First Build

Boulter07

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Hi guys, the help is appreciated,

basically I am looking to build my first PC, this PC will be used for work gaming and maybe a bit of video editing.

So far I have obtained a Gaming Keyboard and Mouse and a kingston 240GB SSD,

I am also wondering if I can use my 32" TV instead of a monitor as a monitor will dig in £150 in my lowish budget, or is that not a good idea??

I basically want to spend about £500 more pounds maximum give or take £20-£30 pounds, I want the best kit I can possibly obtain for this budget. I will also need an operating system for it, I was thinking of using windows 7 home premium 64 bit, is that the best for the price and why??

If you are going to ask me about overclocking I don't really understand it but everyone raves about it so it would mean a great deal if someone could explain it to me, and recommend if I do it or not?

Could someone please recomemnd some parts to fit in with my Budget please, this would be a great deal of help and thank you so so so much!!

MasterMace

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
Components are built to run at a certain speed. Overclocking brings that speed higher. Ex. a processor is shipped at 3.5ghz, people overclock it to 4.0ghz, a free upgrade.

Processor speed is measured: Bus x Multiplier. Intel typically ships their Cpus at 100mhz bus. AMD typically ships at 200mhz.

Graphics cards have a Core clock and a Shader clock iirc, and they are typically tied together (one moves so does the other).

You can also overclock the memory on the processor or graphics.

Overclocking 2 of the same cpus will yield different possibilities. 1 might be great, and the other not. Once you pass an unmarked barrier, you need to increase the amount of electricity the component takes, the voltage, because it wasn't made to run at that speed with the original voltage. This causes the component to use more power than it was listed at and run hotter. An aftermarket cooler, which is advised even when not overclocking, will handle it nicely. The better the cooler, the higher you can potentially overclock.