Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$800 build (some flexibility)...any thoughts?

Last response: in Systems
November 22, 2012 4:24:33 AM

This will mostly be for MMORPGs. I already have a case, monitor, DVDRW drive, keyboard, and mouse. The cpu, mobo, and gpu were selected based on a lot of research on this site. The others I just played around with based on my limited knowledge. Any thoughts?

If there are any black friday or cyber monday deals you're aware of that might help, i'm up for doing what it takes. (Note: I can get the processor for $170 in-store, which I intend to do.) Thanks!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($61.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Corsair Force Series 3 90GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($239.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Kingwin Lazer Platinum 550W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($112.50 @ Newegg)
Total: $769.45
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-22 01:07 EST-0500)
November 22, 2012 4:39:47 AM

Do you plan on playing WoW? If so, the 7800 series won't be a good thing to buy.

LOL PSU.

Best solution

November 22, 2012 4:44:05 AM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G41 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 330 Series 180GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $599.93
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-22 01:43 EST-0500)

$600 O-o. If you're planning to play only MMOs then 7850 is going to max them all.
Related resources
November 22, 2012 4:45:38 AM

Nope, won't be using WoW. Marvel Heroes is my upcoming game of choice. I typically play the free to play MMOs (won't pay monthly for a game).

What's wrong with the PSU? I think I posted an $80 one last time I checked on a build here and it was recommended to bump it up to a $120 one, but I still don't know much on that end.
November 22, 2012 4:49:10 AM

Don't buy that. Trust me, it's not about the price. It's about the Manufacturer and quality.

Just get the one I listed. Save money.
November 22, 2012 4:52:21 AM

Thanks for the input on your second post. I typed my reply before seeing it. A couple questions:

1. Why the sharp decrease in the mobo? I referenced this forum for my selection: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/347634-31-best-mother...

2. I'm trying to future-proof this machine a bit so that it lasts for 5-8 years, able to play any new games that come out in that time, and is still a workable computer as far as 10 years out, not necessarily for gaming at that point (kids will need a computer by then. That said, should I keep the better mobo, ram, and gpu?
November 22, 2012 4:54:42 AM

As for the the psu, I had pulled mine from the Tier 1 list on this site: http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx, assuming that meant it was a high-quality manufacturer and reliable psu for long-term use. Is there a better hierarchy chart I should be referencing?
November 22, 2012 4:56:56 AM

im no expert, but it looks pretty good. a few things:

PSU: maybe save some money and get a bronze modular seasonic instead. i couldn't find the warranty for the one you posted, but seasonic tends to have 3 or 5 year warranties. warranties can be an 'okay' way to measure how long a psu will last.

CPU+mobo: i notice you got a 'k' cpu, and a z77, if your not planning on over clocking, maybe save some money and get a non 'k' chip, and a h77 mobo. but if you are planning on overclocking, grab yourself a nice fan to prevent overheating and reduce noise.

Storage: a 90GB SSD... is that all? if your only playing a few games it should be fine. although personally, i would get a 128GB SSD, and either a 500GB or a 1T HDD for movies, etc.

otherwise it looks pretty good.
November 22, 2012 4:59:17 AM

The Mobo is on sale right now. I just bought it because MSI is a decent manufacturer and good with rebates and RMAs.

It's too expensive. An Antec or Corsair which are more popular and have better reputations with PSUs are cheaper and I would believe better.
November 22, 2012 5:01:21 AM

also, you say you already have a case, make sure it can hold your mobo. the last thing you want is for your ATX mobo to not fit inside your mATX case.
November 22, 2012 5:06:35 AM

Salaja, thanks for the input. I put the K chip on there because pc parts picker listed it at the same price as the non-k version. I don't intend to overclock, but would like to have the option available down the road, if i find the rig is becoming outdated.

As for storage, I have a 1T external that I hold an files on and i ordinarily try to keep my total internal usage below 50gigs to keep things running smooth. If I ever go above that, I can just get another external and keep swapping things around.

cutebeans, I appreciate the input on the mobo and psu. I'll be taking your advice, though am still slightly concerned that going too cheap might affect the longevity of the computer. Any insights as to this end? And what does "RMAs" stand for?
November 22, 2012 5:09:55 AM

As for the case issue, a friend of mine learned that the hard way when he tried to use his mATX case with an ATX board. I loaned him my case for about 3 months and got it back a couple weeks ago after he managed to get the right one.
November 22, 2012 5:10:06 AM

ruizbujc said:
Salaja, thanks for the input. I put the K chip on there because pc parts picker listed it at the same price as the non-k version. I don't intend to overclock, but would like to have the option available down the road, if i find the rig is becoming outdated.

As for storage, I have a 1T external that I hold an files on and i ordinarily try to keep my total internal usage below 50gigs to keep things running smooth. If I ever go above that, I can just get another external and keep swapping things around.

cutebeans, I appreciate the input on the mobo and psu. I'll be taking your advice, though am still slightly concerned that going too cheap might affect the longevity of the computer. Any insights as to this end? And what does "RMAs" stand for?

Don't worry, the only reason they are so cheap right now is because of the Black Friday deals. Antec Earthwatts 650 is one of the most reliable PSUs out there.

RMA means that when you return a part that is still on warranty because it's defective or broken and they replace it with a good working one.
November 28, 2012 11:08:49 PM

Best answer selected by ruizbujc.
!