Sign in with
Your question

Looking for that "go ahead" on my gaming build

Last response: in Systems
November 22, 2012 9:41:13 AM

So i've finally completed my gaming build (I think) and I hope someone here cares to say if it's an ok build.

• Intel i5-3570k
  • CM hyper evo 212
  • AS Rock z77 extreme4-m (if I ever wanted to add second 7970 would it fit on micro-atx like this?)
  • Giga-Byte hd 7970 R797OC (are gigabyte and this particular model wise choices)
  • Corsair ddr3-1600 2*4gb Vengeance
  • Crucial M4 or Samsung 830 SSD
  • WD blue series 500gb 7200rpm hdd
  • Fractal Design Arc Midi Tower
  • Corsair CX600W

• Asus VE248H 24" monitor

• More about : ahead gaming build

November 22, 2012 10:07:26 AM

looks pretty good. personally, i would make some slight adjustments:

-get a 1T HDD rather than a 500GB. it can be annoying to run out of space.

-get a seasonic, or other high quality PSU. corsair isn't bad, but seasonic is generally considered to be better.

-get a cheaper GPU. i've very little knowledge in this area, but usually the top of the line models like the 7970 tend to cost a lot for relatively little gain, but i may be wrong. i can't really say what you should replace it with, maybe a 7850 or higher.

also, i assume you are planning to OC? if not, drop the cpu cooler, and try to get a cheaper no 'k' cpu, and a h77 mobo instead of the z77.

this board does indeed support having 2 video cards in sli or crossfire, so you could add another card in the future.

as for the manufacturer for the GPU, i don't think it matters much. select a brand that looks like it has good cooling, gigabyte seems pretty good.

fyi: i'm no expert. i only have experience from building my own computer, and reading reviews, so don't take my word as gospel.
    November 22, 2012 11:06:42 AM

- I can get extra 640gb of hhd from my current pc and these seem they will still work for a while (altho you never know when they stop working)

- I'll look into seasonic altho corsair is suggested in so many builds

-About GPU..yea well I want to be able to get maximum out of 1900x1080 and tests say this card gets at least 60fps out of any game and going lower than that doesn't seem appealing to me

-Yes, i chose the components with OC in mind

-I know about crossfire support but I was more thinking physically with quite a big cards as i assume 7970 is going to be

Thanks a lot for the input
    Related resources
    November 22, 2012 11:12:41 AM

Your original build looks prefectly fine. Might be a better idea to simply get the non-mATX version of the AsRock z77 extreme 4 since you'll have plenty of space there.

Your PSU is perfectly fine too.

If you are stuck for money, you could always get a 7950 instead and do a quick OC on it and I guarantee, it'll be as good as a 7970.
    a b 4 Gaming
    November 22, 2012 11:16:33 AM

If you plan a big OC CM hyper evo 212 is not the choice spend another 15 dollars here and get something better than decent.

and your GPU choice is nice
    November 22, 2012 11:19:49 AM

seasonic tends to be more expensive, which i imagine makes it less desirable for budget builds.

if the card is in your price range and does everything you want, then there is no real reason not to get it.

card size: ah i see. when you said 'micro-atx' i thought you meant the mobo.
    as for whether or not it will fit the case, you will have to measure it yourself. some mATX cases specifically mention that they can hold longer graphics cards. google images will be your friend here, cause odds are, someone else has tried it, and put it on the internet.
    my current computer is a mATX and it holds a hd7850, which is one of the longer cards. my case is the silverstone tj08-e.

good luck with your build.
    November 22, 2012 11:35:04 AM

I did mean the mobo :D  My orignal idea was based on whether two slots are far enough apart so that two big cards fit next to each other. But i already realised that the actual cards are all the same in thickness and the cooling on top shouldn't be any bigger than most higher end cards.

Also now that I think about OCing, i might have the wrong idea about what is considered good for overclocking and what is not.
    My idea was that i'll OC cpu/gpu as far as I can without messing with voltages (gets too risky for me, not that experienced yet). Does OCing like this still require these models of mobo,cpu and cooling or is that still softcore and some parts are going to be overkill?
    November 22, 2012 3:00:49 PM

And thanks a lot to everyone, I'm good to go :) 
    a b 4 Gaming
    November 22, 2012 7:33:46 PM

marek505 said:
    I did mean the mobo :D  My orignal idea was based on whether two slots are far enough apart so that two big cards fit next to each other. But i already realised that the actual cards are all the same in thickness and the cooling on top shouldn't be any bigger than most higher end cards.

Also now that I think about OCing, i might have the wrong idea about what is considered good for overclocking and what is not.
    My idea was that i'll OC cpu/gpu as far as I can without messing with voltages (gets too risky for me, not that experienced yet). Does OCing like this still require these models of mobo,cpu and cooling or is that still softcore and some parts are going to be overkill?

no voltage OC a cm212 is plent but if you have been out of the look for a while you would have to try pretty hard or e pretty dumb to mess anything up while overclocking
    !