Tri & mono-pod recommedations needed

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
March 22, 2005 7:59:59 PM

Any recommendations on a good tri & mono-pod would be greatly appreciated.
I only have one small 75-300 lens right now, but easily see myself getting
a good 500-600mm range lens down the line.

Don't really care about weight and would rather buy a quality product than
an El Cheapo one. Shooting landscape, wildlife (mainly birds) and sports..

tia
--
Slack
Anonymous

Slack wrote:
> Any recommendations on a good tri & mono-pod would be greatly
> appreciated. I only have one small 75-300 lens right now, but easily
> see myself getting a good 500-600mm range lens down the line.
>
> Don't really care about weight and would rather buy a quality product
> than an El Cheapo one. Shooting landscape, wildlife (mainly birds) and
> sports.
>
> tia
I had a Velbon VE-3 from MANY years ago as a tripod and it has continued
to serve me well...fairly simple, takes the weight fine and lets me
invert the center post for ground level shots (albiet with frame
inverted)...I had been using this as my monopod as well by velco straps
to hold the legs together and extending one leg for support...until my
wife picked up a used but "as new" ebay purchase of a Gitzo
G1564L...This monopod is great...Heavu enough to double as a walking
stick and with the addition of a $20 Manfrotto 3232 head I am loving
it...Softball, soccer and nature...
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 12:11:16 AM

Slack wrote:

> Any recommendations on a good tri & mono-pod would be greatly
> appreciated. I only have one small 75-300 lens right now, but easily
> see myself getting a good 500-600mm range lens down the line.
>
> Don't really care about weight and would rather buy a quality product
> than an El Cheapo one. Shooting landscape, wildlife (mainly birds) and
> sports.

I have the Manfrotto 682 monopod (an older variant, actually). Ditch
the 'legs' it comes with and it is a very stable monopod. I've use dit
with a ball head which is a bit clumsy. I recently ordered a proper
head for it.

Tripods. A light tripod like the 190 is nice for most use. There are
now carbon fibre ver$ion$ that are much lighter, of course.

This can be used with a variety of heads from ball to pan/tilt from
Manfrotto and from other vendors. Manfrotto ball heads don't have the
best reputation for smooth operating over their lifetime. Arca Swiss is
a favoured ball head design, and Kirk is another. Another is Acratech,
but I'm not sure where they fit on the quality scale.

For heavier camera/lens combos, then a larger heavier tripod like my
monster Manfrotto 58B is de rigeur. I use this with a huge Wimberley
head for my 300 f/2.8. This is not gear you want to carry any further
than necessary. Should come with its own cart.

I recommend you go hang out at a local photoclub and go out with them
and see what people use for various equipment before you buy.

Tripods/heads are an area where skimping does not pay.

Cheers,
Alan.

March 23, 2005 12:11:17 AM

> I recommend you go hang out at a local photoclub and go out with them
> and see what people use for various equipment before you buy.
>
> Tripods/heads are an area where skimping does not pay.
>
> Cheers,
> Alan.

Great advice... thanks.
--
Slack
Anonymous

Hi,
I have a Manfrotto 479-4B/KA17 with the 234RC quick release plate
which I am very happy with. A bit on the heavy side but plenty stable.
The quick release plate has a locking mechanism which is useful for
checking that there is a positive lock. Great item

Allan

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 16:59:59 -0800, Slack
<slacker7_remove_this@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Any recommendations on a good tri & mono-pod would be greatly appreciated.
>I only have one small 75-300 lens right now, but easily see myself getting
>a good 500-600mm range lens down the line.
>
>Don't really care about weight and would rather buy a quality product than
>an El Cheapo one. Shooting landscape, wildlife (mainly birds) and sports.
>
>tia
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 4:30:14 AM

Slack wrote:

> Any recommendations on a good tri & mono-pod would be greatly
> appreciated. I only have one small 75-300 lens right now, but easily
> see myself getting a good 500-600mm range lens down the line.
>
> Don't really care about weight and would rather buy a quality product
> than an El Cheapo one. Shooting landscape, wildlife (mainly birds) and
> sports.

Manfrotto's got a nice package deal on now (at least through Canadian
distributors), with their 190CL legs and 486RC2 ball head for CDN$219.

Tripod:
http://www.manfrotto.com/product/templates/templates.ph...

Head:
http://www.manfrotto.com/product/templates/templates.ph...

They make a very nice pair, I'd strongly recommend it.
!