Sign in with
Your question
Closed

I have windows 7 product key but no disk!

Last response: in Windows 7
February 22, 2012 5:08:07 PM

I have a windows 7 retail key (non oem) However, I don't have the disk. Is there a way for me to download the ISO (legally). I'd assume there is because most if not all software companies make the software downloadable because its the product key you are paying for.

Let me be clear. I do not really care to buy a replacement disk, all I want is windows 7 on my computer.
February 22, 2012 5:15:17 PM

Do you have a computer shop near by?, you can take it to them and say hey i have a windows 7 product key card. I need a Windows 7 Format CD, then they should guide you through it. basically you can use the windows 7 CD all you want. Windows won't install without a Product Key code
February 22, 2012 5:33:56 PM

Actually, Windows 7 WILL install without the key.

The key is required after the installation; otherwise you only have 7 days to use it. After that, you are forced to provide a key.
Related resources
February 22, 2012 5:38:41 PM

Had the same problem myself. Check out http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os....(It says its for dell but that doesnt matter) Pick the windows 7 option that you have the product key for. Burn the iso image on to a blank dvd using an image burner. Ya can dowload that from http://www.imgburn.com/. Its very simple even a noob like me done it.

Ps slow down the burn speed for a safer burn.

Good luck.

Edit: That link for dell doesnt work sorry copy it to google its the third option on the page i think.
a b $ Windows 7
February 22, 2012 6:16:53 PM

Rockdpm said:
Do you have a computer shop near by?, you can take it to them and say hey i have a windows 7 product key card. I need a Windows 7 Format CD, then they should guide you through it. basically you can use the windows 7 CD all you want. Windows won't install without a Product Key code

Hi :) 

What you suggested is ILLEGAL in the UK.... I own computer shops here, and its a MINIMUM £5000 FINE for copying off our discs for customers.... so we obviously do NOT do it lol...

It should be the same in most countries...

All the best Brett :) 
a b $ Windows 7
February 22, 2012 6:44:01 PM

Hi Aluwolf

how did you get this 'windows 7 retail key' ?
It should be on a label in the DVD box.
It should come with a DVD and certificate of authenticity sticker on the box.
(possibly 2 DVD'S a 32bit and a 64bit disk)

There are iso's on the internet which may have been hacked to break activation and may well include rootkit or virus etc.

It is strange you did not say what version of Windows 7 , Home basic, Home premium, Professional or Utimate
(though my product key label does not say what version, it does say 'Label not to be sold separately')

regards

Mike Barnes
February 25, 2012 2:27:06 AM

I know someone who's dad works at Intel and can get 30 dollar product keys from microsoft. I'm considering buying one but theres the no disk issue, and i just want to make sure the way i obtain the disk is legal
a c 371 $ Windows 7
February 25, 2012 2:33:55 AM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
!