQ2500-OPT" target="_new">http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SQ2500-OPT</A>
This soundcard is STILL unsurpassed for realistic sound reproduction and 3D positioning.
Oh, there are some mistakes in their add, it's an SQ2500, not a 1500.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
But I doubt A3D will continue to be supported in the latest games. Only EAX2 and EAX Advanced HD will be supported in the latest games.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't know, I think A3D support will last for at least another year or so.
You know Creative bought Aureals assets to prevent Guilemot from getting them?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Creative has threatened legal action against everyone who has posted new drivers on their site. They "own" the intelectual property of Aureal and therefor contesxt that any new drivers infringe upon their licence agreements/copywrites. So while many individuals have writen improved drivers, no one can get them.
But MS has their OWN licence on these drivers, procured BEFORE creative did their dirty work, and MS has indeed created new drivers for XP. My brief encounter with XP shoed the drivers work well. So your limited to the 2048 for 9x and MS integrated drivers for XP, both seem to be good, god help the 2k guys unless they have luck with the publically release beta driver.
Creative was SCARED by the performance of the Aureal 8830 chip, which was FAR SUPERIOR to the Live's EMU chip and still outdoes the Audigy in many ways. A3D 2.0 is far more effective than EAX ever dreamed of being. Creative filed frivolous lawsuites that cost Aureal ALL of their money to defend. Creative LOST all those suites even with superior lawyers, because they had no legal foundation for them. But the legal expenses broke Aureal. Guilemot looked at the technology and tried to buy the company OUTRIGHT to preserve this technology for themselves. They offered a HUGE amount of money, far more than Creative, for the company, but Creative responded that they would raise any offer from Guilemot by $100k. So they won, and killed the technology. The cards that had already made it to the market continue to be arguably the BEST on the market. Too bad Aureal never had a chance to update the drivers more! But as long as your running 9x or XP, it's not a problem.

G

Does the XP-drivers support A3D 2.0? Because the 2k beta doesn't, and is why I consider buying an Audigy card. If you can't have A3D - what's the use in keeping the Vortex2 SuperQuad? And I have to keep manually switching the 4-speaker output on at every bootup - which is annoying. I used to be happy though ;-)

FatBurger

Illustrious
How did I not see this thread before? I'm ordering one, I hope it's as good as you say.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm hoping that they are as good as my newer version-they should be-same soundchip. I have two of these now and have not tested them yet. I do know that the 2048 drive I'm using is supposed to perform better than the 2041 driver they came with, and that you have to set up your listening environment in software before you'll find perfection (things like your speaker type, setting the position (fader), setting up the EQ to match your speakers, etc.). I bought two for two reason-mine has digital coaxial, these have digital optical, and I wanted to be prepared for whatever audio settup I might use in the future. I also wanted a spare in case a friend talks me into selling him one.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I'm going to order one of each type from that page, but I'm getting errors when I try to order them :(

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

FatBurger

Illustrious
I did, and then I clicked on the button to verify the order, and it gave me an error.

Negaverse23

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Probably sold out. :\
The V2 SQ2500 in my rig has the Coaxial S/PDIF out connector but this newer one uses a Optical S/PDIF Out. I might just get one myself. $14 is a steal for what your getting.

<font color=blue>Another waste of bandwidth on the web. :tongue: </font color=blue>

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
I had no problems, I bought both too. I have no use for them right now, but I am going to test them for systems I am building for others. What a steal! Their cost together is about 4-5% of one of my soundcards cost new.

Why is =rand() not random when typed in MS Word?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Got an email back from them saying my order hadn't gone through. Tried it again this morning and it worked. I'll be getting lots of new toys this week (along with my Enermax 431w).

FatBurger

Illustrious
I don't know, I didn't look closely.
If I remember right, one was 4.1 and one was 5.1.
What's with one of them taking up two slots (like the Audigy does)? I'll have to take a closer look at that.

Raila

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2001
Two Slots?
Hrm..
Oh well, Mine is coming? :>
::hugs Crash::
Thankee hun :>

To Be or Not to be... DAMN but that is confusing!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
In my computer right now is a newer version of the Coaxial card, it's a single card like the one they're selling with the Digital Optical connector, but it's blue, uses colored plastic connectors, and has the coax connetion. The "SQ2200" they are selling is a very old version, I don't know why it has two cards, unless it was originally designed not to provide a digital connection and that was how they added it. You should also remember that the chip has been revised a couple times, so the "Sq2500" they're selling might be better, but I couldn't say why because I don't know what the revisions did. Since they're the same price I wouldn't have even bothered with the SQ2200.

Raila

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2001
That's pretty much what I was thinking, Why bother with the lower end when they are the same $$??

To Be or Not to be... DAMN but that is confusing!

FatBurger

Illustrious
I just figured I'd buy both since they're so cheap. I can probably sell one pretty easily. I want to test them both, see what they're worth.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I would LOVE to test mine, since I already have a different version, to see if they function identically, but I can't shut down my system to install it. I'm running a program that will take a month or two to complete. Looking to get an XP system so I can do it in half the time.