Keyboard with more than 2 usb ports?

eblip

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
I have 12 usable ports on my system and that has just resulted in 5 USB extension cables using up desktop space in an attempt to get those ports easily accessible (I have 4+ flash drives I use at that same time and need to swap them out easily).

I'm probably using the wrong Google search terms and Newegg, Tigerdirect, Amazon don't list quantity of USB ports as a search filter. It seems easy enough to find a keyboard with 2 ports, but not much more beyond that. Preferably, I'd like to find one under $50 but if necessary I'll spend what it takes. Would really appreciate any guidance.

USB ports on keyboards I find are fairly useless. My keyboard has two on it but you cant use them due to amperage constraints. A single USB connection can only provide so much power, most of which is taken by the keyboard itself, so the USB ports often only have 100mA running through them. Thats not enough to run most flash drives, if I try I just get an insufficient power message.

Think you would be better off with a USB hub assuming you have a spare power socket nearby.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182212

EDIT: Also better cable management may solve the issue. Get some adhesive hooks and run the extensions on the underside of the table. Then just have them poke over the edge of the table where you want them. That way it doesnt get in the way of whats on the desk.

eblip

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012

I was actually aware of the power constraints. I thought it would be obvious if I were needing all these extra ports that they certainly wouldn't be using only one downstream connector. I was looking for something that requires having multiple downstream connectors.

I've even had zero luck finding a USB extender that services more than one downstream port. I find it very hard to believe no one has developed an extender that acts as 4 or 5 extenders crammed in to one (obviously thicker) cable with a neat hub-like device on the upstream end. Such a device would provide the same throughput with no need for external power.

So is the issue the cables everywhere (which can be solved through cable management), or a lack of USB ports outright?

If its the first, it will just come down to how you route your cables. My headset cable used to run over the top of my desk and I found it endlessly annoying moving out of the way of my mouse. With a $2 set of hooks that I just stuck to the bottom of my desk it now runs under the desk and have had no issues since.

If its a lack of ports, then a PCI-USB card is the easiest solution (provided you have more extensions).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124008

eblip

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012

My issue is getting multiple USB ports from my system to be easily accessible from my keyboard. I actually have more than 12 total ports available on my system but I need to get them more accessible than running 5 USB extenders closer to my keyboard. What I would really get the most use out of is a USB extender hub where I can have 5 downstream connectors which go 5 upstream connectors (right now I literally have 5 extender cables bunched together).