Computer shuts down after around half an hour

livinston

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
Hi

I have an old computer which seems to be shutting down after approximately 30 to 40 minutes of running prime95 blend tests.

Computer Configuration
Processor: Intel E2200 dual core 1.2 Ghz
Motherboard: Asus P5NMX
Ram: 2GB 800 Mhz
PSU: Corsair CX430 (Bought it recently after reading reviews here)
HardDrive: 160 GB Seagate Sata
Graphics Card: Asus Nvidia GT520 2GB (Added recently)
CPU Cooler: DeepCool Alta 9 (http://www.deepcool-us.com/Product/ALTA9/)

Here's the experiment which I did. Since my machine was randomly shutting down inside the cabinet, I ran it from the bench. Took my motherboard out and put the screws in place to server as a stand for the board to be kept on a flat table. Then connected hard drive and started the system by shorting the power software pins of my motherboard.

Then I started CoreTemp with logging on. Then I started running Prime95 blend tests and after 40 minutes the system shut down. Here is the link to the CoreTemp log file (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkjqdgU2_tEDdEdHcFZDSzFvempYR01NSGFHeElkT2c). The temperature seems to have touched 50 degree celsius and then the system has shut down. Does this mean overheating could be the reason. Although the cut off temp was 85 degrees celsius in CoreTemp

I called up a computer repair guy and after looking at my setup and my observations (only that systems shuts down after some time), he said that I have to replace the Deepcool Alta 9 CPU Cooler with intel original CPU Cooler. Do you guys think this could be the reason.

I have also tried running memtest86 on both my memory sticks(2GB 800 Mhz and 2GB 667 Mhz). Overnight runs results in a shut down computer in the morning. Although when I run it for an hour or so, it successfully completes 1 or 2 passes.

I have been at this for almost a month on and off. Replaced my power supply. Could use some help. Thanks in advance

chech the bios shut down temps to see where there set at. also try using an older video card that uses less wattage to see if the power supplys are over heating and shutting down. if it not a over draw to the power supply then there a bad cap or device on the mb. (could be the mb chipset) that are over heating.

livinston

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

I'm not sure because the system was not being used for around 5-6 months after I got a new system. I got the new graphics card as I had a 22" tv(with only hdmi input) which I wanted to use as a monitor for this system.
I'll try running the system without the graphics card and post the results.

Thanks

livinston

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

I'm not sure if my bios shows the temperatures. Will try it anyways. Just borrowed an old video card in my office. Will try using it today with my system.

Thanks